Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A book for younger kids

Hi everyone,

I was wandering around the web, looking at various books and found one that I thought may be of interest to those of you with young children. It's called "The Bipolar Bear Family: When a Parent has Bipolar Disorder" by Angela Ann Holloway. Unfortunately I couldn't find any reviews or any indication of the appropriate kids' age. I haven't seen it in real life so I have no idea if it is any good. The blurb says that its the story of a young cub struggling to understand mom's behaviour and ultimate diagnosis of BP. Thought it might be helpful to someone.

Jan
    Jan

fall seven times, stand up eight -Japanese Proverb

Hello Jan. Thx for starting this thread and mentioning that book. I have not seen that book, but I do know that children often totally misunderstand their parents illness. A child may even blames themselves for their parents illness or behaviour.

They also worry that perhaps this is something they may catch. These misunderstandings come from a variety of sources, but often children only understand parts of conversations they over hear (example, "she shouldn't have had kids so young") and then blame themselves. Children in the neighbourhood often talk amongst themselves and come to erronous conclusions. A child may be bullied by another child saying that the parent is a drunk or a nutcase.

Without knowledge, the childs imagination often conjures up great fears. CAMH has a couple of goodpublications even the reviews help clarify some things. Take Care. paul m

Canada's largest mental health teaching hospital and one of the world's leading research centres. Where Mental Health is Health.
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks Islander for the book info. For anyone that is interested you can get more information on the Barns and Noble site.
      Woody

Comment

Working...
      X