Family Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Safety

My 17 year old son is dealing with Mental illness of some sort (anxiety, depression, etc.). We have supported him so much but he is to the point where he will not take meds, will not talk to a Dr. or councillor. His anger outbursts are effecting the family as my younger son and daughter are scarred and he is causing lots of damage to our home. Last nite he had an out burst and i was on the phone with the police again. They didnt come to the home, i just wanted to know my options. The police said they could only take him from the home if he was of harm to himself or others. What are my options with him? we are all scared of him, and are tired of walking on egg shells...........I dont know what to do. looks like the only viable option for us is to split up and my wife take my younger kids and i take the older kid. there must be more options..........

Hi mike999 . When someone refuses all options of help there is little you can do. If he is causing damage to your home in a rage you can ask the police to take him to the hospital for assessment. The cops may have had inter actions with him before and if he was quickly released then they are sometimes less than eager to step in. I'm not saying that is right but that is what happens sometimes. The docs there can determine if he is to be released right away or not.

As far as resources go you can 211 in BC and possibly find a place for support for your family. Unfortunately if drugs or booze are involve it can be pretty tough to get your son to go along and booze or drugs can be a very tough habit to beat even with the accompanying treatment.(Plus they both make depression worse). I'm not saying he suffers from an addiction for booze or drugs, however that is often a factor in depressive episodes and rage. Good Luck. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

Thanks for that Paul. Yes we did go through the process a couple of times with him ending up in the hospital. Problem was it made is rage go up 10x.....had to be restrained to bed on one occasion. I am not sure about the addiction to the alcohol or drugs neither, but he obviously trying to self medicate with it as he is stealing it (booze) from me, and i locking it up even. We are also missing cash on a few occasions and he is using it to buy pot.

so frustrating

Comment

Hello mike999. I don't have any great solutions , but you do have my sympathies as your situation must be very difficult. Take Care. paul m
        Helen Keller

Comment

I guess I am realizing just what I am looking for. I fully understand why some of the treatment centers need to have the patient 'willing' to go them. My son who is under the age of 18 obviously needs the help. We are obviously failed at getting him on the right medication when he was 'willing' to try different meds. He is borderline a risk to the family.......maybe a risk is a bit of a stretch, but he is scaring the shit out of everyone here. He is 17 now, i feel we are in a time crunch to get him staightend out somewhat before he turns 19.....and before we have to ask him to leave the house. Where will he end up then......? How much more pressure will that ad to our health care system or welfare system....? I guess i am looking to send him (willing or not) to somewhere he is forced to get the help. He stays there until he is on a proper medication.......

I dont know, i am just tying off the top of my head. What about private treatment centers......... I am by all means NOT a government basher, but i do feel there is a gap in the mental health system right now for me

Comment

Hello Mike999. Here in Ontario private treatment centres are great. The problem with them is that unless you have a very good insurance plan the wait times to get in are in the 2-3 year range. Or if you are wealthy enough you can get in right away, but the cost is something like $330 a day over and above you provincial health plan. Treatment plans usually run 35 days or so. And you are right there are huge gaps in the medical system.

To the best of my knowledge there is no place that will force a patient to follow a set plan. The only thing they might do is keep a person there under confinement and restricted privileges until the person falls in line. In Ontario that is usually done through public psychiatric hospitals, although a few general hospitals do have that ability. Of course the problem is that a person can take the meds and be a model patient while in and revert back after they are released. Take Care. paul m
            Helen Keller

Comment

thanks for that Paul

Comment

Originally posted by mike999 View Post
                My 17 year old son is dealing with Mental illness of some sort (anxiety, depression, etc.). We have supported him so much but he is to the point where he will not take meds, will not talk to a Dr. or councillor. His anger outbursts are effecting the family as my younger son and daughter are scarred and he is causing lots of damage to our home. Last nite he had an out burst and i was on the phone with the police again. They didnt come to the home, i just wanted to know my options. The police said they could only take him from the home if he was of harm to himself or others. What are my options with him? we are all scared of him, and are tired of walking on egg shells...........I dont know what to do. looks like the only viable option for us is to split up and my wife take my younger kids and i take the older kid. there must be more options..........
                Unfortunately the options are hard to complete. Your options are medication, counsellor, and the Dr. There is therapy, i think you may need to pray on it, and work on changing his mind so he will consider one of the options. Its hard to work with someone when they just do not want to hear it, and that goes for everything. Work on changing his mind, and talk some sense into him. Open and honest communications in a way that is more subtle but more direct is what is needed. Do not be worried about saying something hurtful but true. He has a mind and a will and you can work with that. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X