Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

General Topics Phone calls from health professionals

Well, knock me over with a feather!

Last week I got a phone call from my family doctor's office (a colleague of his to be exact) to check out how I've been doing. I'm pretty sure that things are slow in the clinics around here, people are staying away in droves due to the virus. Anyway, we had a nice chat, went over my medical info and prescriptions, and I'm right on track. No visit required, virtual or otherwise. That's good news, because when I saw it was the clinic calling I thought "ack! - that's never good". Glad I was wrong!

Now today I got a call from one of the provincial mental health counselors who runs a therapy group I'd been part of. He too was just checking up on me. It was actually quite nice to talk with him, even though I'm doing as well as one can expect right now. It was good to touch base and I felt a little more secure somehow after our chat. I wasn't aware I was feeling insecure, but I guess it wouldn't be surprising with all the uncertainty around us. Regular counseling appointments are all done by phone right now, but the office is still functioning. And instead of Monday to Friday walk-in help there's Monday to Friday phone in help. A pretty decent setup under the circumstances I'd say..

He said things have been a bit slow lately so they're wondering whether there will be an influx once "opening up" Saskatchewan gets going. He also mentioned a federal government online mental health program and will be emailing info later in the week. Unless of course he's needed to work the special phone line they have to support the health workers' mental health. All interesting information.

uni

~ it's always worth it ~

I've had phone appointments with both my GP and my neurologist, and a video appointment with my psychiatrist. Nobody's seeing people in person here unless it's truly unavoidable, and I don't blame them. Because of the whole setup with my schooling I spend 8 months in one city on my own, and 4 home with my family. I'm home right now, but none of my medical care is here because this isn't where I spend most of my year. So phone and video appointments mean I still get care, and can avoid making the drive, too.
    Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

Hello Uni. I've had 3 appts replaced by telephone appts. I like not having to go to the doctors but my radiologist appt is supposed to be every 4mths. It really can't be replaced by a phone call as my neck needs to be felt by human hands and by putting a scope part way down my throat in order to see if there any new growths. There is not much he can ck by phone. He spent a whole 6 minutes talking with me.. My appt with my GP(by phone) was mediocre and took 10 min. My appt with my psychiatrist lasted 23 minutes and went very well. So I guess that I have to give the medical system a bare pass on their performance. I'm sure that a lot of nurses would like to not have to go into work too, but that is not possible. Actually I have to get an injection every two weeks and the nurse has been really good about it. She sez she is much less busy due to the virus, but I thank her for her working during trying times.

Anyways thx for letting me blow off some steam. Take Care paul m.
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

I guess it's all uncharted territory no matter where you live. Gossip, I hope you enjoy the four months with your family! Paul, I'd be frustrated too in your situation. I hope you can get a proper checkup soon. Blow off more steam here if necessary (that wasn't much compared to some people I know )!
        uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I don't like it when the staff of the medical center call on the phone and start asking how I feel. In particular, it annoys me when psychologists call on the phone and finds out about the well-being. Just how a person can be sure that only a psychologist hears his answers. I had a case when my friend turned to my psychologist, and he blabbed about my mental problems. When I found out about such negligence, I turned to professional lawyers in this domain. With the help by a lawyer, I was able to get moral compensation from a psychologist.
          Last edited by Sativea; March 15, 2021, 05:48 AM.

Comment

My nutritionist is a great man who have always been kind to me and my family members. Every time we have a question regarding our food product list, we call him and he gives us the necessary advice. I thought it might be useful for you to tell you want supplements I started to consume. If you are in a position that you want to lose some weight, I would definitely recommend you to take healthcanalsupplements lbecause these are the most efficient I have ever tried.

Comment

I love such kind of doctors!

Comment

Nowadays, it is tough to find a doctor who will really care about you.
                Unfortunately, I had pretty bad experiences with the doctors in my life. I was given the wrong diagnosis and the wrong medication. Once my doctor told me directly, he doesn't know what I am sick of—total disaster.
                Thank God I found Dr. Chamberlin, an amazing guy. He is always following up on me when I am sick. He even made me do some researches regarding diseases and how to prevent them. Here's one of the sites he recommended: melbournefunctionalmedicine.com.au!

Comment

Emias, I totally agree with you. It is hard to find a good doctor. I am so glad that you found a doctor that is willing to go the extra mile for you. Thank you for sharing this link on the forum.

Mocha231

Comment

I didn't like talking to doctors over the phone because it's quite difficult to explain what hurts and what kind of pain. I am sure that standard check-ups are much more effective. I try to take good care of my health by going to the hospital as rarely as possible.
                    Last edited by AJ; May 6, 2022, 12:18 AM. Reason: Removed commercial link

Comment

Working...
                    X