Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maladaptive Perfectionism (OCD - sub-type?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Topics Maladaptive Perfectionism (OCD - sub-type?)

Heya, I just heard a new word in the past couple of days. It describes me very well though. Maladaptive Perfectionist. Has anyone else heard this term before? Does anyone else have this condition? I guess it is a type of OCD. I always thought that my mental illnesses and behaviours were all inherited from my mom's side of the family (generations of depression, GAD, possible bipolar and OCD for as many generations as current memory allows), however, now that I see this term maladaptive perfectionist, I can see a lot of this coming from my dad's side and also my father's own symptoms of this illness - it's like a good thing that gets turned on it's head and becomes ugly.

Maladaptive Perfectionism (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...and-distress):

"In other words, if we have internalized unrealistic standards, are plagued with self-doubt and prone to self-criticism, we’re more likely to avoid our work to avoid what we believe is inevitable failure. And, while this short-term avoidance may provide some immediate mood repair, in the longer term, we pay the price with the distress that task avoidance and last-minute efforts bring."
Working...
X