Toronto Star Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toronto Star Article

Hello Everyone. In Ontario a few yrs ago the Gov't passed a law that allowed people on Ontario disability or Ontario welfare with special dietary concerns to get a small amount extra every mth. When your income is very limited it can be hard to eat the right foods if you have something like severe diabetes.

It was a good concept until the bueaucrats got a hold of it and made it full of forms to be filled out. Many docs stopped filling out the form.

The rest of this tragic storey can be found at http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...tter-diet?bn=1 .

I'm not defending the doc who probably made a good $, and I don't doubt some people got and extra $50 a mth when they shouldn't have, but that happens when you expect people to live on $572 a mth. Overall though the people that I know who applied and deserved the special allowance just gave up in frustration.

One citys chief medical officer suggests giving people an extra $100 per mth so they can eat properly. If he thinks that going from $572 to $672 a mth is going to help, I need some of his drugs to make me feel better. Take Care. paul m P.S. $572 a mth is what you get if you are deemed employable whether or not there any jobs. It's also what you get while waiting for disability which takes 8-10 mths to approve.
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

358$ of that 572 is for rent
    Last edited by Woody; December 14, 2009, 03:44 PM. Reason: 358$ and not 458$
    Woody

Comment

Wow. $114 to use as they like, telephone , food, lavish entertainment. Sad but true, if they decide to share an apt to save on rent then they get a smaller rental allowance. Take Care. paul m
      Helen Keller

Comment

Oh my goodness!! I can't believe it. I am just so saddened by what I have just read. I had no idea. I guess I am pretty naive.

(My husband has been doing the finances since I went on disability and spent a whole bunch of money when I was hypomanic.)

Comment

What was it again ... let them eat cake? ... NO Kraft dinner!
          Woody

Comment

Hello Woody. There are various events around here where the entry is $5 and a non-perishable food item. Every time I see somebody throw in a box of kraft dinner I'm tempted to say. "Pardon me sir, the sign said non-perishable, not will last forever food item" . I would say it too, but every other person driving a new caddy thinks he's blessing the poor by throwing in two boxes. Not exactly true, I do know some very generous rich people.

I do appreciate anybodies givings, but I wish these places would just charge and extra $1 and then give it to the food bank to buy what is needed . Take Care. paul m
            Helen Keller

Comment

I am so sorry, but I seem to have made a typo
              The max for rent is not 458, but 358.

Woody

Comment

That's Ok Woody. I doubt if you can find a place to rent for $458 or $358. Take Care. paul m
                Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                X