Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing New here.

Hi,
    I'm new to the site but not to depression. I was off work for 18 months 5 years ago and then stable (on meds). I am off work again, hoping I can get better before I get as depressed as last time. I struggle with generalized fear and guilt. I'm a nurse. I feel weak, like I should know better than to get sick again. I realize that is not the truth of the disease but I'd rather have something tangable like a broken leg. That's my rant for now.

Welcome to the forums Ann. I'm glad that you know the truth about this disease. The games our minds play with us! I'd rather have a broken leg too.

Rant anytime! Feel free to share as little or as much of yourself as you're comfortable with.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Ann, I agree, sometimes I feel that it would be easier to have a broken limb than have to live with this disease. Fear, guilt and depression can creep up on us at any given time and its not always easy to find the strength to fight back. I hope taking some time off work will help you get better soon.

Bella

Comment

Hello Ann. I am new to this website as well. I am returning back to work myself. My original note expired after New Years and I had to suffer a bad week at work before my doctor would write another one. I am type 2 bipolar, and I do comply with medication requirements partly because I have little option not to. I work in a retail job and live with my family. I am thankful that I have unconditional love from my parents, but part of me feels guilty that when I'm sick off work my parents cut off their own personal time so I am monitored.

I can understand what you mean when you say that your symptoms aren't as tangible as broken limbs. It can be hard to explain to a person without a mood disorder when you are feeling "off" while being further put off from talking if they misquote/misinterpret what you say. When I'm stable I consciously try to use analytical thinking until a stressful situation come along. I do not have rapid cycling, but this can be scary when I suffer from panic attacks after having held back emotional expression for weeks on end.

As a side note, I am wondering if we are supposed to use nicknames on this page to avoid being identified personally. I do not have such concerns myself, but I think it may be a protective security measure to ensure that each member is granted privacy. Sometimes a person can express their emotions more freely if they believe that no one can identify them by name.

Comment

Yes it is recommended that you don't use your real name. It is a security and privacy consideration.
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Ann and welcome to the forum. Please use the forum to ask questions, answer other people's questions and/or use the forum to vent out a few of life's frustrations.

in regards to a broken leg, I'd rather lose a leg than have a mental illness. Our illness do have a tendency to make us feel guilty when we should not. Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Ann,

It's funny that you mention physical ailments vs the mental terror we live with. My psychatrist asked me if I would rather have a physical or mental ailment. I unequivocally stated physical- he replied to me 'In 25 years I have never had someone say mental'.

All the best to you and keep up the fight

Comment

Working...
              X