Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Topics Finally!!!

Hi everybody! It's great to be back!

Scammers and hackers put my computer out of commission a few months ago. I had it supposedly fixed but the trouble returned, so I set it aside while dealing with some "life stuff" requiring my attention. I finally got a trustworthy person to fix it up and I feel safe using it again. I'm excited to do some catching up with the oldies and getting to know the newbies!
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Uni, welcome back! I've missed you! How have you been?
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Finally indeed!

Welcome back, hope your computer woes are behind you. You have been missed.

Comment

Hello Uni. I've met a lot of people in my life and I've heard some people admit to doing awful deeds, but I've never heard anyone claim that they were a computer hacker/virus maker. I guess that their survival instincts kick in , because I'm sure that a lot of people who would like to meet someone who wrecked their computer and cost them a bunch of money, not to mention the aggravation.

If I was ever to meet one of those scammers/hackers/virus makers I probably could arrange a ride for them to their next destination. It might be a little uncomfortable riding on that rail while covered in tar and feathers, but I would hope that it might give them time to think of other hobbies, ones that don't involve me LOL.

Anyways I'm really really really glad that you are back Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks guys, I've missed you too!

Paul, if there is an up side to something like this, it's that I have an ex-coworker who fixed it up properly and refused to take any money for it. Apparently I owe him a Tim Horton's coffee. Wow, am I lucky

Aside from all that, I'll post an update on my sporadically exciting/trying life when I have more time. Off now to run errands...
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Welcome back Uni! I've been out of regular contact but haven't forgotten this place or the great people that keep it going.

Comment

welcome back uni!

Comment

Thanks Lizzy and Determined. Wow, is it ever quiet on here. What's happening, all? I myself am feeling pretty low more often than not lately.
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni. I'm currently trying to buck an early winter blues. It has been a warm December, (well not warm, but warmer than usual) but it has been raining for what seems like forever now. I hate prolonged cool rainy weather as it leaves me feeling like a permanent shut in and I get a quick case of the lazies and the blues.

Of course having said that I'm not doing what I should be to stay well. That of course bugs me as I know better. I need to exercise more, quit staying up so late, sleeping in so much and get my blood sugar readings down to the point where they read mostly blood instead of mostly sugar LOL.

On the other hand, tomorrow is another day and know that I have said publicly, what I tended to ignore privately I will try and do a little better.

If you don't mind me asking, how come you are feeling low? Of course you do not need a reason to feel low. Take Care. paul m P.S. to all, is it just Uni and I, or are others feeling a bit lower than normal right now or for that matter how is everybody doing? Good, bad or rotten.
                  Helen Keller

Comment

I'll add another voice to the low mood of the season. Christmas blah's have been an annual event the last few years, not uncommon I suppose but I'm trying hard not to spoil it for everyone else.

Sorry for the hijack Uni, but I wanted to comment on Paul's struggle with the blood sugars. I too am diabetic and I find low mood is often good for an extra 5 points of blood sugars. Drives my doctor nuts, but I really don't think I am doing anything different. Also just got over a flu bug making the rounds out here and it also sent my blood sugars through the roof. Trying to figure out and manage all the correlation between this is mind boggling.

Comment

Paul I'm going to chime in with you and Uni. It's been a slow decline but nonetheless I find myself in a more sullen, withdrawn kind of place.

Even though our winter so far has been very mild, and I measure this by how often I have to shovel the white stuff, I still find the whole get dressed up to go out routine to add to this state of affairs.

There is illness in the family which is very worrisome. The primary caregiver is sick and arrangements need to be made for her spouse as well. Distance is a hindrance and there is much communication among family members right now, always a challenge.

I'm still adjusting to having a new psychiatrist. I miss the collaboration I had in my treatment with my last Pdoc. Besides, she was really nice and easy to talk to!

My RA has flared up. It makes walking my dog more of a challenge. Walks are also part of what has saved me from sinking on many occasions. It is so much more difficult to get out there because of pain. I do so anyway because of my dog.

The ho ho ho of Christmas can be a difficult time of year for me, for many of us. I do my shopping in November to avoid the crowds, and make sure I stick to my budget. Being around a lot of family at Christmas is hard. They've made many a movie about it that I can relate to. I often excuse myself in a family gathering for a not so much needed bathroom break, or a breath or two of fresh air outside.

I'll be out of my own environment, visiting family, on my spouses side, over the holiday. It's hard not to feel trapped when you're 'stuck' there so to speak. We're going to keep it to a couple of days and then head home. My side of the family involves a day trip so that's easier to manage.

Enough of my ramblings. How's everyone else doing?
                      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                      for not being what they believe they should be.
                      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello to anyone here.

