Meds and Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meds and Choices

Hello Everyone. Over the course of the yrs I have seen a lot of people who were taking a fairly large cocktail of pills every day. I am one of them. The part that I do not understand is that many people who take this large number of pills do not improve, nor do their doc's seem to help.

I am not blaming them, but sometimes when I get into a discussion with people, even I can clearly see what they are taking will not help them much in the long run.

For example there are still docs out there who prescribe anti-depressants to people with bipolar as a first line defence. This has a 50% chance of making their problems worse. Often docs miss the forest for the trees, being so anxious to stablize us, that they miss the long term goal of a normal life.

The following are just my random thoughts and please do not make any change without talking to your doc.

Mood Stabilizers. Lithium can be hard on the digestion, give you the shakes and great thirst. Why do docs not automatically prescribe lithium sr first as it is much easier to tolerate. Often if someone does better on lithium, they will often do even better on a second mood stabilzer, rather than some other drug. Or sometimes two other mood stabilizers will work well together(there are many).

Anti-psychotics. Sometimes a necessary evil, but again the slow release(SR) version is usually easier to tolerate. The odds of getting tardive dyskinesia is about 5% per yr of taking them. Not bad if you are old like I am, but if your in your 20's you may want to ask about alternatives.

Anti-depressants and the bipolar. I take a/d from time to time, but if I take them for very long my moods will start to zoom up and crash down. Very few people that I have meet(with bipolar) have ever done well on a/ds. Yet all sorts have them prescribed.

Benzodiapines. Again I take them, but only short acting ones. I see long acting ones prescribed for the long term and it is a well known fact that this type of medication loses it's effect in the long run if used regularly.

Sleeping aids, they are great, but a lot are very addictive and lose effectiveness in a few mths and can be extremely difficult to quit taking. Ask your pharmicist about the best way to take them without them forming an addiction.

I rarely tell anyone what types of meds to take. There are too many variables that only you and your doc know about. But everybody should know what their alternatives are and what the long term potential for problems is from any meds. Sometimes it's the very small differences that can make a large difference in our comfort levels.

Some docs do not seem to have time to go over meds with us. Your pharmicist can help in that directions. Do not hesitate to ask them for instuctions or alternatives. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

thanks Paul... these things are definitely good to know, specially for those like me who are just starting to take meds!

Anne.
    Anne.

Comment

Hello Anne. One of the most unfortunate happenings these days is the shortage of docs. You mention in another post that you have to wait until mid-September to see your pdoc.

Unfortunately that makes it very difficult to change or adjust meds. We may have discussed this before, but sometimes its best to have a couple of alternatives lined up and be ready to hit the doctor with them if you feel that the med you are on is not doing the job. By having possible alternatives ready, or suggested dosage increases/decreases, it prevents the doc from just saying "take this" and come back in 90 days.

I also find it better to hit the doc with possible changes early in the appointment, otherwise I find myself rushed at the end.

It can be very difficult to research a med when we are sick, but all we can do is pick our good days and try then. Plus of course I am always willing to tell someone where to go( to look up stuff silly).

I hope that things are going a little better for you than they were. Take Care. paul m
      Helen Keller

Comment

Sometime I muse if we would not be better with Grazilda making us up some of her home brews in her cauldron! lol

I have to admit that my Pdoc has actually put in quite the bit of effort to find the right combo for me and still does.

We have this little ritual that we do at the beginning of each appointment. He always asks me how I have been doing since I last saw him and I almost always answer with something to do with a symptom and the corresponding the med. ie "I'm having trouble getting up in the morning so I think we need to reduce my Methoprazine " or something like that. Eventually he asks me again how my week was and I answer him. But that seems to work.

