Grieving Mental Illness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grieving Mental Illness

Hello All. I have been reading a book called Grieving Mental Illness by Virginia Lafond,ISBN 0-8020-7578-9 University of Toronto Press 1994. It raises some interesting points about the need to grieve in order to get well again, whether it be a major illness or the death of somebody close.

She claims there are 4 stages to grieving and if we must master each stage or we will have more difficulty getting better. Her 4 stages are.

1)Denial: We often deny our illness or at least how serious it really is.

2)Sadness: we often deny that we are sadden by our illness, often saying things like "I'm happy it wasn't worse" .We should accept that it's a terrible illness and it's ok to feel sad that we got it.

3)Anger and fears: Often we don't deal with the angry feelings we have with these illnesses. Anger over delay of treatment, misdiagnosis, anger over what if's (what if I had been treated earlier etc.) Later we fear the unknown future that lies ahead of us.This fear can paralysis us.

4)Acceptance: Accepting our Illness and learnng how best to deal with it in a logical manner.

The author points out that that the steps pretty much happen in the above order and the longer we refuse to accept each step the longer it will take to get better. She gives some hints about getting better.

I cannot say it's a great book, but I can tell you she is correct in some areas. I wasted a lot of time in denial and I also wasted a lot of time paralyized by fear of the future. Getting better is not easy. But getting to the point of acceptance of the illness and the limitations it may put on us sure helps. Once there we are still in for a battle, but at least we can head in the right direction. (cowering under the covers only worked for so long for me ) Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Wise words Paul, thanks.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Kind of makes sense ... thanks Paul
      Woody

Comment

Thanks also for the wise words Paul. After I was diagnosed my doctor gave me a book about grieving my illness. I never read it because I was so paralyzed by my diagnosis. I had forgotten about the book. I think I will see if I still have it and perhaps give it a read.

Comment

Thank-you for posting this list Paul.
          I am waiting to get an appt with a tdoc to discuss some of these issues and i will visit this thread while I am waiting for my appt.
          Take Care,
          Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
          "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Thanks Paul for starting this thread!

For my own illness, I seem to go between the anger and the acceptance, depending on the day. I understand that I have limitations most of the time, but there are days that I get so frustrated because I have high expectations of myself. My housekeeping is a perfect example. I decided to work fulltime so I know my housekeeping will go by the wayside, yet I constantly get upset because I'm not like "normal" people who can work and keep a somewhat clean house.

For my daughter's illness I'm still struggling between the denial, sadness and anger, yet she has been diagnosed with schizophrenia for over ten years. There are times I don't think she really has a mental illness, then I'll be crying over my "lost" daughter and then there are days that I'm so mad at a "god" for punishing "me" and giving my child this illness. I've even done the "barginning with God" thing. My therapist mentioned this, about grieving my daughter's illness, a couple of weeks ago.

I guess, I have a lot of work to do in these areas.

Thanks for reading
            Ambe

Comment

Hello Ambe. Housekeeping (and lawn maintaince) have always been a problem for me as well. I think in part it is simply because if I'm depressed I don't care, if I'm manic I'm too busy and don't notice. After 30yrs+ of this it becomes ingrained and house work slides as a matter of habit. Bad habits are hard to break.

One of the most difficult things I had to accept about my illness were the differences between the real me and the ill me. Habits and mannerisms that are aquired over a life time (no matter what the cause) are sometimes very hard to change.

My son has bipolar and I also have bipolar and should understand him. We get along well, but I sometimes find his actions are very trying for me. But then I'm sure that sometimes he finds me very trying as well. Take Care. paul m
              "Alone we can do so little;
              Together we can do so much"
              Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
              X