ECT, my regrets and my long term negative impacts from ECT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECT, my regrets and my long term negative impacts from ECT

I received ECT (Electric Convulsive Therapy) due to treatment- resistant depression. Now, I have serious memory loss and my brain function is limited. More specifically, my brain is foggy, dazed, confused, unclear, INJURED beyond repair☹ my life has been ruined by ECT and I'm not the same person I once was- I was hopeful, positive of recovery from depression and determined to live again—All that changed after ECT treatments and I am more stuck than ever. I can’t remember past relationships, romantic partners, I can’t remember my childhood with clarity, I can’t remember my career, I can’t remember friends/acquaintances from the past, I can’t remember who I was before this, I can’t even remember how I obtained the possessions of my home- when, how, where, nothing…Do you know how that must feel! To make it worse- my doctor and therapist tell me I can’t remember stuff because I am depressed—They are beyond inaccurate- I have struggled with depression for years but functioned while on medication. I have NEVER LOST my memory, never been unable to recall, to remember, to retain, to absorb anything dependent on brain functioning. They lie, make excuses, tell me it’s ME and my Depression when really it’s them who insisted on this treatment, withheld the true consequences and continue to deny even a shed of responsibility for authorizing this treatment, knowing research is limited on positive outcomes and antidotal evidence is strong and dominant of it’s negative consequences. Some may say it is not their fault BUT… It is the fault of the medicalized community that continues to encourage, support, advocate for this form of treatment despite the irreversible longterm affects- ones are that life-altering and damaging to anyone! This post is not meant to BASH the psychiatric medical model and/or it’s forms of treatment however, it is a CAUTIONARY tale for those considering ECT, stuck in their depression like ME. Unless you are ready to say GOODBYE to the life you once lived and whole memories of your life- Things that make up your existence in the world—IF you are ready to leave all those behind because the medical community tells you it will cure you- OKAY…. But also, It didn’t CURE me- I am worse than ever—More depressed but now depressed and unable to remember the moments that dictated this depression, the moments I was free of it, the ways I coped with it…EVERYTHING… I write this because no one should go through what I’ve been through.. you deserve your memories because they are WHO YOU ARE--- There are other medications, ECT is not the answer… .I’d love to hear from others—
    Last edited by Surviving2015; February 7, 2015, 12:42 PM.

Welcome to the forum Surviving2015. I'm sorry to hear that ECT was such a negative experience for you. It sounds like you've had a truly awful experience with it.

I have removed your email address from your post for security reasons (spam etc.). People can respond to your post or private message you. You can check your profile and make sure you have private messaging turned on. If you need help with it, let me know.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Thank you and my apology I wasn't sure I should have used my email address.

Comment

No problem Surviving2015.
        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
        for not being what they believe they should be.
        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Very sorry to hear about your experience Surviving. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

I'm wondering if, like a lousy surgeon, the doctor administering the ECT matters. You know like his skills and knowledge.

Or if it's just that the procedure "takes" in some cases, and not others.

Comment

Working...
            X