Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olanzapine and Lorazepam????

Hi folks,
    Can I be on lorazepam and Olanzapine together?
    From what I am reading on the Internet, the two may not be suitable.
    Any thoughts?
    George

They both can have an additive effect on drowsiness, caution driving or other situations where being alert is necessary is warranted. Are you taking the Olanzapine regularly? Is it helping? Lorazepam works more quickly than Olanzapine. In a situation such as anxiety it would be helpful. There is a recommendation in the literature not to use the injectable form of the two together due to excessive sedation and suppression of heart and breathing functions, but for use by mouth, it is a caution.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi. "Is it helping"? Well I don't really know. You see, I told the Psychiatrist that the lorazepam was not sedating me enough through the night. I was hoping for a strong sleeping pill. Why he gave me Olanzapine I don't know. I'm not sure if I was to take the Olanzapine regularly or only on nights I want a sound sleep. I suffer from anxiety and stress. I've gone back to taking the Olanzapine regularly now. I had stopped it because it didn't make me tired or drowsy anymore. Last night I took one and about 90 minutes later I felt the effects. What is Olanzapine supposed to do if taken regularly? I am aware of it being an anti psychotic but why wouldn't he just give me a strong sleeping pill instead,
      And if I could ask another question? Can Lorazepam be prescribed in stronger doses? Mine are I think 5mg's.
      Thanks for listening to my questions!!
      Geo
      Last edited by George; April 24, 2015, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Hello George. The two are often prescribed together, but a lot depends on dosage, your individual metabolism, other factors such as whether you drink alcohol and even whether you smoke or not. If you are a smoker,the amount of olanzapine in your system can vary each day depending on how much you smoke that day. The pharmacist is the best person to ask about the dangers involved, but just about any two sedation style medications have to be eased into till you know the effect that they will have on you.

Doesn't mean they can't be taken together, just professional advice and caution should be used. Take Care. paul m

P.S. to smokers, olanzapine is reduced in your blood stream the more you smoke, so quitting suddenly or even reducing for a day or two can really make the amount of olanzapine soar in your blood.
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

But why an antipsychotic drug? Why not a strong sleeping pill?
          George.
          Last edited by George; April 25, 2015, 08:05 AM.

Comment

I would suspect that your doctor has chosen an anti psychotic over a sleeping pill because sleeping pills are meant for short term use only. Occasional use is ok but if taken regularly you will have difficulty falling asleep without them. Also tolerance often occurs and they don't work anymore.

Your doctor may increase the dose of Olanzapine or switch you to another anti psychotic such as Quetiapine. I would discuss it with your doctor and pharmacist.
            AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Oh I see. Thanks!

Comment

So should I stay on it regularly?

Comment

Is it helping when you take it regularly?
                  AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Haven't been on it long enough to know. I don't really know what it is supposed to help? All I wanted was a sleep med so I could sleep through the night without racing thoughts. It works to a certain degree I guess.
                    I just wasn't sure I should be taking it all the time or only when I felt restless in the evening.
                    Follow me?

Comment

olanzapine used to knock me right out. after taking it i would sleep all night and most of the next day. i stopped after a few days. i take seroquel, immediate release, every night at bedtime. helps me sleep and prevents (most often) psychosis. at one time i was taking 900mg daily. when i started college pdoc n i started reducing it to help with memory and cognition but when the dose got too low my anxiety and ocd became unmanageable.

now i take 100-200 mg immediate release at bed and 50 mg XR in the AM. when my anxiety or ocd are too much or if my mind starts racing then i can take one 1-2 of the 25 mg PRN immediate release seroquel to slow my mind down during the day but still function with relative competence. at night i can take another 100mg for sleep or psychosis if i need

because of dependency concerns i can't take any PAMs. i think it would be ok, personally as alcohol is the only substance i ever had issue with. but pdoc isn't down so i don't mess.

i always joke with Sheri that i am sure the bipolar cure will be available any time now. i wish that was the deal but i know it is not..so we will just keep trying and learning new tools

Paul/AJ/Uni....i just started a second Peer Support job in Halton with a new Mental Health program. so now with both jobs i work near f/t hours..which is big..since when i first started reading posts here i spent more time in bed than out of bed and often slept for days..no ADLs..no hope....that was real bad times

i am still cycling rapidly but a bit less. i was ok friday. slept in till after 1pm saturday but woke up with ideation and some intent..not good..but Sheri helped pull me out of it by supper time and i was asymptomatic. i can't sleep now but don't see any manic symptoms as yet so maybe i will induce some seroquel sleep soon and hopefully have a good day when i wake

any good recommendations on how to quit smoking again is greatly appreciated
                      dave
                      dave

Comment

Good for you Dave with regards to the support group. You sound like busy guy!

I'm glad you pulled through the ideation. Perhaps you need some med adjustments if you're still rapid cycling.

The pharmacist is the best person to talk to about how to quit smoking. Some have advanced training in this area. Others who have succeeded can chime in. I quit cold turkey years ago after a few failed attempts. It was hard. I reduced the number of cigarettes I was smoking until I wasn't smoking anymore, but it did take great discipline.

What is a PAM?
                        AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

thanks AJ

PAMs = anxiety meds...lorazepam..clonazepam..diazepam...etc
                          dave

Comment

And the P? (For those who don't know).
                            AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hi Dave. When I had to quit smoking I signed on to the forum shown below as a backup. I also got a hold of Allen Carr's book Easy Way to Stop Smoking which helped give me the psychological edge I needed. It was a lot easier than I expected, even with the depression and anxiety being eased by the nicotine. To be honest I'm not sure I would have quit had it not been for the heart attack but regardless of that I always felt it was just a matter of time before I faced the harsh reality of a smoking related condition. I wish you well in this pursuit. Again I would highly recommend the book if you haven't read it already. It is an excellent beginning to an end.

Comment

Working...
                              X