side effects of long term use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

side effects of long term use

This is my first message as I am still finding my way around the site and not sure if I am replying in the right discussion .
    I am 56 years old have been diagniosd bipolar few times over 30 years as well PTSD . I have genrally have refused medication
    for treatment choosing alternative thearapy . Six years ago , I was hospitalized for anxiety ,panic attacks and manic depressive
    disorder. I was not allowed to refuse medication this time
    I was put on Haloperidol , Fluoxetine , Lithium , one other, can not remember, was replaced with Benztropine
    The first two years went fine with mild side effects , then next two years not realalising an increase symptoms passing them off
    to other like the flu and genrael health as I did not have a fact sheets on these meds I was taking . My GP did not have the list of meds from my Psychiatrist and forgot to give or mention about them . I have not mention much on what new symptoms to my
    Psyc and he never ask spascivic questions of symptoms because most of the time , at appointments I would feel somewhat alright
    that day and would be in and out of the office within ten minutes with refill prescription in hand without any changes .
    The fifth year started with more symptoms effecting me more and indicated my concerns and received little response from Psyc
    and continued with same meds and dosages
    The sixth year it was very obevouis I was getting worse to the point I could not function at work . I would have sever migrains every other day , constant vomiting and weight lose , sever depression with no emotion .
    I was lay off , on E I ,unable physicaly look for work in six months I still continued to get worse , I complained to my DRP every month than every two week appointments four times in a row ,
    I had no response to my complaints other than to continue more frequent visits and keep same refill prescriptions .
    At that last visit I could not pay for the meds and being very fruastrated with the condition I was in
    I had no other option but to abruptly discontinue the meds and appointments .
    Four months now off meds feeling much better still have some minor withdrawl effects and a new high developed of insomnia
    Went back to DRP for that alone and was prescribed Quetiapine Fumarate 25 mg I end up have sever reaction of fast irregular
    heart beat and anxiety that lasted for four hours ,almost gone to hospital . Have taken three days to get over it .
    At that time he said would like to start over with same meds in few months.
    I am not sure what anyone can say about my experience , but looking to hear from some others Thank you
    Last edited by pdqphil; March 3, 2016, 06:08 AM.

Welcome to the forums pdqphil. I moved your post within treatment to start it as a new thread. That way it won't get lost in another thread.

Feel free to post as little or as much about yourself as you're comfortable with. You'll find this to be a very supportive group of people.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello pdqphil and welcome. Sounds like you have had a tough go of it while trying very hard to get better. The following is a suggestion and not a criticism as I've done like you have done many times.

So through painful trail and error I realized that the doc's were not going to share info, so I had better do it. I know take to each new doctor/dentist etc that I see a complete list of all of my medications. Before I take any new medications I find out for myself what the side effects are going to be and how long they will last for. These days I use the internet a lot, but in the old days I used to spend a lot of time talking with my pharmacist.

In regards to you psych doctor not listening to you, can you ask your regular doctor and see if the is another psychiatric doctor who might see you. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Thank you Paul , yes I started to search the internet few days after the withdrauls were almost gone and feeling better, more
        clear headed . I had googled up what I could remember what meds that I was on and got a bit overwhelmed with all the results
        that show up . I happened to be in the pharmacy , asked for list of my meds for I had threw out when house cleaning after
        a year of neglect . I was surprised to be given a fact sheet for each , that I was never given before . Didn't get to talk for they were busy at the time. I don't remember ever had a detail explanation in the hospital or after first refill from the pharmacy . Having very little effect at start , I never looked any further. I now had a starting point to go from and found this site by accident .
        Bits and pieces started to make sense more I read . Especially here to the topics that I can relate too what I have been
        experiencing .

Under Treatment pg 3 Thread - Want Help To Get Better - I found very interesting , I checked website link
        Mental Health M. A. P. ( My Action Plan ) Is something I would like to start understanding more and keep track of different
        experiences I am going threw . But is there another site I might be able to use , because my speakers don't work
        on my laptop for the video coach parts .

Under Treatment pg 2 Thread - Psychiatrist - What To Expect - I think it might help me allot with relationships with my doc,s
        to understand them . I put my Psy as in charge of treatment and meds and most other conditions . I am going to put
        my GP at the top of the loop as I have good relation still . I haven't been keeping up with regular check ups , usually he
        has called me why I haven't been in to see him for yearly .

Comment

Hello I read a reply in sandbox introducing a little about me on other websites posting links to mood trackers
          I will be checking into them , thanks
          Last edited by pdqphil; March 3, 2016, 11:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
          X