A Little About Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing A Little About Me

Hi there, so I've joined a few forums for mental health, for not only myself but to get advice for others.

I'm a 21 year old woman, living in Ontario with my boyfriend and his best friend. I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Major Depression, and also to note I have Hypothyroidism (previously Graves Disease, Hyperthyroidism). I do, however, question sometimes whether there may be a touch more going on mentally, so Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and Bipolar both are things that I question and dwindle on.

My mental illness was first diagnosed in 2011 after I locked myself away in my room, refusing to attend school, sleeping at least 18 hours at a time, then go three or so days without sleep. This was brought on from a stalking situation during high school, but I'll leave my stories to my next post. I was treated with a few different medications, Zoloft, Cipralex, Trazadone, Effexor, Prozac. After about a year on these medications, I felt great, back to my normal self, so I decided to stop the use of medications. *Please note* one should never cease use of their medications without consulting their physician!

I began to feel myself slipping back, but refused to admit it, saying that "It was just a phase before," "It was hormonal last time, so this can't be it." I let myself fall, wound up losing two jobs, and quitting my second attempt at college. I got help from the schools psychiatrist, receiving a FAR too low of a dosage of Cipralex, receiving no follow-up. I took my medications however, since they were too low and my thyroid's levels were extremely low, I went over the edge.

I found myself admitted into the psychiatric ward this past December as a voluntary patient and stayed there for about a week or so. Can't remember the exact amount of days, they all kind of tied together. There, the doctors found me the medications that would work better for me. So as of now I am on Cipralex, Zopiclone, Clonazepam, and of course my Eltroxin for my thyroid.

I had been feeling better for a little while after leaving the hospital, however, as of lately things have been declining again. So, here I am. I'll likely rant on here, give a little insight to my own experiences, ask lots of questions, and get as well as hopefully give as much as I can.

I look forward to hearing the experiences of others, offering support to others struggling, and sharing my own experiences.

Welcome to the forum GioDG. Thanks for sharing some of yourself with us. You'll find us to be a friendly supportive group of people.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi GioDG
      Welcome to the forum. I am fairly new to this group as well and have found everyone here very supportive. I feel really comfortable unloading when I am feeling overwhelmed or sometimes get comfort just by reading about others struggles to help me feel not so alone. It sounds like you have been carrying a lot for a while. I also have GAD & bipolar and just last year diagnosed with ADHD. Some days are real struggle as I am sure you can understand. Thank you for sharing your story and I hope you get some comfort from this group. Blessings.

Comment

Hello GioDG and welcome. In regards to possible having bipolar. Because bipolar can be a progressive illness( it may get worse as you get older sometimes) a lot of times bipolar first presents as another illness such as GAD and/or depression. People may experience some mild symptoms of bipolar, but not harsher ones until they get a bit older, or in my case , a lot older.

Often in teens and younger, the symptoms of mania present as sudden or prolonged anger or even rage rather than the more known symptoms. Unfortunately a lot of docs diagnose, label and then forget to check and see if the person has progressed to bipolar. The average time for a person to be properly diagnosed with bipolar is 5-8 yrs and part of that is because of the lack of follow up. (by docs). With the clarity of hindsight, (well sort of, I lost more than a few weeks over the year LOL) my first bipolar symptoms probably started when I child, I was in my mid 30's when I started being treated for anxiety, late 30's for depression and mid 40's by the time they finally got it right as bipolar and GAD.

My long overdo point is: Don't hesitate to ask your doc questions about possibly other symptoms that you may be experiencing. Just to confuse matters, there are 4 specific types of bipolar as well as mixed states. http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/Page..._bipolar_types

In regards to OCD, I know little other then the text book stuff, but I would guess that it can be progressive too.

Please feel free to rant on here, share your experiences , answer other people's questions and/or ask questions. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Thank you everyone for the friendly welcoming!

MoMoe, it is comforting to have other's who know how you feel, and to be able to offer help to them where we can. I'm glad you also recently found further support on here. I wish you well through your struggles and thank you for saying blessings, it is truly comforting to here even though I'm not highly religious. Thank you.

Paul, thank you for the information! I had no idea it could progress, but it would make sense for me personally. It has just sort of been a decline of good days then really bad days. After reading into it more, I have OCD tendencies but wouldn't say I have OCD. I rub my skin constantly as a response to anxiety.

