No announcement yet.

I wrote this poem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love. Or any other emotion for that matter. Now there’s a big juicy topic! Your statement “am I capable of feeling love and is that a factor in me getting better?” got me thinking of what role emotion plays in my day to day. I know I’m not good at identifying specific emotions in myself or in others. Maybe I just don’t have the vocabulary. This makes it very hard to react effectively to how I’m feeling at any given moment. I usually feel one of two ways: good or not good.
    I’m sure that others see me as apathetic… but I just don’t know how to react to emotion. Thankfully since I discovered this trait in myself I’ve spent a lot of time observing others, trying to understand how to be supportive. This has given me some “go-to” phrases at least… but me using these sentiments always leaves me feeling like a bit of a fraud.
    I wonder how I got this way… so detached from my emotional self. Here is a theory: at some point in my life, likely long ago, I started noticing things about myself that I didn’t like and that I knew others wouldn’t like as well. Instead of working on these issues, my perfectionistic self hid them away. I was always a shy person, unlikely to spill my heart out to anyone, so instead I hid away those things I didn’t like. I couldn’t fix them. I didn’t know how and I certainly wasn’t going to ask for help. They got buried deep, and then so many other things were dumped on top… its all buried so deep now I don’t even know were to start digging.
    Anyway, all that hiding has left me alone, unable to understand how to make or maintain a friendship. Quite frankly, most of the time I’m petrified of friendships. I have too many secrets. Furthermore, friendships are so confusing… and I can’t imagine any additional turmoil in my life. I create enough for myself.
    In spite of this, I think there are people who do love me. I can’t pretend to understand why. I don’t think love always has a why… its not the least bit logical. I think that I must also feel some distortion of love towards certain people. Why else would I feel such incredible guilt for the pain that I cause the ones around me?
    I thank this “love” for bringing me back from the precipice so many times. At some point I am always thankful for a second chance.

Comment

Kaight,
      I'm not good at friendships either. I think for me though it is because I get shy about closeness and I don't like to put the effort into being friends. It is hard work, I guess. Maybe it is just because I am so insecure too. I think that I'll be a burden on someone or that I'm not intelligent enough to entertain or amuse them.

Love is something that I just don't feel very strongly. I feel empty inside where my heart is supposed to be. I also have those "go to" phrases, but now I've switched it up a little for honesty. Sometimes honesty works best and it helps me relate to people better. Sometimes it gets me into trouble too though...

I am fairly in touch with my own emotions. They aren't buried away. I don't feel very many overly positive ones but I do feel things like stress, tension, anger (a big one), anxiety, annoyance, and frustration. I'm sure that a lot of people on this forum can relate to these.

I also don't understand why people love me. It is a strange phenomena.

great post though,
      astronaut

Comment

Astronaut,

Thank you for your reflections. I will try the honesty tactic some time... I'm sure it will make for a good learning experience!

Also thank you for the list of emotions. When I'm feeling a certain way, I try to figure out what it is I am feeling, so that I can react appropriately... this list gives me some good caterories to to fit my feelings into.

Thanks,
        Kaight

Comment

Working...
        X