No announcement yet.

Quote of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on. Havelock Ellis

Comment

Those are wonderful! My favourite one is Charlie Brown's! Peanuts philosophy connects with my mental age or something
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

There is some good in this world and it's worth fighting for.
        J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Hope is being able to see the light despite all of the darkness.
          Desmond Tutu

Comment

"Give sorrow words. The grief that does not speak whispers o'r the fraught heart and bids it break." Shakespeare

"The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, and a hell of heaven." Shakespeare

"The older I grow, the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings wisdom." H. L. Mnecken

"In the dark night of the soul, bright flows the river of God." (John of the Cross)

"To thine own self be true. Then it follows as the night the day That thou canst be false to no man." Shakespeare

These are some of the quotes that mom, rest her soul, collected over the years and actually wrote down.

Comment

Thanks for sharing these quotes your mom treasured, Lady in Blue.
              When going through my moms belongings I found 2 journals of sorts. One had listed the death dates of relatives and all of her friends which I just now remembered I need to share with one of my brothers who has been doing all of our family genealogy. The other was recording of special events and times for her like the purchase of a new stove etc., and her travels back home to the island. Such a treasure for me to find.

“Hope
              Smiles from the threshold of the year to come, Whispering, ‘it will be happier’. ”
              Alfred Tennyson
              Last edited by Rosey; November 7, 2019, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Oh, Rosey, isn't it so bittersweet to come across these writings from our moms. There's something about seeing mom's handwriting that brings me up short, like she's present, a physical manifestation of her spirit. Mom had a collection of mini diaries as well; just as your mom did, writing about events. It was very hard to read because she was so depressed, and physically ill. When I'm ready, I'm going to type it all out and maybe write a story about her. What a precious discovery for you!

Comment

"Feeling lost, crazy and desperate belongs to a good life as much as optimism, certainty and reason."
                  Alain de Botton

Comment

Good quotes. Thx for posting them. Take Care. paul m
                    "Alone we can do so little;
                    Together we can do so much"
                    Helen Keller

Comment

Its all about persistence, we must be more focused and driven than the negative circumstances.

Comment

"Love me when I least deserve it, because that's when I need it most." ‐-- Swedish proverb

Edit: I tried to put spaces between the words and the emoticon but it would not process it
                        Last edited by the xpax; December 2, 2020, 12:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that quote the xpax. I think it's true.
                          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

My grandmother often told me this quote as a child. When she talked to me, she always used quotes from great people. She tried to instill in me a love of reading, and she succeeded. The most favorite quotes she used were by the William Shakespeare. One of her favorite quotes was "Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice." I never understood what it meant. Only recently when I found Shakespeare quotes, I understand this and many other quotes. I realized that they all teach us life. Recently, I also began to use quotes often in my speech.
                            Last edited by Lisari; January 24, 2021, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I like all of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X