somatic symptom disorder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

somatic symptom disorder

My DW has been experiencing lots of different types of pain over the last 3 years + and all the tests that have been done have not come back with any major issues.. her psychiatrist says that she can't rule out Somatic Disorder because it is really difficult .. as you have to have a LOT of testing done to know that there is nothing causing ... this day and age we are in ... I would suspect that no one would be eager to go get testing ... she also deals with major health anxiety and ocd so covid is a HUGE worry for her ...

is there anyone that has been diagnosed with this .. or knows anyone that does have it ... that can help clarify what this disorder is ???

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by wantstounderstand; October 3, 2020, 03:28 PM.

I am not familiar with the disorder, but i think she should address the issues she is facing through self assurance. Be supportive and attentive to her needs, and help her with assurance.

Comment

The difficult thing with this disorder is that is VERY DIFFICULT to diagnose ... her doctors and psychiatrist said that one would need to go through ALL possible tests to determine this ...
      rest assured ... I am supportive and attentive to her as much as I possible can >>>>

I appreciate the self assurance ... I know that she tries really hard... it can be hard at times when one feels so exhausted...

Comment

At one point my psychiatrist told me my depression had "somatized" because I had some physical symptoms (mainly really bad nausea; no pain though).At the same time, my mood was absolutely fine without medication. He didn't send me for any tests, he just figured he knew. He was a very intelligent and experienced doctor. I still don't know what to think. it took many months with the bodily symptoms, then eventually my depression returned and when I got treated for that the nausea subsided. I still am not completely convinced about this "somatization" thing but haven't pursued it further. I don't know if I'm of much help except to say that it sounds like the same diagnosis.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thank you uni I do appreciate the input... in this situation it may be more than that but the physical symptoms are still there but in a different form so there is more investigation to go through. it can be so very tiring to be the person that feels this way... I can't imagine

Comment

Working...
          X