House Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House Hunting

I've mentioned before that I'm a student. I'm long distance from my husband and son for school, and I've been living with a couple of classmates who are about 15 years younger than me. I'm also a huge introvert, and living with people who aren't my family has been extremely taxing on my mental health. I was prepared to suck it up for the year, but I went home for a weekend and they had some people over, and I came back to solid evidence that people were in my room while I was out of town. That was the last straw, so I've been looking for a new place... not shared.

Real estate here is so overpriced though! Cost of living between here and home is almost identical (same province), except that the rent for a one bedroom apartment here is the same as my mortgage payment for a three bedroom house. I can't hack that on a student budget! All the places that I can actually afford are either 300 square feet and super seedy or get snapped up before I can go see them (my school schedule makes it hard, especially since we're in midterms right now so I couldn't skip even if I wanted to). It's been a really frustrating search! With all that said though, I'm looking at a place this morning that looks really promising. I'm so hoping that this might be the one!
    Pressure makes diamonds....

Good luck with your search Gossip. Keep us posted.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Good Luck with your apt hunting, I know how stressful it can be. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Moving in two weeks. Thank god!

Comment

That's great news. I assume you have a reasonably priced decent place to move into.
          AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I do! It's a little more than what I'm paying now, but still quite manageable. A quarter of a four-plex in a fairly nice neighbourhood. I got lucky and spotted the ad about half an hour after it was posted, so I was one of the first to look at it and I snapped it up. Now I have to figure out what and when to tell my roommates. They're my classmates, so I can't just vanish in the night....

Comment

I would tell them sooner then later. First, you'll get it over with, and secondly, they'll appreciate the advance to notice to find someone else. If you put the focus on yourself and your needs, then hopefilly they won't make it about them! (that would make the rest of your stay there uncomfortable). You really don't need to give an explanation, but one is always appreciated.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Roommates now know that I'm leaving. I made it about my mental wellness, which is something that's really being emphasized in our program because it's a huge issue in our profession. They were both gone for the weekend, so I waited until both were back so I only had to have that conversation once. Our situation is a bit unique and I don't think it will affect their rents, which is good (though if I'm wrong it honestly isn't my problem... I'm going to do what I have to, to preserve my mental health - it's been a bit tenuous lately).

Comment

That's good that you're taking steps to improve your living space. Home is supposed to be home sweet home! LOL
                  AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Congratulations on finding a place and dealing with the roommates Gossip!
                    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks uni!

Unfortunately I'm not moving next week after all. I have to wait until December 1st due to some circumstances out of my control. But at least there's a light at the end of the tunnel now!

Comment

I'm glad to hear that you still get to move even though it's delayed. I agree that a light at the end of a tunnel makes a difference!
                        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

So this whole plan hit a bit of a snag when the suite I was supposed to be moving into was flagged by the city as needing upgrades to bring it into compliance with newly updated building codes. The landlord offered me my deposit back right away, but I told him to find out what they wanted upgraded first, and what would be involved. I'd hate to panic and bail only to find out it was something super simple! He hasn't heard back from the inspectors yet, but in my search for a backup plan I discovered that he has a comparable suite in another building in the same neighbourhood for rent, also available for December 1st. So I called and asked about it. He said it's not as nice a suite (but the rent is lower) but I'm welcome to take it instead if it suits me. I'm seeing it tomorrow morning, and I have everything so crossed that this works out! I like the area, I like the landlord, and the first suite was far beyond my expectations for the price. Not quite as nice will likely still be perfectly fine, but we'll see....

Comment

Let us know how you make out.
                            AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

All is well, I'm taking the other suite. Can't wait to move, I really think it's going to make a huge difference for my mental health!

Comment

Working...
                              X