Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing New Here

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I have been battling depression, anxiety and OCD for 23 years. I like to go by the nickname 'Hellfish' because I feel like a mental health warrior (The Fighting Hellfish is from the Simpsons for anyone who is a fan of the TV show) I have had my share of severe ups and downs over the years.

I have made my fair share of mistakes which have at times exacerbated my illness and hurt my family. I have tried to get off my medication only to come to the realization that I will need them for the rest of my life.

Johnny Cash was asked in an interview if he had beat his drug and alcohol addictions. His reply has stuck a serious cord with me- Cash replied 'The beast is caged but it's always there'.

I feel exactly the same about my illness- the beast is caged. I hope that I can offer support to anyone who is having difficulty. I figure there must be a reason I have been afflicted with this illness and that reason might be to help others.

Thanks,

Hellfish

Welcome to the forum Hellfish.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Hellfish,

I really respect your perspective on being affected by mental health issues and what you hope to make of it in terms of helping others. I think support is the greatest form of aid we can get when it comes to this illness. Its invaluable to receive support from others who have gone through or are going through similar battles. I too hope I can help others in any way possible, though I know sometimes I can barely help myself. Take care for now.

Bella

Comment

Thank you Bella- These are very kind and touching words. I try and live by spiritual and inspirational quotes to get me by in my most difficult and darkest times. Winston Churchill once said 'continuous effort, not strength or intelligence, Is the key to unlocking our potential'. People who do not suffer as we do make the assumption that we are not strong- but these same people do not realize the tenacity we have to survive. Even if you feel you sometimes that you have difficulty helping yourself you do have tenacity-which will be the key to carry on

Comment

You bring up a very good point Hellfish. Living with this illness has forced us to persevere through some of the darkest periods of our life. For that we are some of the strongest people alive. Often I feel ostracized by people because they view me as weak and pathetic, but they don't know the amount of strength I have had to search for within myself to get through some of the most difficult situations in my life. I think many people can relate, and it's us who truly know the tenacity we have to survive. I appreciate the quote you have shared. It's a simple reminder that we should recognize that we continue to endure and overcome so many difficult times and we do have the strength within us to always continue.

Bella

Comment

Working...
          X