This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factors that effect drug treatment outcome

Our uniqueness means that there are many factors that come in to play in how we respond to drugs. Factors listed below are not applicable to all drugs. Some of them are:

Underlying Physical and mental illness

Underlying medical conditions that effect how drugs are processed in the body (such as kidney or liver disease, ingestion thru GI tube)

Drugs currently taking (including over the counter, illicit)

Drug therapy history

Smoking, Caffeine (Can affect how some drugs a processed by the body)

Belief system

Compliance (This is probably the single most important factor in the success or failure of drug treatment)
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Ok some of these I was expecting
    Belief system
    but not this one!
    Woody

Comment

Some would call it the placebo effect. Some would call it faith.

A belief system can also have a negative impact on compliance if someone believes for example that taking drugs is a sign of weakness.
      Last edited by AJ; May 22, 2010, 12:14 PM.
      AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Belief system hmmm. Believing in my doctor has kept me compliant many times. Of course there is a give and take about side effects and efficacy but I find I have to trust my pdoc completely for a really successful drug treatment.

Comment

Good points AJ. I'll through in my 2 cents worth on belief. I agree that it's important to believe in our plan of recovery. That's not to say that it has to be a blind belief. We have to aware of possible problems and to act on them as appropiate. Take Care. paul m
          "Alone we can do so little;
          Together we can do so much"
          Helen Keller

Comment

OK that I can live with
            Woody

Comment

Hello AJ. All I own is 2 cents . You want more, get my wife to give me a bigger allowance. But I do agree with all of your points. Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

Going for 3 cents... going... going...
                AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello AJ. The only way my wive will part with more money is if I'm included. Then she will even pay for the shipping. No returns . Take Care. paul m
                  Helen Keller

Comment

I moved the rest of the posts that were about moi (my continuing saga should be in one place to:

Last edited by AJ; January 5, 2010, 10:55 PM.
                    AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

tittletetletless

Compliance (This is probably the single most important factor in the success or failure of drug treatment)
                      I think accepting you're nuts is prior to the compliance. And then the compliance makes you understand the accepting and the accepting stops you from staring at your pills wondering... what???
                      And then when you land with a different episode you got to adapt FAST.
                      so ...

You got to know your stuff to, your meds and all because otherwise they keep feeding you coloured pills with names with 25 consents and 1 vowel...

That is unless your mentionning belief system is linked to acceptance
                      Last edited by Woody; August 8, 2010, 12:01 PM. Reason: Fix Quote

Comment

If I may,being the newbie that I am here.....,

Another big part of treatment is self-dissappline,knowing your limitations.Speaking for myself.
                        After 34 years of compliance and the agony of many many drug trys and fails.
                        These days its one day then another hoping to feel that kind of" good" that many take for granted.

Light a candle baby a get well card won't do!!!

Comment

Originally posted by halfanangel View Post

These days its one day then another hoping to feel that kind of" good" that many take for granted.

Agreed!

Here's hoping that we all find more of the 'good' in our days and lives.
                          Stormy

Comment

Originally posted by halfanangel View Post
                            This says perfectly what I want out of life...Feeling the good or the normal in life

I told my doctor and my loved ones I do not want or expect a "perfect" life, what I want is to be able to experience the ups and downs of life at a normal level, not the extreme ups and downs that I feel now, if that makes any sense.

It is perfectly normal to feel sad when something sad happens in your life, it is not normal to feel sadness when everything in your life is good...The sadness just sweeps over you for no reason and it can't be controlled, it only goes away when it goes away, there is no control over the emotion...I could be doing my favorite activities and the feeling is still there.

The reverse is true for me too, the high feeling is no better than the low feeling, each mood is just an escape from the other, but each one is horrible.
                            Last edited by Atlantis; September 10, 2010, 05:39 AM.
                            Take Care,
                            Karen

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying...
                            "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

That makes sense. The elation and depression are so frustrating when you can't find the happy medium.
                              I have been taken off my Seroquel and put on Abilify. What an amazing change!!! The extreme anger is gone, the doped up foggy feeling is gone and I can cook again!! YAYYY! (My family is so thankful for that one) I have even found a hobby that I find relaxing and is for me and its relatively inexpesnive to start. KNITTING!! I love it. I am working on a baby blanket. It helps keep my mind focused and because I can't multi-task with it yet, it keeps the junk out of my brain while I am busy with my hands. I also don't find myself snacking so the weight management is easier too.
                              Hope you find this encouraging!!

Comment

Working...
                              X