Announcement

Collapse

**** Read Before You Post ****

Before you enter your description, please select the right prefix the best describes your post so that other members can make an informed decision about whether or not to your open your thread.
See more
See less

Concurrent disorders- what's the secret handshake in 12-step meetings to find others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOS (Not Otherwise Specified) Concurrent disorders- what's the secret handshake in 12-step meetings to find others?

I hope the title speaks for itself but, as a long-time 12-Stepper with just over five years (again) of sobriety, I still find it difficult to share about my mood troubles without first trying to get the temperature of the room and yet there is no doubt to me that these are concurrent issues that I must - better yet we must - live with.

Thoughts?

Kenn
    "Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding."

--Kahlil Gibran

There are 12 step groups specifically for people with concurrent disorders. If you live in ontario let me know the general area and I can check with a few people to see if there is a group close to you
    dave

Comment

Hello Kenn. I agree with Cannon and Cannon may be your best bet for info. I have bipolar, but no addiction problems(lots of other problems LOL) so I'm really not up on some of the supports available, but here are a few places that you can try.

Sometimes 211 can provide some info. 211 is a free service, ran by the gov't, that tries to link people up with activities that they are looking for.

You might also try CAMH( Center for Addiction and Mental Health "For information or support for a mental health or addiction concern, call (416) 595-6111 (within Toronto) or 1-800-463-6273 (toll free).
      •CAMH switchboard: (416) 535-8501."

Or the Mood Disorders Association of Ontario "Telephone Support Line: (416) 486-8046; Toll-free: 1-888-486-8236. Monday to Friday, 9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m." The line is manned by volunteers and they may or may not have the info that you are looking for, but they all are firndly and the call is free. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Thank you, both Paul and Dave.

I'll follow up (I live in Toronto, so chances are I'll find what I'm looking for.)

Thanks again,

Kenn
        "Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding."

--Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
        X