Announcement

Collapse

**** Read Before You Post ****

Before you enter your description, please select the right prefix the best describes your post so that other members can make an informed decision about whether or not to your open your thread.
See more
See less

Suggest me a good idea!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol Suggest me a good idea!

Can anyone here, help me find a solution?
    This is for my son, I am writing. My son is just 22. He is addicted to alcohol. The word won't be enough to describe how much he is into it. He started drinking when he was 18. His dad was addicted to gambling and it was the treatment of Edgewood ( http://www.edgewood.ca/about-our-rehab-facility ) at Toronto. Helped him come out of his addiction. But the problem now, seeing his dad, he has been addicted to alcohol now. He is out of our control now. Tried many ways to help him come out. But nothing could make an impact o his life. He is just 22 right, we don't want anyone to know about his addiction and his behavioral changes. What should we do? Should we move on with Edgewood at Vancouver? Any other suggestion? We don't want anyone to know about this. It might affect his future.
    Last edited by natasha; May 17, 2016, 05:31 AM.

hi there i would highly recommend treatment while he is so young . there are alot of good treatment centers where he will meet alot of young people his age .

Comment

Hi Natasha, and welcome! I'm replying to this thread because I've had loved ones with alcohol and other addictions. My heart goes out to you. It sounds like you love your son and want him to have a good life.

There are a lot of good treatment centers out there, whether it be Edgewood or elsewhere. The thing is, whether your son is ready to agree to go. The biggest thing, really, is about the addicted person actually wanting to get clean and sober, or whether they simply aren't ready. The only way to know is to try, as you have been doing, to help him. If that isn't working, then what do you have to lose by talking to someone at a treatment center yourself, and finding out what the options are?

Loving someone with a drinking problem can drive us crazy wondering what will happen. This is where a group like Al-Anon (for family and friends of alcoholics) can make a difference and help you gain some perspective, because as caring people we tend to get drawn into the turmoil.

If you contact any treatment center they can give you suggestions as to what to do, even if your son isn't willing to change his habits. Very often it's because those around the addicted person make changes, that the person themselves become ready to make changes too.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to welcome you to the forum Natasha.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Originally posted by tonkatoy View Post
          hi there i would highly recommend treatment while he is so young . there are alot of good treatment centers where he will meet alot of young people his age .
          Okay dear. Will do so. And yeah thank you for your reply

Comment

thank you

Comment

thank you for your reply. I should convince my son. That is the biggest deal.

Comment

Hello Natasha and welcome to the forums. Others have provided some good advice. I'll just add a few more items. First, I'm assuming that you know that you cannot force him top take treatment.

Bellwood in Toronto offers good services in regards to problems with alcohol. It has two advantages or the west coast one. First the cost is partly/all picked up by OHIP and secondly they have a follow up program. Follow up is often just as important as the initial treatment. I know the west coast place offers follow up, I'm just not sure how they would do it here in Ontario. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m
                "Alone we can do so little;
                Together we can do so much"
                Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by paul m View Post
                  Hello Natasha and welcome to the forums. Others have provided some good advice. I'll just add a few more items. First, I'm assuming that you know that you cannot force him top take treatment.

Bellwood in Toronto offers good services in regards to problems with alcohol. It has two advantages or the west coast one. First the cost is partly/all picked up by OHIP and secondly they have a follow up program. Follow up is often just as important as the initial treatment. I know the west coast place offers follow up, I'm just not sure how they would do it here in Ontario. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m
                  Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                  X