Ect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing Ect

Hello. I just joined yesterday and am looking for testimonials on ECT. I have a terrible time with meds and feel that this might help when nothing else has. Appreciate any feedback...thx

Hi Notnow and welcome to the forums. I have no personal experience with ECT but wanted to welcome you.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello notnow and welcome. I don't have any experience with ECTs either. However I do know a lot of people who have had them. Those people have told me that the results have generally been good. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Hello notnow, and welcome. I came close to having ECT at one point, but tried one last ditch at medication and that turned the tide, so the ECT never happened. However, I've met a few people for whom it helped a lot. Unfortunately I lost track of those people and don't know how they made out down the road. If you're more of a tech person than me, I suggest you search around the forum for other posts about ECT because I'm sure the topic has come up before.
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks so much for the info everyone. What I have gleaned from a few sources has been positive.

Comment

I hope there are more positives to come!
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I've actually had some good early results with Trazadone which is the 5th drug I've tried. ECT on the shelf for now

Comment

I'm glad to hear that Trazadone looks promising. I hope it continues to be a good option for you.
                AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                for not being what they believe they should be.
                -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I had ECT. 5 or 6 treatments while hospitalized. I don't recall how many exactly, because it can mess with your memory. I was completely non-responsive to the medication and what was offered as therapy. When the psychiatrist put the idea on the table, I was terrified because of the way movies used to portray it. It's not like that. You will convulse, you will be sore and tired after. But you won't experience the ECT as they put you under a general anesthetic. You're out for the whole thing.

Each session produced some improvement, or so I'm told. I sort of recall. The last one though made me kind of zombie like. There wasn't an improvement and I became emotionally flat and not very responsive. So my wife called it off. The thing is, it got me to a place where medication and therapy started to help.

I got stabilized and released. I won't say I was fine because I wasn't, and I'm not, but I was not obsessing over death and I was able to handle things and even resume working and advancing in my career. But life happens. I'm not in a great place right now mentally and emotionally, but I'm trying.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience EaB. Good luck to you.

Comment

Well, after reaching max dose (300mg) of Trazadone, the side effects have become too severe. Terrible dry mouth, night sweats, bad dreams and priapism causing poor sleep. I will scale it back to 250mg hopefully mitigating these awful side effects, while still benefiting mood.

Comment

Hello notnow. I'm sorry to hear that the side effects are interfering like that. Scaling back sounds like a good idea. Are you under a doctor's supervision while changing the dosage? Going it alone can be iffy,
                        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Oh I know...I went through a terrible rebound affect a couple years ago even when weening off of Cymbalta. I have a very supportive doctor thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X