New to forum - Mom has Bipolar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Gtchamp, Tracey

Glad to hear back from you though, from what you say, things have been a little rough lately.

I was in group therapy a while ago before I was properly diagnosed and although the therapy was helpful in regards to my troubled childhood and I gained some insight into how I tick, the part of me that has to do with brain chemistry really took a hit as you have been finding.

I think counselling that focuses on the here and now, how you are coping would be helpful. I think it's probably better to let the past go until you regain equilibrium. For me, talking about the past is a trigger.

I hope you will be able to work with your pdoc re your medication. For myself medication trumps therapy every time but, to be fair, everyone is different.

Let us know how you make out with the doctor.

Comment

For me it's all about timing and balance. If I'm stable (bipolar stable) then there is some room to work thru 'issues'. A lot of it's past stuff, but not all of it. If my moods aren't stable, then working toward having my moods being stable, well that's already too much.

Of course one does not happen in isolation from the other... I wish. For example, some of the past comes back to haunt me at night in the form of nightmares. This adds to my problem of not getting enough sleep, which makes getting my moods on track even more of a challenge.

I am also one of those talk now, feel later. My T.doc never asked me about it, but my P.doc did the next time I saw her after sharing some painful past stuff with her. Paul's right (as always), we do need to tell them what the experience is like for us.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello AJ. I love the term "bipolar stable" . I have to remember that one, it's so accurate.

Nightmares haunt me too. I have stretches where I do not want to go to sleep because I know I will have bad dreams. My bad dreams are seldom of the kind with monsters etc, but rather ones of chronically failing or letting people down. I've gotten over those thoughts(pretty much) in the day time, but when I sleep.....

Thx for your comment. Can you please speak to Mrs m, she seems to have a different opinion about how often I'm right . Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

I only had three appointment with the Tdoc through my EAP When I came back for my second appointment I told him about how I felt afterwards, the downward spiral and we agreed at that point to take it more slowly. If you can do the Tdoc and Pdoc. That is great. You are very lucky. To properly deal with mental illnesses, you need a mix of both. But they need to be balanced.

Regarding Epival. My understanding is there are two thresholds, one for if you are Bipolar and the other if your Epileptic. Make sure they are not confusing the two.
          Woody

Comment

Grrrr, you are so right Woody. That is exactly what they told me about the therapeutic levels of Epival. I guess I am just getting tired of the side effects and also a little worried since I have been on valporic acid (Epival) since I was around 21. I constantly worry about my liver even though they are always checking my blood levels every 3 months. I know. Call me a worry wart.

Thanks for all the updates and insights regarding counselling. I have the resourses, I believe, available to me to go slow. Much like you Leila, the past is a trigger for me so I think I need to focus on the future. We were able to acertain exactly what needs to be worked on. I just need to practice. And they all said it will effect me both emotionally and bipolarlly.

But, hey...on a brighter note...it is the holiday season and I am feeling ALOT better then I did 4 weeks ago.

My family is "getting" it. My little girl is no longer lashing out. We have had long talks about my illness and now she seems happy. I think she just needed everything explained in more detail. She wanted me to "go away". I was a problem. But I explained to her that she was looking at it wrong. We have all be blessed in this family (I know...blessed...I'll deal with getting over that one on my own time ) with this illness. Later in her life it might help her, be able to have empathy for others. But running away is not an option. After that all is good.
            Thanks
            Tracey

Comment

Hello Tracey. I'm glad things are going a little better and thx for telling us. It helps when we can see something positive sometimes. Take Care. paul m

Hello Everyone. Tracey is very courageous to discuss her illness with her daughter. It is a very difficult thing to do. All to often we as parents try to hide our illness from them. This is a normal reaction. However sometimes we also delude ourselves into thinking that they will never have this illness and I hope they never do.

While there is no direct gentic link, it is becoming more apparent that there is a genetic predisposition towards this illness.

My illness progressed at a slow rate peaking in my 40's. My son's progreesed rapidly and hit hard at age 21 with little warning. He freely admits that if he had not known to go to the emergency ward for help, he might not be here today. That seems simple, but most young people do not know where to go for treatment if they have suicidal thoughts(a lot do not have doctors or doctors they trust).

My point is, if you have a mental illness and kids/grandkids etc, make sure they understand that it's ok to ask for help and where to get it. brouchures etc are a great way to get the point accross without nagging. It's a scarey difficult subject, but not as scarey as the alternative might be if it's not discussed. Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

I had to remind my Pdoc today that we had not checked my levels in some time. I know what to watch for if my levels are to high but to low is not alway so apparent. We are doing liver function tests too.

I'm glad you were able to get through to your daughter. That has to be a big relief.
                Last edited by Woody; December 9, 2009, 05:13 PM. Reason: typo
                Woody

Comment

it's definitely not easy to speak to our kids about our illness... I found it difficult, and I still occasionally have to send reminders. he's 16, and when he wants me to do something with him, I should be able to just jump up and go - but emotionally that is not always an option. it hurts when it's implied that I'm using my illness to avoid doing things.
                  I know I only have a little bit of time left where he will want me to go places or do things with him... I can only hope he'll remember the times we could go out, and not those that we couldn't!

hats off to you Tracey...

Anne.
                  Anne.

Comment

Thanks Anne and good luck with your son. I know it can be difficult at times. My older daughter (12), she just gets it. I got her some counselling early for some of her own issues and there she was able to talk about me. Plus we are open at home, so she just gets it. I just have to watch she doesn't go into caregiver mode too much.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I recently contacted the Mood Disorders Association of Ontario located in Toronto. They have a website, www.mooddisorders.on.ca and their toll free number is 1-888-486-8236. In my quest to get information to explain things to my younger daughter, I was lead to this spot. I was told that they are going to send me some age appropriate information. I have not recieved it yet but they were very nice. Just thought I would pass that along.

Take care
                    Tracey

Comment

Thamks for sharing that information and link Tracey. Let us know what you think of the info they send you.
                      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                      for not being what they believe they should be.
                      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi gtchamp, Tracey

I'm glad that things are looking up for you. I think it's good that you are being open with your daughter about having a mood disorder. When my son was young I tried to hide my illness from him and I thought I was doing a good job of it but I wasn't. Once I got a better handle on my illness, and he got to an age that I thought he could understand it, I did start to share my challenges with him his response was "Well that explains a lot".

Now that he's older, it is like he has a truth-a-meter and he can tell when it's bipolar or when it's a cop out. He really understands if I just can't do something and I believe he really appreciates when I do something for him because he knows it required extra effort.

He likes those days with muffins too.

Comment

Hello Anne. Kids grow up pretty understanding about a mood disorder if we give them a chance. Your right a 16 yr old doesn't always understand, but then neither does my 27 yr old and he has bipolar. Kids tend to automatically figure their parents can do what they want them to do. Logic is not always involved, but as long as love is , it doesn't matter. Take Care. paul m

Hello Tracey. Thx for listing the MDAO's website. Various mood disorders organizations do different things really well. Some do well at lobbying ( www.mooddisorderscanada.ca this site) , some have info etc. The MDAO's info is second to none. They also have some nice people posting on their forum . Take Care. paul m
                          Helen Keller

Comment

Good news Tracey

The MDAO comes at least once a year to our weekly mood disorders group. It is always a pleasure to have them over.
                            Woody

Comment

Working...
                            X