What happens when sevices collaspe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens when sevices collaspe.

Hello Everyone. The link I will post is to a Toronto Star storey about suicide in Ontario's North. It is a tough storey to believe and a tougher one to read.

I have lived not quit that far north, but north and I have visited Moosonee. I understand the problems. However my main reason for posting the link is to demonstrate what can happen when the Gov't starts to run out of money and starts to cut services. It could happen here.

Not many people live in this area. In Moosonee and Moose factory there is about 4000 people and I am unsure how many in more remote reserves.

I understand that discussions involving suicide upsets some people, so it might be best to use your own judgement whether or not to read this article. If nothing else this story slams home some very unpleasant facts about mental health or lack thereof. Take Care. paul m http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...attention?bn=1
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

its been going on since.... 1900 or so.
    All because of us. (Whites)

I think it's a disgrace.
    the story is believable. Completely.

It's not just Moonsonee and Moose Factory, it's also other places. That's whats important.
    This is not the first nor last article.

this is a mood forum and i don't think i can discuss two crucial subjects at once

take care
    Last edited by lyxia; December 20, 2009, 12:15 AM. Reason: two bits to add

Comment

I agree with Lyxia. It is a long term and complex problem that neither we nor the government has an appreciation for. Even if we did appreciate the problem I doubt there would be little we could do about it. Truly a saddening thing....Danming
      To the world you may be one person...but to one person you are the world.

Comment

Paul, thanks for the heads up that it might be a sensitive subject to read about.

I think this is an important subject but confused on some levels as to if this is a provincial mater or a federal mater. I am however sure that both the federal and provincial will be, if not already pointing the figure to the other.

I would however be careful to point figures at different ethnicity. My understanding is that it is not one that affects just one community and that it is more of a common denominator of the remoteness of these places has more to do with the problem than anything.

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with how much money you spend, but more with when you spend it. A stitch in time saves nine. And that is the real sad truth.
        Woody

Comment

Originally posted by Woody View Post
          Paul, thanks for the heads up that it might be a sensitive subject to read about.

I think this is an important subject but confused on some levels as to if this is a provincial mater or a federal mater. I am however sure that both the federal and provincial will be, if not already pointing the figure to the other.

I would however be careful to point figures at different ethnicity. My understanding is that it is not one that affects just one community and that it is more of a common denominator of the remoteness of these places has more to do with the problem than anything.

In my opinion, it has nothing to do with how much money you spend, but more with when you spend it. A stitch in time saves nine. And that is the real sad truth.
          About the remotness... most of these people have been moved there after the relocations took and are taking place... They lived somewhere else and they were moved someplace else so that the problem isn't seen......

Comment

Hello Everyone. First this storey is not about natives. Second the natives where in this area long before the whites. Moose Factory is the oldest town in Ontario, formed in 1673 . The white man came to the area to trade with people's already there.

The town of Moosonee is a predominately white town(pop 2000) and has a suicide problem as well. Across the river is the town of Moose Factory,pop is 2400, primaraly Cree, some on the reserve some not.

Natives and the whites share a higher than normal suicide rate. Further north it is even worse. (some but not all, of those reseves were located).

Woody you are correct, it is difficult to decide how to spend precious resouces. That was my point when I posted. When we do not spend the money correctly we will run into nightmarish problems.

We can blame policy, remoteness what ever we like, but when one's childs dies, it's time to cut through the b.s. of blame.

The article is about a sudden zoom in suicide. I do not have all the answers, but I do know that it will happen here if large scale cuts are instituted or they continue with a shortage of qualified personel. Take Care. paul m
            "Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
            X