Anxiety Physical Symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anxiety Physical Symptoms

I joined the forum to ask some questions about my son's condition. My son is a young adult, early 20s. He has been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder about 3 years ago. Lately he has been suffering more severely due to stress and possibly other factors. He was having several panic attack weekly for a couple of months and he has had certain physical symptoms like chest pain, racing heart rate, feeling detached, tunnel vision, lump in the throat....His condition improved with medication and he was having less symptoms and the panic attacks had stopped. A couple of weeks after that, he suddenly woke up with right arm numbness (decreased sensation, itchiness, weakness, decreased coordination). This has been going on continuously on for 10 days at least and seems to get worse at night. Has anyone out there with anxiety experienced anything like that??

Hello Janine Ali and welcome. I just wanted to welcome you to the forums. I've never experienced anxiety that bad. I have had a racing heart and some of the rest, but not as severely. I have heard of the arm numbness, but I have not experienced it. Anyone that I have known that had the arm numbness were always told to seek medical help right away.

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer, but perhaps someone on here might have a better answer. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome to the forums Janine Ali. I agree with Paul, it's always best to have any kind of numbness checked out.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you Paul and AJ. Yes, my son was in the ER last week and now awaiting an MRI. My son has high risk for autoimmune (already has two conditions, has been taking Accutane). In addition, his dad has MS, so we are not taking this lightly. I just wanted to see some responses before giving too many details. I find it hard, however, to rule out that the recent increased anxiety is not related to this new symptom?

Comment

Hello Janine Ali, and welcome to the forum. I have a similar question to yours, but regarding a friend of mine who has an autoimmune disorder and the other day woke up with numbness in her legs. It wouldn't surprise me if it's anxiety but to be on the safe side she's getting tests done through her doctor. I think it would make sense that anxiety could spike if you experience a new symptom regardless of the cause. So it seems to be wait and see. I don't know if that's much help, but I can't think of anything else.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

My daughter has anxiety and depression. This last year it was so bad that her life was actually in danger. She was suicidal. I took a leave of absence from work so I could do whatever possible to save her life.
            There were so many trips to the ER, the GP, the psychologist. None of it was enough. I had to remove her from school. She entered an outreach program to complete her studies, and will be graduating this June. But, the journey to that point has been long. From physical symptoms, to what felt like mania, to really great days that felt like this was all just a dream. Everyones experiences are different. She is on the mend, for now, and I am so very proud of how far she has come. Parents of struggling kids are in desperate need of support. Feel free to message me of you need an ear that understands just what you are handling❤

Comment

The physical symptoms are often directly associated with the emotional and mental state. My daughter experienced these things as well. She comes by anxiety honestly, I have suffered as well, and I can say from experience that many of my physical symtoms were a reaction to my anxiety. I always went to my doctor to make sure, but most times it was "all in my head".

Comment

I was going to create a topic when I came across this one.. So I thought I would piggy back on this thread.. if that is ok.... My DW has Health/General Anxiety, OCD, Depression, PTSD, BPD, and has been told that she has and doesn't have BP2 ( or is on the cusp).. She has been dealing with A LOT of physical symptoms which she is certain is terminal. Most recently ( last 8 months ) she has started getting pains after she eats. has tried to narrow it down to certain foods but sometimes she can have something like pop or milk and be ok and other times she can't.. She has had blood work ( although not a full rec) ECG, shes had a scope , seen a urologist, even had an MRI recently .... All which have come back fine...

She wants to get more tests on her heart as she says she feels deep down something is wrong. Most recently she has been experiencing dizziness ( she has Vertigo due to the crystals in her ear canal but this sense of being dizzy is totally different from that )... Her platelets have been fluctuating lately ( they have been high in the past but gone back down ) her doctor doesn't seem worried and says to trust him. but she is so scared and worried.. ... Now I know that mental health and anxiety can cause physical symptoms but what does one do when they feel like they are dying but all the tests so far are coming back clean.

My DW knows that anxiety can cause symptoms but right now her symptoms are causing the anxiety. Which is currently so bad that she can't be alone.. so when I am on my weekend she is home with me and when I am working she bounces back and forth to her parents. Our Dog has diabetes and she is JUST starting to be able to give him his shot. so she likes to have him with her.. espeically since she doesn't want him to be alone when I work.. So that has caused some issues as well as it is really hard for her to overcome her fear of giving him his shot ( because when she first tried she pricked herself with the needle.. well you can imagine how that went ) but she is getting better.. Most recently she had him for 4 days and he got his shot all but once...

Its just so hard to hear about all her aches and pains and worries. Any suggestions I can get with anyone that can relate would be much appreciated.

Comment

To anybody in this thread with concern and worry about theirselves or their family members:

There is CAUSE AND EFFECT with these types of conditions and you are not going to get answers or relief from any medical doctor, be it a GP or all the way to a Psychiatrist.

These diagnoses are only LABELS, I.e. anxiety, depression, bipolar, aches and pains, chest pain, chest tightness, panic attacks, etc are all stemming from the same source.

There are viruses/bacteria, environmental toxins, and possibly most importantly-heavy metals in our lives that are really practically unavoidable unless proper diet and lifestyle is addressed.
                  I see this trend frequently in young adults especially while their bodies are growing, experiencing all these above issues I’ve stated and everyone else in this forum.
                  we all have different thresholds and different abilities to process and “filter” these chronic infections and toxins out of our system.
                  These things chronically aggravate our nervous systems.
                  Not to mention, the standard diets that make our bodies unable to fight and rid these invaders, resulting in endless chronic symptoms. From a minor head or tummy ache to full blown trapped-feeling depression anxiety.

One must learn how to deal with these issues by certain dietary and supplementary choices that both rid these things and stop feeding/compounding the problem

It all comes down to misinformation and bad trends,

its a vicious cycle but the good news is if a person applies themselves, it is more than achievable.

Andrew

Comment

Welcome to the forum Andruc10. While I can agree that we are exposed to many chemicals over our lifetime, there are so many factors at play when it comes to our physical, mental and spiritual well being.

Labels sometimes put us into 'categories' that we don't belong in. There are so many overlapping mental and physical illnesses that a label can't fully encompass. However, labels do help us to have a reference base to begin from. They help determine a treatment plan.

I think one of the challenges in treating any illness, or dealing with any life challenge for that matter, is getting tunnel vision. As soon as we lose sight of the whole picture, we lose the ability to make the best choices of how to respond to any particular situation.

Just my thoughts...
                    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                    for not being what they believe they should be.
                    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Andruc10, hi- I have answers, lots of them. What I don't like is pseudo science. Psychiatry and the lot have massive longitudinal studies to back up their claims, you are spreading unproven junk science with no such backing.

Comment

Hello Andruc10 and welcome. I can't say that I agree with your views, but you are entitled to them. The world be better off if we all agreed to disagree once in a while. Take Care. paul m
                        "Alone we can do so little;
                        Together we can do so much"
                        Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                        X