Male-type (covert) depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Male-type (covert) depression

Hi everyone. I have just come to the realisation that my partner is probably suffering from depression and that for much of our three-year relationship, it has been what I have discovered to be called "male-type" or "covert" depression. I have seen some articles that acknowledge that men often present differently by externalizing their pain.

Right now, for example, my partner is not speaking to me. When I asked him yesterday if there was a particular reason he was withdrawn or whether it was a general feeling, he said he was "tired" and "upset by everyday things". When I asked him what types of things, he launched into an attack listing a disagreement we had on Sunday night (when I objected to him making an unkind remark about my brother who he doesn't even know), the fact that I insist on keeping the cat litter (in a special cupboard) in the kitchen so he can smell it, and the fact that I again downloaded several large files at the same time even though he had told me not to. So I have hostile withdrawal and blame to deal with.

Everything I have read says I should try to be encouraging, but it is hard to be encouraging when he won't talk to me, and when he attacks me if I try to talk to him. He has an appointment with his doctor in a week, and I am worried that he won't raise the subject properly with the doctor, who is young and has seen him once every three-six months over the last three years without being able to figure out he has depression.

Welcome to the forum Mamalion.

It's hard to have a partner who suffers from depression. The fact that he's not talking to you probably makes it that much worse.

He probably doesnt feel good about the way he is behaving either. When I'm in a depressive state, I see the world and those around me in a whole different way. Usually I withdraw. Some externalize it.

In the past I was not always upfront with my doctor about how I was really doing. I've learnt that this was not helpful for me, and it made it difficult for my doctor to best help me.

If he hasn't already it might be worthwhile for him to have a thorough exam to rule out other things that might be going on. Of course he would have to be open to that.

It is not easy to have someone you care about shutting you out, or lashing out for that matter. Hopefully he will be honest with his doctor.

AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you for responding AJ, for the welcome, and for sympathizing. I realize I wasn't very clear what was bothering me; I guess I'm a bit confused. I don't know whether I should continue to try and talk to him or leave him alone. And what does leave him alone mean? Should I invite him to join me for dinner? He usually comes when I do, but I admit that I an reluctant to sometimes because it's hard to be ignored. Even if I keep repeating to myself that it's because he's not well, he acts like he's sulking. As for the doctor, thanks for the suggestion. To pass that on to him, I'd have to be able to talk to him. In fact, I think that may be the real reason he's avoiding me now. How much should I insist?

Comment

Unfortunately all you can do is let him know you're available to talk to. You might try asking him to join you for dinner and indicate there is no obligation to talk that comes with the invitation, unless he chooses. It would be a place to start anyway.

I find it it very hard to be at odds with my partner for whatever the reason is. Some people need some time and space. I have a hard time with that since I'm not like that. I am getting better about giving the time and space needed, but I have to admit that after a few hours I just want to sit down and talk about things.

In my experience insisting on my timetable just makes things worse. Having said that, at some point you guys will need to talk.

I had a very wise therapist tell me that I am just as important as every one else. (I am good at being a caregiver). Don't lose sight of your own needs. You can't control what he chooses to do or not do, but you can make choices that are about taking care of you.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Mamalion and welcome. I can sympathize with you on both your not knowing what to do and wanting a better relationship. I can also sympathize with your partner if they are unsure themselves what is wrong. Depression tends to make us think unclearly about a lot of things and can cause a lot of pent up anger.

Often we don't see ourselves as others do and that can create large problems for the doctor when he is trying to decide how to treat someone. My view of what was wrong with me and how I behaved was skewed and the doctor asked if he could speak to my wife at some of the appts and my wife jumped at the chance. The doctor would interview us separately,then together.

It was pretty amazing how differently I viewed things from what she did. I even accused my wife of lying ,she wasn't , but in my mind my behaviour at the time didn't link up to what she said.

I can't say how your partner would react to the suggestion of you going along. I had no choice as my wife had suffered long enough and said either I go to the doctor with you or you move out. That was over 20 yrs ago now and I'm still with the same wife so in my case it all worked out. However I wouldn't presume to try and say that it would work for anyone else. Insisting on going to the doctor with your partner may cause him to refuse and you may be worse ff.

However as AJ has said you have to look after your own happiness and health. In regards to timetables. When my wife and I cannot agree on something, we both agree to think about it for a bit and then set a time and date to discuss the matter when neither of us is worked up. Both of us are quite capable of being petty when pushed into a corner by the other one, especially if one of us is in a bad mood. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Thank you, Paul. The practical tip about setting a time and date is very helpful, as are everyone's points of view. I'm pretty much at the point your wife was, I think.

Comment

I just want to say welcome to the forum Mamalion. I've read this whole thread and see so much wisdom shared.
              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
              X