I don't know if they are connected, but they certainly could be - I have lesions on my brain, 9 in very small size, largest being half an inch in length across the white matter of my brain. They said that I could have White Matter Disease but with how I have neurological symptoms present, they believe it could progress into MS. I believe the lesions could also potentially contribute to my mental health.

Thank you again for the warm welcome!

Comment

Hi Paul
            Somewhere on this forum site you mentioned a link to a mood tracker that people can use. I believe you were answering someone else letting them know that it was actually another member who had posted it. Do you by chance know where I could find that? I have downloaded a few apps for mood tracking but each one requires you to have your information visible to other members (even if it is anonymous). I am not willing to do that, but would like something, perhaps on my phone where I could quickly access when I feel a mood shift. I really want to get a better idea of observing any pattern that may be happening. I don't particularly mind paying for an app but I definitely do not want it to be in a forum setting where others can see what I am entering. I thought that was really strange to include that feature but I guess it is meant for an individual to have others to compare themselves to or feel inclusive to a community. Although that makes no sense to me either considering each person's background and daily experiences are uniquely their own.

Comment

Hi GioDG
              Hope you are feeling well today. I am having some struggles this last week so I have been reading some of the others posts to help comfort my feelings of being isolated and misunderstood. I've had a couple of significant stressors over the last week which I think has contributed to my anxiety. (2 of my very dear friends were diagnosed with breast cancer within days of each other. We are all friends so it is particularly sad for us all. I also had to ask a friend who was renting one of my rooms for the last few months to leave because he has a significant drinking problem that was getting out of control. I could handle him breaking things, falling down, me having to clean up kitchen after his late night drunken food frenzies (because he can't get up for 2 days after passing out) but leaving the stove on, forgetting & burning things in the oven, forgetting to close (forget about locking) the front door and belligerent verbal abuse when I try to make him go to bed became unbearable. I finally had enough when he came home, left the front door wide open proceeded to eat an ENTIRE ham (I shit you not), then threw up in every square inch of my dining room. Thats was it - I made him clean it up while he was drunk which he thought I should do because he wanted to go to bed. The next morning I woke him up bright and early - had to tell him what he had done and go rent a carpet cleaner to do the job properly. He was not one bit happy about it but I thought that was deserving. Yes I have a lot of patience but because he is my friend he had to go. I told him that our friendship has already been damaged by this and down the road we may be able to mend it but he needs to be out of my life now. He doesn't know where he will go but I did not back down to his guilt tactics and promises to not drink anymore. Now he has to explain to his parents why he needs to move back wth them at 43 years old. GEE -sorry for ranting but i feel like a huge weight has been lifted once I told him to leave. He is not willing to admit he has a problem, partly because he can not remember his behaviour due to his major blackouts. He thinks I am exaggerating when I have tried to tell him so I don't even bother. I just want him gone. I don't care if he thinks I am being a drama queen. None of my circle of friends who I met him through will even come to my house or invite me out because they know he is part of the deal now. I only found that out when I told them all he was leaving. The couldn't believe I had let him stay as long as I did. I do truly wish the best for him though. I guess that is what one would call tough love??

Comment

Hello MoeMo. I have to make this quick as I have about 5 min and then I'm out of time so please excuse any mistakes.

There are many ways to track our moods. One of the more innovative ones is the one from CREST BD. A BC think tank. It`s not a chart, but it's easy to use and can be accumulated, plus it only has to be done once a week, but can be done more often. It was designed for people with bipolar, but can be used by anyone. https://www.bdqol.com/

I haven't tried the following, http://www.findingoptimism.com/ or http://www.moodpanda.com/ but they apparently can be used with a smart phone.

This is one I have tried and is not too bad , you have to sort a bit to get to it, but you don't have to register, until you want to use it. https://www.mooddisorders.ca/blog/md...my-action-plan

For pen and paper people there is http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/...urprogress.pdf or http://www.dbsalliance.org/pdfs/tracking.pdf or http://www.cqaimh.org/pdf/tool_edu_moodchart.pdf or https://www.depakote.com/resources/mood-tracker

If you find one that works let me know. Take Care. paul m
                "Alone we can do so little;
                Together we can do so much"
                Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                X