Grateful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grateful

Well, I need to let out a bit of frustration right now. I just came home from the second session of an 11-week anxiety/depression education group. Due to the lack of any ongoing support groups where I live, I am in this one even though I took it a few years ago. It runs from 9:30 - 11:30 a.m. which gives me incentive to get out of bed at a (for me) relatively early time.

The frustration is this: the psychologist (PhD) and therapist (MSW) who run it seem most out of touch with why the heck they are there. I am disappointed, although don't ask me why, because I should know better than to get my hopes up and expect anything better. How do these people get hired for these jobs?

I'll continue attending because with winter coming I need something and, after all, it gets me somewhere among people, and I like them so far, but !%$# I feel angry at incompetent "professionals". I could go on about how today's meeting deteriorated into major upsets, people leaving, etc., but do realize it's only the second session and hopefully will get better.

Now I have to leave for work, which is probably a good thing, because otherwise I would probably carry on complaining about this for longer than is wise.

On yeah - the reason I'm grateful: for you guys!
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Uni I feel your frustration, believe me!

After waiting for 3 months I finally get into an outpatient mental health program. Today I go for my assessment to see what group would be best for me. The therapist is an RN. More than once during our session she said "Geez you know more about services out there than I do. You could teach me something." Well that's flattering, but I want someone who is competent in their job and the resources that are available. I could go on and on too, but I'll stop for now.

Thanks for listening / reading. I'm grateful for this group as well.

Comment

Thank you, Edmbigrl, for helping to validate my feelings. And in return, I hear you! You're right, it is flattering to hear that you could teach the nurse a thing or two, and also sad that you should have to. I hope things turn out in a positive way for you.

Many years ago I had the opportunity to assist with a depression group run by a dynamo of a therapist (MSW). (Turns out he was bipolar.) But my point is that I was allowed to help. The fellow retired and that was the end of that. So now I can't help but wonder whether other mentally ill people are ever allowed to help with a support / educational group. I know that in my short experience it was a win / win / win situation: for the therapist, the group members, and myself. Does anyone know whether this type of thing happens at all? Maybe there are untapped possibilities; you never know.
      uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

How do these people get hired for these jobs?
        They probably got volunteered

Could it be that because you already know the coarse material, it is leaving you with these feeling of incompetence?

More than once during our session she said "Geez you know more about services out there than I do.

There are organization out there like CMHA that try and maintain a database of programs and services available. And for most part, they do great work. One thing though that I am starting to notice is that there is this underground network of information sharing that is going on and it is just word of mouth or that you are at the right place and the right time and hear about something that will be happening.

Uni, what is MSW?
        Woody

Comment

MSW = Masters of Social Work?

I agree it is hard to find good help. It is hard to spill your guts to someone who has no clue!
          Good friends are like stars, you don't always see them but you know they are always there.
          BPII, DiValproex, Cipralex, Xanax

Comment

Froggie, maybe things will improve as they get more exposure
            Woody

Comment

Some support groups are run by all volunteers (ours is). Perhaps you could ck with your provincial mood disorder assoc. to see if they know of any all volunteer groups in your area.

As Woody has mentioned CMHC has a large contingent of volunteers. In our area there is a volunteer fair at the mall every year and different organizations have what volunteer opportunities are available as well. Take Care. paul m
              "Alone we can do so little;
              Together we can do so much"
              Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
              X