Depressed woman loses benefits over Facebook photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depressed woman loses benefits over Facebook photos

The CBC has an article about a women who lost her benefits because of what she had posted on your Facebook account.

Years back I remember hearing about the Workers Compensation Board hiring detectives to follow clients to make sure that they where not working and claiming benefits at the same time. I think it was on The Fifth Estate.

Unfortunately, I think this pushes the boundaries little too fare. If someone take my picture on Young street and Gawd forbid I am smiling or laugh at some idiot, does this mean I am no longer considered ill?

You can read the complete article here
    Woody

This makes me sick!! Who gave Manulife the qualifications to say whether or not she was really disabled? It is up to the professionals (Pdocs) to tell Manulife what her condition is, and if they disagree, aren't they supposed to use their own Drs? Seriously! Using FB pics is NOT the same as a medical diagnoses, and should never be used as one. For all anyone knows, the trip was prescribed ("take some time in the sun... it is therapeutic and helpful for some, it may work for you"). If she has been disabled for a year and a half, the trip may have been an act of desperation, and used as a last resort. Besides, what do we pay these premiums for, anyways? I'm so lucky to be covered by Sunlife, who seems to be far less sleazy than Manulife...

I hope she gets justice!
    Be well

Anis'ia

"It is no measure of good health to live in a sick society" ~ Krishnamurti

Comment

My experience with Manulife was a good one. I provided them with documents as requested, often before requested (thru HR). I called the case worker after every P.doc appointment to give her an update on where things were, reminding her of my ultimate goal to get better, and get back to work. I didn't have to call with these updates, but I figured as long as they knew I was doing whatever I could to get better, my disability coverage would continue. I never had a problem with them. Unfortunately mental illness has the added challenge of often being invisible. It shouldn't matter that we sit in the back yard or on a beach to aid in our recovery, but it does. Needless to say, I chose to sit in the backyard. Why risk the chance of things being misinterpreted. The battle that would result in order to maintain benefits, not worth it when you have so little energy to expend. Sometimes being 'right' isn't worth the conflict.

Face book. Let's just say that as long as it's out there, privacy settings and all, it's accessible to anyone who really wants to read it. Anytime you hit send while connected on line, is the end of any guarantee of privacy.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Woody. I'm glad that you printed that as it opens up discusion.

I'm surprised that CBC ran the article without seeing any proof. Anytime I have been cut off of disability (1X each blue cross and CPPD) I always got a written notice as to exactly why I was being denied benefits. The woman should have been able to give that letter to CBC.

Perhaps the woman was unjustly accused but I would have picked a different picture to use. That one probably guarenteed at least 50% of the readers would notice and reeks of a publicity stunt.

As I said, I really don't know if she should have been cut off, but neither she, her lawyer nor CBC offered one piece of hard evidence. I mean, if myself , my lawyer and CBC all say that Woody think's I'm a great guy, it doesn't make it so. (even if Woody sez it, it doesn't make it so )

I hope that for her sake, if she is disabled, that she gets her payments back. However if she is just faking I hope she doesn't do so well as fakers hurt us all. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Wow. What a controversial story. I'd like to weigh in with my two cents.

Nobody knows exactly what state of mind a depressed person is in except the person him/her self. Others can use their knowledge to make educated guesses, but depression is a highly subjective diagnosis. Having been misinterpreted, misunderstood, and mislabeled, I speak from experience.

The situation of the woman in the story appears to have become a legal issue and will no doubt become more complicated. I hope that the truth, whatever it might be, comes out, and closes some loopholes with regard to privacy on the internet. In the meantime, what I take from this story is: internet, and especially Facebook users beware. (note to self...)

On a personal and admittedly biased note, having dealt with both Manulife and Sun Life regarding disability benefits, I wouldn't trust either one of them as far as I could throw them. They are nameless, faceless corporations who are in business to make money, just like any other business. I did get some benefits, but nearly lost what little sanity and strength of spirit I had (not to mention my job) thanks to their pressure tactics. As I said, I'm biased, and shall remain very, very cautious in dealing with anybody using the words "disability insurance" from now on.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Companies are in it make money and if they can weasel themselves out of paying, they will!