This is my first post, I went searching online for some additional support for my mental illness and came across this forum. I have struggled for many years with depression, bipolar 2, and general anxiety disorder. I have been up and down over many years but these last few months it has become problematic again and I feel like I have exhausted all of my resources. I am incredibly fortunate to have several support outlets such as my Psychiatrist who monitors my meds as well as many caring friends. Currently I take Lamotragene for bipolar and concerts for the ADHD as well as Xanax and Ativan as needed, which has been daily for the last couple of months. My family loves me and try to be supportive but they have their own dysfunction so I never burden them with the extent of my illness and therefore I avoid them, especially at times when I am particularly not well. I was taken off work almost 2 years ago and am currently working on my Masters degree at home through distance. It is very fulfilling, as I am studying a mental health profession but i am experiencing what is called vicarious trauma through some of the course work and it has become almost unbearable for me to function lately. My school has been very supportive but I was also diagnosed with ADHD soon after I started having trouble getting through the work load soon after I started the program. They are aware of my diagnosis but I still feel as though I am just making excuses when I am late with a project. I work very hard (and even have the top marks in the school!) but it comes with a price. I live alone and often can not bring myself to reach out to anyone when I am really suffering or just too exhausted. Also, it probably sounds silly but I lost both my beloved pets to unrelated illnesses last week and I have not been able to stop crying. Losing my 2 furry companions just 3 days apart was just cruel and more than I could handle right now. My 13 year old tabby cat and 8 year old Boxer were my therapeutic life lines, especially when I could not leave my house. I am just devastated and too ashamed to let the people who care about me know how it is making me spiral downward. I can feel it happening but I don't know how to stop it. I am really behind with my school work and definitely won't be able to get all my term papers finished by end of semester. I am 2/3 through my program and it is the first time in over a year that I thought about suicide. I know I don't want to die, but it is that frightening space where you can't go on anymore either. I have experienced this before and I know at what point I need to ask for help. I am just in so much pain right now and it just keeps getting worse each day. Christmas time is difficult for me as it is with many and I always try to prepare myself as best I can to deal with stress but everything is coming at me so fast that I just can't seem to cope with it. Does anyone have any advice to help stop uncontrollable crying? I have many techniques that I have used successfully over the years but nothing seems to be working right now. (breath work, counting, tapping, artwork/journal, exercise, etc). I am in a continual state of heightened anxiety and panic attacks with bouts of crying, pretty much all day and night now. I appreciate anyone out there listening and not judging. I am feeling very alone and vulnerable right now and need someone to tell me it will get better again. Thank you and blessings to all of you who are also suffering.

Comment

Hi MoMoe and welcome. I haven't a lot to say at present but I am truly sorry you are suffering as you are. I do admire you for what you are working to accomplish and I know it is especially difficult when coping with a mood disorder. I will only say this from experience and that is do not push yourself too hard. Goals can wait. We have a lifetime to fulfill them. When it is said that without our health we have nothing for me it rings painfully true. Your well being must be put first. Everything else will follow.

I am also very sorry to hear about your pets. Our dog Bailey was about my best friend ever. I cried like a baby when he had to be put to sleep at the ripe old age of 16. We now have a cat who is probably as off the rails as I am. If I try to touch him I will be pulling back a stump. I now know that everything is done on his terms. He's kind of a jerk but I love 'im. So no, it's not silly to be grieving the way you are over you beloved furry friends.

I'm not really in a very good place as of late either so I will just let it go at this. I just want to welcome you and encourage you to come here often. You won't be alone.

MoMoe, you will be all right. I can tell by your words that you are not one who gives up. Look after yourself. Put yourself first, at least for now; until you get your feet back on solid ground. Blessings to you also.

Comment

Hello MoMoe and welcome to the forum. I can't give you any answers to your problems as I am not medically qualified, I can make a few observations that may or may not be right as I don't really know you. Nothing that follows should be considered a judgement, as that is not only not my style, I've made so many mistakes in life it would hypocritical of me to judge anyone.

It sounds as if you've got a lot on your plate and few people to share it with. The loss of favoured pets must be especially devastating. I've been known to shed some tears when I've lost one pet at a time, two within a week must be horrible. The last time I lost my faithful dog, I said that I was too old and busy to get another one, that resolve lasted 4 weeks and I got another pet and I haven't regretted it yet, 10 yrs latter.

You are worried about your school work, family, your mental health ,your future and probably a lot of other things. Often this type of worry can cause severe anxieties, which in turn can cause depression. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19698426 It can work in reverse too, depression can lead us to having anxiety problems.

Most schools, when provided with a doctors note will provide extra time for assignments to be done. (any school that gets federal funding must make allowances for disabilities).

One of the things that I have noticed about my own struggles with bipolar/anxieties are that the illnesses can change as I age and I have to always be aware of when and how new problems may affect me and/or what I can do about them. Actually, many of them are not new problems, they are ones that I thought I had put permanently in my past and they've slipped back in.

One of the things that I definitely cannot do is let too many stressors enter my life at any one time. However, life being what it is, sometimes throws to much for me to handle at one time. When that happens I try to concentrate on one thing at a time as I cannot handle them all at once like I once was able to.

Christmas being a prime example. I have far more Christmas dinners to go too than are good for me(mentally wise). However I try and take each one as they come and not worry about the 4 I still have to go. That's not as serious problem as your problems are I know, but once upon a time I would have just locked myself inside and not went to any and that didn't do me any good either.

When things bunch up on me I also try and see my shrink as soon as possible as sometimes I need to adjust my medicine a bit or he comes up with something that I hadn't noticed that I had changed in my regime.

I'm sorry that I haven't given you any good answers, but please feel free to ask questions, answer other people's questions and/or just use the forum to vent as sometimes venting out ones frustrations is helpful. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m
                            Helen Keller

Comment

Hi MoMoe. I'm sorry to hear all that you are going through, especially about the loss of your pets. I myself joined this forum not too long ago so I'm fairly new, but everyone here is very supportive and in some way can relate to what you're going through. I really do feel your pain, and I want you to know that you are not alone. I know there are times in life when everything seems to happen all at once and that makes it the hardest, but with time things will get better. You are going through alot right now. Please don't push yourself too hard. Take things one day at a time. Your well being is the most important thing. I can't stress to you enough that I understand what you are feeling right now. Take the time you need to grieve and take things at your own pace. I know I can't say anything to take the pain away, but myself and others are here to listen. You will be okay.

Currently I can relate to most others in that I've been feeling pretty down lately. Its been hard to get up in the morning and I have to force myself to get through the day. I find that though the holiday season is supposed to be joyus, it also brings with it a sense of loneliness. Anyways, take care for now everyone.

Bella

Comment

Working...
                              X