Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some reading suggestions...

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a book to read, of any type, dealing with depression. I was thinking a biography, but a novel would be great too. Something with at least a pinch of hope would be ideal. Humour would be helpful. But really, any suggestion would be appreciated!

Earlier today I though I'd give Amazon a try (afterall, they have books)... but, after an hour or so of reading reviews and comparing prices I gave up, feeling completely confussed about what it was I had wanted to read in the first place. Too many options. Indecision sitting (where it always does) like a big bulky wool scarf around my neck.

So...Would love some reading suggestions!! If you found a book inspirational, I likely will too!

Looking forward to your suggestions!
    Thanks!

Hello Kaight. BP Hope magazine can be viewed on the web. Most of the back issues can be ead for free. This month Patty Duke is featured and in past issues Carrie Fisher has been in several times. http://www.bphope.com/

I liked Scott Simmie's book, Beyond Crazy as it was divided into small chapters, each chapter containing a story. Carrie Fisher's book called wishful drinking was good as was Patty Duke's book Brilliant Madness, Living with Manic Depressive Illness. Elizabeth Manely, former Cdn Olympic silver medalist in figure skating, has a biography that deals in part with her depression and other problems, but I have never read it.

They all are interesting reads. If I was to pick one book, I would pick Scott Simmie's Beyond Crazy as it deals with a number of different mental illnesses and from all views. He interviews, people who who have suffered, their friend's and loved ones. Many of the people Scott interviews are well known Canadians. All should be available at your local library, all the books are available at amazon. I hope this helps. Take Care. paul m

Hello All. Patty Duke was at one time the youngest ever winner of an Oscar. Her life has many twists and turn due to her illness. If you want a good laugh(assuming you can laugh at your self) please read her exert on medication in BP Hope magazine. (about half way down the page) Take Care. paul m http://www.bphope.com/Item.aspx/845/...nly-patty-duke
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Nice to see you around the forum again, Kaight. Sorry I haven't read any inspirational books about mental
      illness at all. In fact, when I was depressed, I usually tried to make things worse by reading really
      depressing novels and memoirs. The rest of the time, I was too depressed to concentrate or focus on
      reading. Now I am in school again and am mostly reading dense theory --which is rather depressing
      simply because I can't understand it and I am getting discouraged!

Let us know when you've found a good book.
      astronaut

Comment

Great suggestions!

Paul - thanks for all the suggestions! I look forward to investigating them further. Also... I really appreciate the CanCon!! (Go Canada!)

Astronaut - Good luck with those thick volumes of theory! And yhea to you for going back to school!!

Keep safe,
        Kaight

Comment

Beyond Crazy is ordered and on its way! Also ordered The Beast by Tracy Thompson. Here's hoping my motivation to read lasts the 10 to 15 business days it will take for the books to arrive!

Would love to hear of any other reading suggestions... the weatherman says that reading weather is on its way (happy fall)... I've got my warm blanlet and my pot of tea ready!

Thnaks,
          Kaight

Comment

Reading weather has it's upsides!
            Rebecca

Comment

One of the first books I read was a biography. Kay Redfield Jamison. The book is called "An Unquiet Mind." She is a real success story. She is talking about bipolar, but to be bipolar is to be intimately aquainted with depression. She has written another book, Touched with Fire. I haven't read it. An Unquiet mind resonated with me so much, I made notes on it. She has also been featured in BP Hope magazine. If I remember anything else, (big if but, hope springs eternal) I will add it in another post.

Comment

I've never read An Unquiet Mind however, I have heard that it is a good read.

Comment

I own that one, I quite liked it.
                  Rebecca

Comment

I'll have to check it out!

Comment

Working...
                    X