Depression - the comedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depression - the comedy

I'm currently reading a book entitled "Depression - the Comedy" by Jessica Holmes. She's a Canadian comedian who used to be on the Royal Canadian Air Farce show. I wasn't all that taken with her on the show, but in reading the book I find her quite funny, and yet quite serious, about living through depression. It's pretty recent; I just got it from the library in paperback.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Hello Uni. Thx for posting that. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Hello I writing this as a concerned parent. Approx. a month ago we had to call the opp to come take our very angry, depressed and full of anxiety son of 18 years old. He ran out of the house with a gun is what prompted us to act. There was quite a struggle with 3 opp officers which I the father had help to contain him. They took him to the hospital where he spent 3 days periodically medicated due to mood waiting for a bed at mental illness facility. After 3 days he was released because he did not meet criteria. When he came home we set some rules ( no verbal abuse, no marijuana, no physical abuse, no alcohol and to be respectful to everyone. One night he wanted go and get something from his truck and knew he was up to something, I the father followed him which he did get one item then we went back to house when he mentioned he had to get one more thing, so I followed again. Half way to the truck he turned to me and called me an asshole. I told him that was one of the rules that had broken, so I told him that his truck that he had put away for winter would be out in the driveway when he finished work. He told me if I touched his truck he would bust my ass. We headed back in the house where he punched me in head which opened up my forehead for 14 stitches. The opp where called and he was taken to another family members home. I did not press charges as I could bere to ruin his future life.He has never apologized to me personally. He is still threatening suicide, hurting anyone that provokes him and just out of control.He is still living at home waiting for counselling which we hope we'll help shed some light on his issues. We are sick to our stomachs wondering what to do and going to come of it.If any one has any advise it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Steve

Comment

Hello Steve and welcome. Unfortunately the system doesn't work very well when the person in it does not cooperate. This does not mean that they are beyond help. Most times there are periods when the person may be open to help. Unfortunately booze and pot can mask those periods. If he is still threatening suicide you may be able to get him committed again. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Hello concerned parent, and welcome. I can't imagine what it must be like for you, going through such a situation with your son. My heart goes out to you.

I'm wondering whether you have a counsellor or someone similar who can give you some insight about your son's disorders. Getting educated about the facts is a great starting point, if you haven't done so already. And if at all possible, a support group for friends and families of those with mental illnesses can be a huge help if you can find one.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Welcome to the forum Concerned Parent. I can't even imagine how difficult this must be for you. I hope you get the support you need, no one should go thru this by themselves.
            AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
            for not being what they believe they should be.
            -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
            X