here's an article I found online...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here's an article I found online...

it actually makes sense... I didn't know you don't have to be sad to be depressed!

It is particularly important to identify depression without sadness (anhedonia) because recent research indicates that it may be anhedonia rather than sadness that correlates with poor physical health.
    Anne.

Hi Anne,

That is really interesting that you said that, Anne because I never thought that you had to be sad to be depressed! That is good that you posted this, Anne because I didn't realize that it was a commonly held belief that you need to be sad to be depressed.

Yes, I can really relate to this article. I always have zero interest in life and zero motivation when I am depressed and that is probably my hallmark symptom and I still feel like I always sort of have it lingering in the back of my mind even when I'm not too depressed anymore. I have had times when I've been depressed where I have just been so sad for no reason--like someone has died and I am grieving except that no one has died and I'm grieving for no reason. But most of the time I don't feel sad, I just feel numb, bored, empty and nothing gives me pleasure. Sometimes when I'm depressed, I'd embrace some sadness to fill the empty inside my head.

astronaut

Comment

Thanks for the article Anne. I really like how it explains depression. Especially the part where *depression* the psychiatric illness differs from *depression* the Engish word in its meaning. I always think that we should have some other term for the illness. Not sure what the term might be, though.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

How 'bout "DPOH"? (Devil's Pit of Hell)

Comment

Hello Anne. Thx for posting the link to the article. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

Yeap... numb is a very good definition for depressed.
            Bibiane

Comment

Interesting. I haven’t given much thought to the difference of being sad and feeling uninterested in things. I think I will keep track of these symptoms separately from now on.

I found this particularly note worthy:

“Why is not clear, but it may be that people who have lost interest in life just don't care enough or have the inner energy to do what is necessary to cope with or overcome chronic illness -- exercise, diet, taking medication, and so forth.”

I think this is an issue that a lot of people (non-depressed people) just don’t get.

Kaight

Comment

Really, Kaight!!?? Wow, for me my disinterest is SO strong that I always knew that it existed outside of my sadness. In fact, when my episodes of depression drop from "severe" to "moderate" or "mild," I still always seem to have the disinterest factor which makes it feel as though the depression will never lift completely. In fact, just within the past few months I've started to be interested in things again and I feel like I've woken up from a very long dream. I don't think I have been genuinely interested in things on a daily basis for around five years and I feel like a completely different person. I used to get through my life by doing what I "had" to do or what I knew I "should" do. I never did anything because I really wanted to but because I thought that I should want to. It is much easier to feel happier now when I am interested in things again. When I was disinterested, I just wasn't happy.

I don't know how to make yourself interested in things again. For me it just happened after a VERY long time of thinking that I would never really be interested in things again. In some ways, I feel like I've lived the past several years of my life in a very fake sort of way because I have not been able to emotionally or psychologically care about anything, only in an intellectual way have I been able to appreciate things in life because I know from using my reasoning capabilities, that I should appreciate things.

And it is easier to think about things in general when you have interests. Before I just didn't think about much because I wasn't interested in thinking and then it would be easier to get stuck on negative thoughts. Now that I have some of my interest back, I am beginning to think about things outside of my tiny, little world. I hope this doesn't go away soon!

astronaut

Comment

Astro - that's really great news that you are interested in life again! That’s a huge deal!! I think I’m a bit like you in that it’s been so long since I’ve had a zest for life I have kinda forgotten what it’s like. I often even wonder if the memory of having interest in things is a false memory… maybe just some dream I had.

But if you’ve found it, so can I! Thanks for renewing my hope!

Kaight

Comment

That interest is all coming back slowly but surely. I was golfing one night. Done a bit of fishing. Now I have a keen interest in some projects around the house. It is possible to get it back and when you do it sure is precious. I am even starting to truly enjoy meals again. Keep at it folks.

Comment

Getting interest back is one of the nicest and most hopeful signs! Only when I start to get some back, do I realize I've lost so much of it.

Keep at it folks.
                      Thanks Ted! I'm glad you are finding interest in a few things these days - that's really good news.

I am beginning to think about things outside of my tiny, little world. I hope this doesn't go away soon!
                      I hope it stays and stays, Astronaut.

But if you’ve found it, so can I! Thanks for renewing my hope!
                      Thanks for saying that, Kaight. Hope is essential. It makes a huge difference - it's that light we know is there but can't always see.

I'm so grateful for everything I get from everyone here on the forum. The above quotes are a mere drop in the bucket. It's nice to get a different spin on things rather than running around in the squirrel cage
                      Last edited by uni; September 3, 2012, 07:18 PM. Reason: gone squirrely
                      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Working...
                      X