Summer Heat and your meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Heat and your meds

Hello Everybody. With the hot weather just around the corner(I hope) I thought I would bring up the topic of heat and meds.

Many meds have very small tempature ranges before they start to degrade. For example Lithium and tegretol 15-30 degrees(59-86), wellbutrin and lorazepam 20-25(68-77). This not not mean that they will instantly be of no use once they reach those temps. But it does mean when you leave them locked in your car or in your purse at the beach they may not work as well in the future. The same can happen when we carry our meds in our inner pockets next to our 37 degree body heat.

These are the Mfg's guidelines only and your druggists can better tell you how long they can be exposed to heat or cold before they will be affected.

My wife and I go on many picnics and I have a seperate very small cooler with a cold pack and a thermometer in it. This seems to work well. (just do not get the cold pack to cold). Now bring on the hot weather. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

While we're on the subject of heat, there are some medications that can make it more difficult for the body to regulate body temperature. Check with your pharmacist about your particular meds. While you're at it, ask about your meds with regard to sun sensitivity. Some medications can make you burn more easily than you normally would. It can be an issue any time of year, but especially in the summer when people tend to be outside more.

Paul, all this talk of heat and sun makes me want summer to come. We got snow the other day, so I might have to wait a little longer.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Both good advice thank you
      I would have never thought that body heat as a factor.

I use to keep my medication in the fridge but then we had kids and that changed. I guess I could get back into that practise again.

Woody

Comment

Hello Woody. Cool damp places are as bad as hot places for meds. Most of my of my meds cannot tolerate below 15 degrees(59) and most fridges are below that. Sometimes in the heat I want to store myself in the fridge. I wonder if that would hurt my meds. Take Care. paul m

Hello AJ. Your right about certain meds causing problems with sunlight.Thx for the reminder. Everybodies different, but I find that lithium makes me more prone to overheating as well. Snow, what that? . The last of ours melted off of my front lawn yesterday, so I now consider it summer! Besides in Cda snow is supposed to stay until hockey is finished. We've had a lot of early springs in Ont. lately. Take Care. paul m
        Helen Keller

Comment

I would advise against putting medication in the fridge. Unless it was manufactured with a recommendation to store in the fridge, don't. Drugs manufactured to be stored at room temperature have been tested for stability and effectiveness at room temperature. Fridge temperature is considered to be 2 to 8 degrees Celsius. Room temperature is considered to be between 15 and 25 (some manufactures list 15 to 30) degrees Celsius. Sometimes our summer temperatures go above the room temperature range. Try to store in the coolest part of the house. Drugs should also not be stored in the freezer unless recommended by the manufacturer to do so. There are very few that require freezer storage. Leaving drugs in the car can be a bad thing in the winter and the summer.

Believe it or not, the bathroom is one of the worst places to keep drugs,
          in spite of the medicine cabinet being there. It's warm and moist. Not a good environment for drug storage. Cupboards are better than counters to avoid direct sunlight. (Amber vials are important for certain drugs that are particularily sensitive to sunlight.) Don't forget to keep out of the reach of children.

Okay, I'll stop rambling now.
          AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

There is only one drug that comes to mind that needs to be stored in the freezer and I am not going there!

When we had kids, I when the the hardware store and got a toolbox and a lock and stuck everything that I could find in there. That way the kids could never get at them. I still have that little red toolbox in the closet. Now I only keep long term or stuff that I only use in a blue moon.
            Woody

Comment

I'll show you my toolbox if you show me yours.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Woody. A toolbox is a pretty good suggestion. I spent about $30 and a lot of frustration modifying a cabinet for mine.Dumb me. However if I was not to use it for a long time I would never find the key. Heck sometimes when I do not drive for a while I am lucky to find my car keys . Take Care. paul m
                Helen Keller

Comment

Actually Paul, there where a slew of remark regarding men and toys and other degrading comments to which I will spare you. And as for keeping keys, come on ... the best place to keep the key is on the nail next to the door frame!

Alright AJ ... ready your toolbox

Woody

Comment

Darn, I lost the key to my tool box. I'd break into it, but all my tools are in it.
                    AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Well the only neighbourly thing to do is to lend you my cellphone so that you can call the lock smith.
                      Woody

Comment

Do you have a hammer? If I bang it with a cell phone, I might break the cell phone.
                        AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

The last time I called a locksmith, it cost me $140. Probably cheaper to buy a new toolbox. Take Care. paul m
                          Helen Keller

Comment

Paul

~Woody keeps a watchfull eye on AJ as he lends her is hammer~

After all she did loose the keys

«§» If I Had A Hammer ( Peter, Paul And Mary )
                            Woody

Comment

Paul I hope it was a long lost *expensive* treasure locked up.

Woody, that song, too funny.
                              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Working...
                              X