Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Topics Self care

Hello again,

For those who read my post on the subject of 'boundaries', this post is along the same lines. In the book I am reading ("Transform Your Boundaries", by Sarri Gilman), the author talks about the importance of self-care. She suggests that people with weak boundaries can often lack skills in self-care. As an exercise she asks the reader to list all self-care activities that we can think of - anything that we could do for ourselves. Examples range from fun things, like walking or bowling, to things that are important to or heath and safety, like going to the dentist. The idea is to get us to recognize what gives us that bit if energy we need to on, and to recognize that our needs are important too. She also, as another exercise, challenges us to recognize what obstacles might stand in the way of our self care, and then to find a way around them (or over them).

I would love to hear some ideas of things people do to look after themselves. (And some of the obstacles that stand in the way, or that you have overcome.)

Thanks,
    Kaight

As a student, I block off time in my schedule when I'm not allowed to study. Once we're done class on Friday, that's it for the rest of the day. Nothing is going to be due on Saturday, so I can afford to take that night off and get back to it in the morning. The main obstacle to this one is guilt, but it's eased with time as I've been able to see the benefit of taking that break.
    Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

That's an awesome idea Gossip. It can be easy to think 'I'll just take a break when the work is done.' Of course, when does that ever happen.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

"When the work is done?" I think this is where I point out that we take a double to triple course load depending on the year!
        Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

Oh dear! I thought the regular course load was enough. Between classes, labs, assignments and exams, that was enough for me!
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Haha! When is all the work done?! Good question.

I think it is fantastic Gossip that you give yourself that break - a good example of respecting your needs.

Comment

This might seem like a trivial activity, but I play Pokemon Go. It keeps me outside on my bike, getting exercise, but not overdoing it (as I tend to if I'm not stopping frequently). I find I ride farther by taking all the little detours to find pokestops.

The main obstacle is that my wife thinks it's a silly game (even though she spends hours playing repetitive games on her phone). I try to brush that off, but her opinion matters to me, so it still bugs me.

Overall, the benefits far outweigh the obstacles. My jeans are fitting looser. We just moved, about the time I started playing, and I have farther to ride to work. So the longer commute, plus the distraction to slow me down and extend my ride, are resulting in a noticeable physical effect.
              --
              Just hit pause...

Comment

Sleep is big for me, If I don't sleep well, especially if it drags on for days, I get ditzy and grumpy and have trouble doing things properly. So I sleep sometimes even if it means missing out on an activity. I give myself the permission, even If it means saying "no" and others may not like it. They're better off not being around sleepy grumpy me anyway lol
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Oh, you seem to have touched on an important topic for me. I hadn't really thought that I might have problems with personal boundaries until I read a girl's post on Instagram. From the examples she gave, I associated my behavior and understood why I had so many problems in my life. And now your post has exposed another one of my problems - it's tough for me to take care of myself. There are always more important things to do than sign up for a manicure, haircut, and facial https://www.premierlaserandskinclinic.com/ I have to force myself to do it, I thought I was just lazy, but now I guess I should read this book. Thanks for the advice.
                  Last edited by ridosken; September 11, 2021, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X