Darn Paul ... if you had asked me a couple days ago, I was god and I could have made it so

Normally there are contracts that stipulate how sick you have to be before benefits kick in. Weasel that they maybe, will stick in wording like 'completely disabled'. This is there linchpin! If I can walk around the block could be interpreted as not being completely disabled.

Your down and out, and all of a sudden you get this thrown in your face and unless you have someone in your corner to advocate for you, you end up getting steam rolled.

When I went onto STD, because of excuses and delays, I was going to be eligible for LTD the next month before my claim was approved. I was lucky, I had someone that I was able to ask to intervene on my behalf, otherwise who knows.

Hopefully this article will shame the insurance company and save this person the pains and suffering of having to go to court for her rights.
            Woody

Comment

I know it is perfectly possible to be on a beach and be depressed.

When I was no longer able to work, I was living on savings until my LTD was approved and once it was I got a big retro cheque so off I went with my stepsister and son to Cancun. I tried to not be a wet blanket so as to not spoil it for the others but I was definitely functioning sub par. I wish sometimes I could get a do over for that trip.

I'm with Sunlife and they were on my case early on but these days not so much. My doctor really went to bat for me. When you deal with an insurance company you really have to have your doctor in your corner.

Comment

They left me alone for a couple of years with simply asking me if there had been any progress, then they started waiving around 'completely disabled' clause. I was no where near ready to go back to work so I applied for my CPP just in cause they decided to cancel my claim. I got a HUGE check from CPP but I had to repay it back to the insurance company. SUX!¡! Now I get a CPP check and a top up from the insurance company. We are back at just asking for updates to see if things have improved.
                Woody

Comment

Woody, no doubt that sux! Why did you have to pay the insurance company back when they obviously thought you were entitled to benefits, seeing they had been paying you?
                  uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni, I'm not really Woody, but a lot of insurance companies have a clause that if they were to pay you $2000 and CPP $800 then they only have to pay you $1200. Take Care. paul m

Woody, when I was first off work, the company basically tricked me into a buyout and quitting, so I lost out on LTDs, but that's history and far enough in the past that I cannot pusue. (the docs having the wrong diagnosis didn't help)

Back then CPP gave people with depression a rough time. It took me about 33 mths to get my CPP through all of the appeals and approved. Then it took them another 4 mths to calculate the back pay and interest(nice of them to rush). The moral of this storey is. Never give a really broke person with undiagnosed bipolar $27,000+ in one ck. Took care of my bipolar depression for a short time. Take Care. paul m
                    Helen Keller

Comment

Very well explained Paul ... thanks

In 98, I was laid off. The official reason was because of market downturn in the mining industry but yeah, similar situation. I was payed to go away quietly. Had I known what I know today, I and I do, I did not fall for that trap again. I do not even want to try and calculate what it cost me, as it would only make me even more angry.
                      Woody

Comment

Hello Woody. What tics me off is that nobody, but nobody, suggested I go see a lawyer or whatever, not a doc, not a social worker. Nor can you sue a doctor for this type of wrong diagnosis in this country(I inquired) well you can sue, you would never win.

I don't keep track of how much money I have lost either as I am past the bitter stage ($320,000+ and counting) . I would have to be less than human to not wonder what my life would of been like if I had not spent so long living in poverty and not being able to get anything but the most basic of help.

I do realize that with more money, I may have ended up in more trouble as I went through some wild stages when manic during those years. Or it could have all gone to support as my wife may have left permanently if she could have afforded to get a decent place for the kids to stay. I happy now and that's what counts. There are a couple of docs who will never make my Christmas card list . Take Care. paul m
                        Helen Keller

Comment

I hear you Paul!
                          Woody

Comment

It is interesting how this facebook story seems to have stirred up a lot of emotion about the time when we became unable to work. If this facebook chick is a faker, it's people like her that made it difficult for us.

I'm sorry Woody and Paul about what happened to you guys. At the time I left work, I was very ill. Doing better now makes it much easier to think about that difficult time - becoming unable to work, feeling like I wanted to end it all, and yes the money.

Being here today, feeling well, makes it a lot easier to put the past behind me. Sounds like you two have done that as well so it's "all good", as my son would say.

Comment

Hello Leila63. Thx for your comments. How be I say it's all GREAT, except for the bad parts. I will admit there are many fewer bad parts these days. Take care. paul m
                              Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                              X