Dry Mouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Mouth

Hello All. There was a thread about burning mouth syndrome. AJ provided a really good link to the Mayo Clinic about the syndrome. I would like to add a few words about some of the problems that lithium can cause and the prior thread has been closed so I have started a new one.

Lithium in itself doesn't cause many oral problems other than dry mouth. However dry mouth can cause a huge range of problems ranging from many extra dental cavities to fungal or bacterial infections(which is one of the things that can cause burning mouth). There are products available from your pharmacist to prevent your mouth from drying out, especially at night. I hate them, but some people don't mind.

The Mayo clinic also has a list of possible home solutions to dry mouth and is in the link at the end of this. You can also get prescription meds to make your body produce more salvia, but I am unsure of the pros and cons of this.

Insufficent water intake can, even if one takes no medications, cause dry mouth all by itself.One common sign of dry mouth is a salty or metallic taste in our mouth. Those of us who take lithium often do not drink enough water and/or drink too many things that act as direutics(coffee, booze etc). Sufficent water intake can be a chronic problem when taking lithium. One last thing. Some mouth washes can actually contribute to dry mouth. Mouth washes contain alcohol may do this. Take Care. paul m

"Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

When I was on lithium, the psychiatrist told me to pick up a pack of Meloids to help with the dry mouth. They're tiny, black candies that have some sort of cayenne pepper and cause you to salivate.

Comment

Thanks Paul for the info ....I didn't have dry mouth with lithium at all until I woke up that morning with the burning mouth and I drink lots of water but drank pop too and started drinking more alcohol but have stopped the alcohol and cut down on the pop so that probably helped too but had done that before the burning mouth too...it is getting better since I stopped lithium, maybe just a fluke...
      Sinceriously

Comment

Thanks Ladyswan
        I think they are a mint if so it hurts burning mouth...

Comment

I'm not sure how the other thread got locked, but I unlocked it yesterday. http://www.mooddisorderscanada.ca/fo...Mouth-Syndrome
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Sinceriously. It may have been a coincidence or lithium may have just dryed out your mouth enough that an infection, fungus etc got started. Lithium causes a variety of oral problems that the docs fail to warn us about. Whatever happened I am sure that it was unpleasant for you and I hope that it continues to get better. Take Care. paul m.

Hello ladyswan. Thx for the tip. I will try it someday soon as I am always plagued by dry mouth. Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Hi,

I just thought I would add a thought. Even since I have stopped taking lithium I find I have dry mouth. Arg I hate it. I find if I chew sugarless gum, it works for me.
              Wishing you well,
              Re-O

You're not as messed up as you think people think you are

Comment

Working...
              X