Why some antidepressants don't work for some people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why some antidepressants don't work for some people

Hello Everyone. Yesterday I was at a suicide awareness conference. It was a pretty interesting day, but one of the most interesting facts I learned was one that I had long suspected. How certain drugs affect us depends on how fast of metabolism that we have. Most of my medications are checked by way of blood work, so that it really doesn't matter to me as I can always get blood work done, but for some meds there is no blood work that can predict effectiveness.

The lecturer stated that some antidepressants are virtually useless for some people, especially for those who have a high metabolism. For those with a slow metabolism the medications may build up in the system and cause serious side effects. As doctors tend to prescribe medications from a book at standard dosages, this can cause problems.

Below are some articles that I researched when I got home. The first article has a chart 3/4 of the way down the page that does a better job of showing the effects that I can print. The next two are articles about research that is being done where doctors soon will be able to better predict which antidepressants may or may not work for some people.

Hopefully we will soon be able to get a check swab and have a better chance of getting a more effective medication the first time rather than trail and error that we go through now.

In the short run though, the moral of the story is, if your antidepressants isn't working , try a different one, perhaps one that isn't metabolized in the same way. Take Care. paul m

"Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Thanks for sharing, Paul. This is interesting information.

Comment

Yeah that is interesting stuff Paul. Thanks for passing it along. How do you find out about these conferences anyway?
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni and Astronaut thx for your Comments. How did I get involved. Well many years ago my doctor reffered me to a church basement where something called a manic depression/depression support group was meeting. After my wife dragged me out of the car, I went in and started to learn things about my illness.

Pretty much all of the contacts that I have made all started in that church basement. I've met people from all walks of life, attended numerous meetings and learned a lot all because some people were nice to me. It took me a long time to learn and make the contacts that I have now, but I will pass on some good starting points to save everyone a few years.

I still can't afford to pay to attend conferences, but the second last one I attended I got in for free because I organized it and was one of the speakers and the last one I got in for free because I volunteered to man an info booth for another organization during breaks and lunch etc.

However, the question was "How do I find out about all of these conferences etc?" I register for an e newsletter with many organizations and I keep an eye on local health agencies websites like CMHA . Below are some websites that send out e newsletters, are worth reading, are free and they don't bug you for money. If you don't like them, just hit delete and they are gone. Take Care. paul m

In Ontario The Mood Disorders Assoc :http://www.mooddisorders.ca/

Canada wide: The Mood Disorder Society of Cda (they also run this website): http://www.mooddisorderscanada.ca/

The Mental Health Comission of Cda: http://www.mentalhealthcommission.ca...s/default.aspx

My Local United way also runs some programs and I got put on their email list.

I also get updates in some areas from my local health care unit via email (Ontario is divided into 14 units) I'm sure that other provinces have similiar.
        Helen Keller

Comment

So that's how you do it! Thanks for the links. I got what may be a newsletter from the MDSC but haven't opened it yet (I don't always keep up on my email).
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks for the great idea of the newsletters. I go to sites all the time and never even noticed.

Comment

Hello Vitality. Thx. To be honest it was a long time before I noticed too. However some can be really interesting and some are, well not so interesting. Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
              X