Problems at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems at work

I'm getting so frustrated with the way management handles things at work. I tried to report safety concerns and nothing gets done. There's very little effort or no effort at all on their part to do what they are required. Sometimes they just laugh at my concerns to avoid taking care of the problem. I was even caught in an argument with my foreman while reporting to human resources about his unsafe practices and he denied he was doing anything wrong. He called me a liar in front of H.R. and nothing was done by either one.
    Another real problem I deal with daily is a coworker who seems to have the traits of a covert narcissist. Complaints are always reported about her behaviour and NO one seems to be able to do anything about it. It seems like the supervisors are afraid to deal with her. They just stay away from the work area where she is and I'm left dealing with her nonsense. It's become a very toxic workplace. I'm getting so depressed because I don't know who to go to anymore to get any help with these problems.
    I'm not the only one who complains about this workplace. They really need the right people to come in and turn this place around. It would take a LOT of work because of all the negative mentality everyone has and how much people just don't care. I dont have much time to get all the facts and do all the research to present to them to prove that there's a huge problem that shouldn't be ignored and that there's a possibility of getting the help they need. Maybe they rather not be bothered because all that matters to them is that they're making their money. The humans can just be replaced if they're not happy. What should I do?

Originally posted by Hopeless View Post
    I'm getting so frustrated with the way management handles things at work. I tried to report safety concerns and nothing gets done.

This situation would make you feel unheard and powerless which, in turn, would contribute to feeling depressed. I would hazard a guess that just reporting these safety concerns is stressful, let alone the indifferent response you get from them. Just how serious are these safety breaches - could they cause physical injury?

There's very little effort or no effort at all on their part to do what they are required. Sometimes they just laugh at my concerns to avoid taking care of the problem. I was even caught in an argument with my foreman while reporting to human resources about his unsafe practices and he denied he was doing anything wrong. He called me a liar in front of H.R. and nothing was done by either one.

It sounds like an unsafe work environment with low morale, and as you point out, denial and defense through offense is management's way of dealing with the issues. How invalidating and humiliating to be called a liar in front of H.R.

Another real problem I deal with daily is a coworker who seems to have the traits of a covert narcissist. Complaints are always reported about her behaviour and NO one seems to be able to do anything about it. It seems like the supervisors are afraid to deal with her. They just stay away from the work area where she is and I'm left dealing with her nonsense. It's become a very toxic workplace.

It sounds as if everyone is skirting around the dead elephant (i.e. narcissistic behaviour) in the middle of the room, which only serves to enable your coworker while leaving you to your own devices. As you so accurately state, it is a toxic work environment. However, am I correct in assuming that's it's not as simple as quitting and looking for another job?

I'm getting so depressed because I don't know who to go to anymore to get any help with these problems.

Your level of depression is a clear indicator of just how toxic that work environment is for you, and the importance of changing that situation.

I'm not the only one who complains about this workplace. They really need the right people to come in and turn this place around. It would take a LOT of work because of all the negative mentality everyone has and how much people just don't care. I dont have much time to get all the facts and do all the research to present to them to prove that there's a huge problem that shouldn't be ignored and that there's a possibility of getting the help they need. Maybe they rather not be bothered because all that matters to them is that they're making their money. The humans can just be replaced if they're not happy. What should I do?
    It sounds as if the staff who do care feel disempowered, and management is unwilling to change. Standing up for your convictions and what you believe in is admirable, but if your employer doesn't want to change, it may be one of those situations in which the best thing to do is walk away.

Comment

Hello Hopeless. I can't add anything to what Lady in Blue has said. I do know how lousy it is when the work environment is poisoned and I can appreciate your difficulties. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome to the forum Hopeless. I had difficult work environment that I had to choose to walk away from. It's a tough position to be in.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
        X