New Doctor, what to take/talk about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Doctor, what to take/talk about?

Hi. My psychiatrist, who has cared for me for over ten years, informed me yesterday that she would no longer be in charge of my care. The health region is shifting psychiatrists around to improve care and wait times. So she made an appointment with me to see another psychiatrist.

The new psychiatrist is a general psychiatrist, but she works with two other psychiatrists, one who specializes in mood disorders. I'm not seeing the mood disorder psychiatrist because he is a he, and the family presentation of bipolar symptoms in the past make that an unwise move.

It's been so long...what do you think needs to be covered in this first appointment? I plan on taking in an up-to-date list of medications/supplements. But should I do up a mood chart for her? I've never done one before. I'm basically stable...except when something happens to stress me out... My previous psychiatrist said she was only going to send a summary over to the new psychiatrist, not my whole chart.

I'm in the same boat Prairierose. My Pdoc resigned because her son is very ill. It was very sudden and I never got to say goodbye or thank you. She had been my Pdoc since 2009. The new one they have me seeing doesn't do psychotherapy, so I'm not sure where that leaves me.

I had a first appointment last week. I decided to be cautious on my first appointment and just try to get a sense of her. She has my records from my previous Pdoc but apparently after a few years the older records get archived. I signed permission to get my records from hospital admissions etc. I told her that my previous doc and I were working towards reducing the dose of one med and stopping another. No go there. I got a wait and see response. Fair enough, she doesn't know me. It's a pain starting with someone new, especially when you know that they don't offer psychotherapy as well as medication management.

The new Pdoc will probably get you to sign for permission to get your records. She might spend the first appointment getting a history. (Mine didn't. I guess she wants to read the hospital admissions etc first). That's a great idea to take a list of medication and supplements.

Some people find mood charts helpful, and others don't. I could never muster up the effort required to do one and be consistent about doing it. Personally, I wouldn't do one just for her sake. How good a communicator are you? That could be a factor in deciding to do one or not.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

I'm in the same boat Prairierose. My Pdoc resigned because her son is very ill. It was very sudden and I never got to say goodbye or thank you. She had been my Pdoc since 2009. The new one they have me seeing doesn't do psychotherapy, so I'm not sure where that leaves me.

I had a first appointment last week. I decided to be cautious on my first appointment and just try to get a sense of her. She has my records from my previous Pdoc but apparently after a few years the older records get archived. I signed permission to get my records from hospital admissions etc. I told her that my previous doc and I were working towards reducing the dose of one med and stopping another. No go there. I got a wait and see response. Fair enough, she doesn't know me. It's a pain starting with someone new, especially when you know that they don't offer psychotherapy as well as medication management.

The new Pdoc will probably get you to sign for permission to get your records. She might spend the first appointment getting a history. (Mine didn't. I guess she wants to read the hospital admissions etc first). That's a great idea to take a list of medication and supplements.

Some people find mood charts helpful, and others don't. I could never muster up the effort required to do one and be consistent about doing it. Personally, I wouldn't do one just for her sake. How good a communicator are you? That could be a factor in deciding to do one or not.
      AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

My husband comes with me to all my psych appointments, so he makes sure that what needs to get communicated does! I think it will be okay. If she wants my whole chart it could be interesting. It's quite thick. I've had no hospitalizations for mental health issues though. We handled those outside the hospital for the most part.

Comment

It's great that your husband is supportive and goes with you to appointments. Keep us posted on your appointment.
          AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello prairierose. I pretty much agree with what AJ has said. A mood chart is usually only useful if you keep it up to date on a daily basis and I can't seem to do that either.

I find that when I go to see a new doc they often, but not always, want a lot of history. So I try and brush up on things. Approx when I was diagnosed, in what order etc (depression first , then anxiety and depression , and then the bipolar and then the actual correct diagnosis of bipolar 1 , with anxieties and some PTSD.). They may also ask about family history of mental illness and what your current symptoms are.

I'm always careful when I describe my current symptoms and throw in statements like. I'm having a bit of trouble sleeping, but if I don't take my lithium I tend to go manic and don't sleep at all etc. Or yes I still have mood swings, but I manage them well now because I take these meds and I exercise, watch what I eat etc etc. When I first had experiences with changing doctors they would ask if I still had mood swings and I would say no, because I didn't have them like I used to have them. Turns out no is the wrong answer because I still have mood swings but they are very minor compared to what I used to have.

I also try and remember at least what major meds I have taken and for what reason I don't take them any more. Some times a different doc has a "favourite formula" that they would like you to try, I've gotten pretty good at saying no and why I said no.

You are correct to go as prepared as possible, because if you are like me, when the doctor starts to shoot a pile of questions at you it's hard to remember everything on the spur of the moment, especially when I'm nervous. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
            X