Social Media / Twitch addiction as a distraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Media / Twitch addiction as a distraction

Hi, wondering if anyone has had a spouse turn to social media / Twitch to socialize and has had it become an issue and cause for concern? My husband has seemed to become addicted/obsessed with a specific Twitch streamer and is preoccupied with this person and their life, to the point its become unhealthy. Its tearing me apart and it affecting me greatly. I want to support him because he cannot bring himself to socialize, rarely leaves bed, but i know there is something deeply troubling with this parasocial relationship he has created. Anyone with depression or anyone helping a family member/spouse encounter this?

Hello Strawberry Fields,

That’s quite stressful, especially since it is impacting many aspects of his life and yours so negatively. Have you talked to him about this? Does he recognize that it has become too much? Turning to social media especially to this extreme extent may be a coping mechanism that people use to escape reality/dealing with unwanted emotions. I wonder if he realizes that it has become too much? Have you suggested other things to distract him? So maybe doing things you enjoy together? I don’t have much context/enough details as of now about the situation, but finding an alternative distraction may be a start. Also, doing it gradually maybe more realistic in this case.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Hopeful_2022 i have. Ive confronted him, ive shown him articles explaining it, ive given him examples of what he does and how this is not a healthy normal behaviour….. hes in denial. He thinks this person is his soul mate, a friend, someone he needs to protect. Its actually getting quite scary and in the meantime i am
      trying to handle my emotions of jealousy, rejection etc… He needs help and im so desperate …. I am truly broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Strawberry Fields View Post
        Hopeful_2022 i have. Ive confronted him, ive shown him articles explaining it, ive given him examples of what he does and how this is not a healthy normal behaviour….. hes in denial. He thinks this person is his soul mate, a friend, someone he needs to protect. Its actually getting quite scary and in the meantime i am
        trying to handle my emotions of jealousy, rejection etc… He needs help and im so desperate …. I am truly broken.
        Hello Strawberry Fields,

I hear you. It is quite painful when you see your loved one changing, especially if they are not on the same page as you in terms of how it impacting your relationship with them. Do you think couples counselling may be an option? The counselling may help him recognize how his behaviour is affecting you and your relationship all together.

Comment

Working...
        X