Drug Recalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Topics Drug Recalls

Here's a link to Health Canada's classifications of drug recalls. The 'depth of recall' is of particular interest at the patient level.

Cover page of a 1993 Health Canada guidance document providing information about recall procedures for food, drugs, cosmetics, medical devices and radiation emitting devices

One levels requires that wholesaler ship stock back to manufacturer. The next level requires that the wholesaler and pharmacies ship the affected lots back to the manufacturer. The other level requires that pharmacies contact patients and have their stock brought back to the pharmacy for replacement/refund. All these drugs products brought back and still in stock at pharmacy must be shipped back.

There have been cases where a recall has been issued at the patient level and there is no replacement stock, such as the recent nitro spray recall. It is used for (angina-heart) and the pump spray was defective.

I have to say that the current situation with Apotex, even though it was not recalled down to the patient level, doesn't leave me with a lot of faith in their products made in Bangladesh. I have 3 of their products in my bag of goodies!
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

I have the nitro spray. Never had to use it but brought it to the pharmacy. Apparently instead of having 200 doses in the bottle it only has 75 which could cause problems for anyone who uses it a lot. It didn't really affect me so the pharmacist told me to keep what I have because there isn't a replacement yet

Comment

They are supposed to replace your canister with 2 new ones. Unfortunately there is now a shortage.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
      X