When this all started again, I had heard about these cocktails and I had told myself that I would never go that route. But the more that I go on and the more drugs that we try and fail the more I realize I am willing to compromise if it is going to make me be able to cope with everyday life.
        Woody

Comment

Any special spirits in the home brew? I hate the whole notion of cocktails, but it is a reality for me too. Actually there are a lot of health issues that need to be treated with a cocktail.
          AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
          for not being what they believe they should be.
          -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Grizelda, the Ghastly Gourmet For those of you who did not watch the The Hilarious House of Frightenstein

Paul you kind of said it in a way but what I have tried to do is familiarize myself with the different classification of drugs. Mood stabilizer, SSRI, MAOI, Benzo, anti-psychotic so on. You get the picture. They seem to have similar side effects and expected results. So when he said we are going to try xyz I have a an idea as to the direction he is going. A good site I found was http://crazymedz.org/ Most of the site is written in English and not psychobabble so it does not put you completely out to sleep.
            Woody

Comment

Hello Woody. Crazy Meds is a great site. Your right it is easy to read and to page through. Like any site they have strengths and weakness's but overall it is a great site. Thx for bringing it up Woody.

This site has recently had some domain problems and rather then go through ----.org. you may find it easier to access directly through crazymeds.us. which is its new website. Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

I like to categorize my meds by their colour. In the morning I take two reds. In the evening I take one large orange, three small orange and one pink. I haven't liked the blue and the white pills that I've taken in the past. I also like sunlight better when it has a more yellow-y feel to it and less when it is more blue. I painted my whole suite "psychiatric green" - a nice calming green that tends slightly toward the yellower side of green.

Hey...if I'm have to be crazy, I might as well get some mileage out of it...

Comment

I guess I have an advantage being in my field. I don't have to do my drug homework before class.
                  AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                  for not being what they believe they should be.
                  -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Homework, nobody told me about homework. I'm going to quit being serious if there's homework. Take Care . paul m

Hello VillaStraylight. Green could be a good colour. Everytime I think of green I think of the incredible hulk and how he's like me when I'm really manic. Which is soothing for me, but perhaps not for anyone else .

Actually I often wondered which government employee was responsible for picking some of the soothing colours I've seen in pysch wards. I would like to lock them up there for a couple of yrs and see how soothing they find it . Take Care. paul m
                    Helen Keller

Comment

To quote a long time idol ...
                      It's not eazy being green (Kermit the Frog)

Villa sound like a good system you got there. I cannot do that but I do have coloured pill boxes to aid me in keeping in line

Thanks for telling me about the .us site Paul, I had not notice that one.

AJ?

Woody

Comment

Yes, thanks for this site suggestion. I'll look into it as soon as I can. As for the colour of pills, I just have the one greenish one that I pop onto my tongue to melt it - I don't even have to swallow one for my mental stability! And I hate the colour green because I work at Zehrs, part of the Loblaws Company. Their colours are orange and green. YUCK!!!! My uniform is a green vest over a white blouse and black pants. So, I'm not so hot on black and white, either! But what you guys dont take, on top of the the mental meds (and you SHOULD be checking with your FD (family doctor) on this!) is the calcium and the osteoporosis medication. It's tougher, I think, being female with a chemical imbalance than it is male (and sorry to all those tender egos I'm bruising by this well-informed opinion....) because, like AEV said some time back in another thread, the time when the menstrual stuff wants to happen is the worst. I'm not trying to "one-up" anyone - just saying that I find it's a double whammy that you guys can only try to understand. Will someone explain this to my 'significant other?' Any takers? Buehler? Paul?......... sigh
                        Last edited by Guest; June 14, 2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Hello Linda. Hormonal imbalance, perhaps not, but way too many hormones when were young and too few hormones when we are older can have an effect on a guys mental states and behaviours as well.

Andropause, can bring on inadequate production of certain male hormones which can lead to depression, weight gain and assorted other ills like osteoprosis. This can start as young as age 35.

I think that some women have it really tough every mth during their cycles and it is probably also very tough to get advice and seek proper treatment. However the good old family doc is no more understanding about some male ills either and some male ills are very under publized. In Ontario, routine mamograms are covered by provincial insurance. PSA tests the gold standard for checking for prostate cancer on men, we have to pay for ourselves.

Overall I would say that things are about equal.(other than the fact men die younger)

We just don't have a brass band leading the complaint section the way a certain segment of our population does. . Take Care. paul m
                          Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                          X