Family Member Tried to Commit Suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Member Tried to Commit Suicide

Today we got the news that my husbands grandmother (91) tried to commit suicide. At this point in time we have no details as to her condition but we are aware as to how she was planning on doing it just not how far she succeeded. It turns out she has been suffering from depression for years. I talked with my mother in law today and she said that her mother describes herself as wanting to stay in bed all day, lonely, and other words etc. I told her that these are all things that I have said to my doctor on occation and that she isn't properly medicated. That she needs someone to speak up for her. The problem is that they are french and I am english. My mother in law is the one who speaks english to me and our conversation didn't start out that good. She first said to me .... "I can't believe she is doing this to us, we are Catholic, she promised". It took alot of talking on my part to convince her that religion has nothing to do with what happened. Anyway, I just can't believe how much it has really shaken me up. I had to take a tranquilizer today and was tearful. It has brought back memories of the hospital for me and other very sad times. WOW....I didn't know this could shake me up so much.
    Trying to cope
    Tracey

Tracey it is a big thing, you are having a perfectly normal reaction to it. Good for you for explaining what suicide is not. Other's suicide attempts always bring up our own stuff. Just happens. The fact that it's family, just makes it that much more profound. Be gentle with yourself.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Tracey. That's really tough news. Suicides of even causal aquaintances always set me back. Somebody close attempting it must be tough. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Tracey, I'm saddened at hearing about the suicide attempt, especially in someone who is 91. And I understand the unexpected emotional reaction you`ve been having, because I went through something similar recently. Strange how it can hit us so hard even when we`re not that close to the person. I guess there must be reasons. Those of us with mood disorders, I believe, are capable of great sensitivity and empathy.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Oh my...thank you sooooooo much everyone for all your kind words. We found out this morning that she is going to be fine but, of course, will be under supervision on a special ward. I'm just trying to keep things light today because of some other stuff. I can't fall apart right now. My mom saw me last night and she said I don't look good escpecially when it was only about 6 weeks ago that there was talk of putting me in the hospital to take away all my stress in life.....oh goodness....the tears may come right now and a child is behind me so I must sign off. Take care everyone. Tracey

Comment

In-laws and I will leave it to that!
            Sorry to hear all this Tracey. Thoughts are with you
            Woody

Comment

Hi GTchamp

I am sorry to hear about your mother-in-law but glad to hear she is going to be alright. Perhaps now she will receive some medication as depression is under diagnosed among the elderly.

Take care of yourself and I get the impression that you are staying well in spite of the difficult circumstances.

Comment

You have a family of friends here even with anonymous names. I too am sorry for your situation. Remember feelings are real and it is normal to feel badly when someone does this. I believe that your grandmother in law will get good treatment now. I also hope you take care of yourself and it looks like you are.
                To the world you may be one person...but to one person you are the world.

Comment

Good morning everyone. I have to thank you all for being so supportive. I am feeling at a breaking point right now. Usually at these points in the past I would be in to see the doctor and, of course, meds would be altered but I don't want my meds changed so I am trying to cope through the holidays. However, each day I seem to be getting worse. I seem to be regressing. About two months ago they thought I was rapid cycling but that the up swing was being managed by the meds so I would go "normal" then dip down low then back up and so on. I am starting to feel like that again. I'm a bit scared to tell you the truth because besides you guys, I am not telling anyone yet. I'm just tired of it all. Tired of people (family) not understanding. Tired of being sick. Just tired. Today I have to go for an MRI. I found out I am going deaf in one ear. I leave soon. Sorry to be such a bummer guys. Thanks for listening.

Comment

PS. I also noticed from another forum that Paul had mentioned that the talk of suicide could be sensitive for some people. I truly apologize if anyone came in this forum and was caught off guard by the info but I was hoping by the title that it was clear. I wasn't sure if it was something I could talk about or not but if there are boundries on these forums then I am open to anyone letting me know.

Comment

Hello Tracey. There is general talk of suicide in your family or life, which is what you did, and that is fine(at least in my opinion). Then there are articles about hopelessness and dispair and suicide in certain situations not connected to the poster, which is what I posted.Sometimes these topics can be very disturbing to those who have suffered a lose or are suicidal. Some people just cannot handle that type of article because of the content.

Because that article was very dark and not individual to me, I posted a warning. I have talked about people close to me committing suicide and I see no reason why you cannot talk about someone close to you's attempted suicide. No need to apologize or post a warning in those circumstances, we are all here to help each other.

A number of yrs ago I tried to commit suicide. I occasionally post about it, I print no special warnings, neither should you with your Grandmother. In fact I found that you handled the post very tactfully considering how stressed you must have been. Take Care. paul m
                      "Alone we can do so little;
                      Together we can do so much"
                      Helen Keller

Comment

I don't think you're being a bummer, gtchamp. You're just going through some very tough stuff. If talking about your problems here can help at all, then go right ahead. Happy to listen, for what it's worth.
                        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

thinking of you gtchamp... hope you're keeping strong!
                          Anne.

Comment

Thanks guys. We got some semi good news...I guess last night. Turns out she has been assessed and they think she may have the beginnings of dimentia. She said she has been hearing chains rattling in her head for some time now. I don't know much about dimentia but it does mean she has to go to a different home now where they can watch her more closely. At least, physically, she is well. She is ok after her attempt and all is well. Money supposedly is not an issue so the children are talking at Christmas as to what home to put her in. I believe in a higher power so for now it is out of my hands. I can only hope for the best. Once again...thank you for helping me through this difficult time. Truly, all of you did. I almost cried at times while typing to you guys about this as well when I read the responses. So, thanks.
                            Take care. Talk to you soon.
                            Tracey

Comment

Talk about suicide

Originally posted by gtchamp View Post
                              PS. I also noticed from another forum that Paul had mentioned that the talk of suicide could be sensitive for some people. I truly apologize if anyone came in this forum and was caught off guard by the info but I was hoping by the title that it was clear. I wasn't sure if it was something I could talk about or not but if there are boundries on these forums then I am open to anyone letting me know.
                              The subject of suicide can be very sensitive subject to some.

As fare as policy the forum recommends that if you are in a crisis situation (at risk of suicide) that you contact your local hospital or dial 911.

As fare as discussing how suicide has affect you, there is no rules for say. I think that in the best interest of all users and in consideration that some members might not in a good frame of mind to deal with suicide, that proper warning be given.

In this case I think you did the right thing "
                              Family Member Tried to Commit Suicide" and anyone who looks at the thread will have fair warning.
                              Woody

Comment

Working...
                              X