Hello- introducing myself, and notes on supplements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Topics Hello- introducing myself, and notes on supplements

Hi, I just joined. I'm luckily not in crisis at the moment- I had a rough week (my father died on March 5th, and I've been caring for my mother, who has a broken wrist), but I'm back at work and everyone has been very supportive.

I actually suffered a lot prior to December 2014- I would have the worst episodes of depression, I felt awful, I could feel them coming on and braced for them, but it always left me weeping and absolutely miserable for days on end. I managed, but I think I alienated friends and family who just can't get it.

Anyway, I was diagnosed bipolar in late November 2014, read some books on bipolar disorder, and stumbled across a nutritional supplement which helped me (and it might help others who have low serotonin levels). It's 5-hydroxytryptophan, or 5-HTP, a non-prescription supplement you can get at Bulk Barn which is a serotonin precursor (it gets converted to serotonin in your body). If you have low serotonin, it might help- for me, it really took the edge off how terrible I felt when depressed. I still get depressed, but it isn't nearly so awful as before. If you don't have low serotonin, it might make you angry or aggressive, so try to get checked first. If you want to tinker, stay with the low dose. I take the smallest dose I could find- 50 mg, one tablet every morning. Don't mess with taking lots and lots- like with any supplement, more is not always better!

I also recently was diagnosed with B12 deficiency. One side effect of this is psychosis. I am hoping my frequent and very disturbing delusional episodes willl be reduced in a few months- apparently B12 supplementation (I take a sublingual tablet, 1000 mcg, as my doctor prescribed) takes about 2 months to take effect in this regard. I do feel better and more energetic, so that's something, anyway. It doesn't hurt for you to ask your doctor to check your B12 levels if you're feeling lethargic and suffer from a lot of delusional thinking- can't hurt, might help.

I've read some truly wrenching stories on this forum, and I may myself offer a few of them in time. I hope my little notes about supplements offer some hope/help for people who suffer the same symptoms. I also take antipsychotics, but I find they aren't always enough, particularly when life throws a curve ball.

Luck and love to you all.

Liz

Hi Liz and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Liz. Welcome to the forum. First off I wish to express my condolences at the loss of your father. Losing a parent is one of life's most difficult times and compounded that much more when challenged by a mood disorder. I extend to you my best wishes during a difficult time.

Thank you for your post regarding the supplements. I have always searched for alternative means of managing my depression, especially when I was finding that my conventional and trusted meds no longer seemed to be working. The information you shared is appreciated and definitely worth consideration.

Take care and hope you will continue to post.

Comment

I must certainly be ill because I don't know how to start a thread or post in other words I'm real lost. Any help would be great I'm frustrated, I sure it can't be as hard as I'm making it out to be. I did reply to a person but I'm not sure how I did it LOL, going to bed hopefully tomorrow will get better.

Take care all
        Anne

Comment

Welcome to the forum Anne.

You might find this helpful Anne. http://www.mooddisorderscanada.ca/fo...eading_posting
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
          X