you can lead a horse to water...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can lead a horse to water...

My mom is almost certainly bipolar, but she decided she doesn't need a Pdoc and that she should just take an anti-depressant because it worked for her sister. She kind of ignores the fact that her sister took it only for 6 months to help get through a difficult time. How sad is it that I've been living with this for over a decade, can share all sorts of tips and tricks on this forum, and yet be unable to convince my own mother to see a Pdoc just to get an evaluation done I'm pretty sure she's in a manic phase for a while now. so i want her off the anti-depressants asap.... I know a lot of her mood stuff could be attributed to menopause, but considering that I'm bipolar I think its pretty likely she is too.
    so, what else can i do? i've already tried talking to her, but she's refusing to listen

Hello Amber25. It's always tough dealing with someone close who has a serious illness that they don't want to take seriously. It's even harder with bipolar as I don't think that too many people who are in a manic phase are going to listen to common sense. However if you wait till she is no longer manic and then give her some mental health brochures she might read them. But you are right you cannot just force someone to get help. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Hey Amber25, I agree with Paul; waiting out the manic phase might be a better time to confront your mother again about her health. I understand that it must be hard to watch her go through the ups and downs knowing that there might be a way to help her live her
      life more enjoyably.
      Right now I'm trying to help out a young girl get through a rough patch in her life. Although she is ambivalent about whether she
      wants her disorder to stay or go, it is easier to get treatment for her because she is under age and still under her parent's care so
      if she needs help, her parents can make her get it, so to speak.

I'm sorry I couldn't give any great advice but I wish you good luck!
      astronaut

Comment

blah. the problem with waiting is i suspect the pills she's taking are keeping her manic. will she ever come down if she keeps taking those? : /

Comment

I've had antidepressants make me manic, and I stayed manic the whole time I was on them.

Maybe your Mom will decide that since she feels better she no longer needs the pills and stop taking them. Unless her mania is dysphoric?

Good luck.
          Rebecca

Comment

Hello Amber25. I agree with Sweetest1. When I took antidepressants(A/D's) I was nearly always manic, not a huge 100% manic all of the time, but certainly a hypomanic where I didn't listen to reason and they certainly screwed up my life as I bounced between mania and hypomania for months on end.

If it was my mother I would determine which doctor was writing out the presciptions for the A/D's and then I would start out by writing him an annoymous letter about the effect that I thought the A/D's were having on her. There are other options, but no good or simple ones. Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
            X