Support Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support Groups

Hello Everyone. I would just like to talk about support groups as a form of treatment.

Our support group in Midland is about 22 yrs old. We run it ourselves, we have no bank acct or membership list and we provide no refreshments etc at the meetings. We do not have a paid facilitator. Yet we continue to thrive and help each other.

The people come from all walks of life, some poor, some very rich. At our last meeting we had 7 people. 2 were relatively new, but the next most Junior has been coming on and off for about 12 yrs. A couple were there who had not been out for 2 yrs but upon running into a rough spot decided to come. It's always a real mixture of people. These people trust each other enough to seek their advice and that is great. I'm not talking medical advice, but advice that is sometimes hard to find. What to do about the manic spending, the t2201 income tax form and a 1000 other things. Plus help not to feel so all alone.

This group has helped me as much as any doc did to understand my illness and to help fight it. Docs tend to prescribe, these people tell you how they made it.

To me they are the cheapest and most under utilized resource in the country. Not all groups are equal, but if there is one in your area, try it out. This forum is pretty good, but for detailed answers it his its limitations just due to typing requirements. Plus of course you cannot go to Timmies afterwards from here . Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Paul, I couldn't agree more about the power of a good support group. With a compatible group of people there is nothing like it.

Am insanely (haha) jealous as there is nothing similar here anymore, despite the best efforts of a number of us. To be honest I have grown tired of trying.

How in the wide world of sports have you managed to have it carry on for that many years? Is it something in the coffee?
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

We have a mood disorders group here also. I have only been a member for about 5~6 years now, but it has a long history. We have this one senior member that would tell anyone that listened the how and where and what the group did to survive over the years. Even in just the short period of time that I have been there, it has been cyclical. Now days they are every week, but it was not always like that, for long time they were only once a month and as more people came it became twice a month and eventually to every week now.

There is an organization now in Ontario. A kind of umbrella organization and they will help anyone that wants to set up there own group. Uni, you could try contacting them here. Now they are in Ontario but they might be able to get you in contact with people in you province if not help you directly.
      Woody

Comment

Hello Uni. CMHA Sask. has 9 offices and I would imagine that some of those offices would have support groups. Phone 306 525-5601, toll free 1-800-461-5483 www.cmhask.com. I came accross another name but I do not know if it still exists. Depression and Manic depression support group of Regina. If they still exist they may know of others . 306-533-8388

The problems(outside of good facilitators) with most support groups is they look at the numbers too closely and say "well we've only had 3 people out for the last few meetings, we might as well meet in a coffee shop". One never knows who will come or when and as Woody sez it is cyclical. The second biggest problem is lack of free material to hand out. Fortunately our light ties with the MDAO provides us with free handouts. Our third problem is lack of public awareness and the refusal of many docs to send people to us(we aren't trained in their eyes). Advertising is really expense and even though we get a small free ad in the local paper sometimes it isn't big enough to overcome the stigma attached.

And as Woody hints at you have to keep the long timers from boring the new comers. Not to mention it's sometimes really hard to keep someone who is manic from totally dominating the meeting . Take Care. paul m
        Helen Keller

Comment

Just to add Edmonton information, you can dial 311 on the telephone and they will give you the dates and addresses of meetings.

I've never gone because I'm pretty shy but since I feel so buoyed by the exchanges on this forum, maybe it should be something I consider.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions and leads. There are a couple I may look into when I get my spiff/spunk back...

Remember the Mary Tyler Moore show?

The boss tells Mary: "You've got spunk."
            Mary: Thank you!
            Boss: I hate spunk.
            uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Leila63. It can be a bit unerving the first time you go. Especially if your shy. But it is worth it. Thx for the 311 number. In Ontario you can get the same results with 211 (toll free) or googling 211 on the computer. Take Care. paul m.

Hello Uni. I remember that. I'm older than I think Take Care. paul m
              Helen Keller

Comment

My first Pdoc was all no no no the first time I brought up the subject of a support group. And after I went, I told her I had and she was all for it and uppity up about it ~shrug~

Leila, at minimum, you might be asked to say your first name and diagnosis at the beginning of the meeting. And then you can decide as to how much you want to participate. For me just sitting there and listening to other people talk openly about stuff that I was going threw was like WOW

Group and smaller communities can be a challenge. One group that I belong to, we have members that travel up to an hour so that they can attend.
                Woody

Comment

Hi Leila. I agree that a group might be something to consider. They are a bit like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates - you don't quite know what you'll get but most of them are sweet!

Being shy seems to be a prerequisite for attending.
                  uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello Uni. I never thought of it that way, but you are quite right. Thx.

I don't think I ever met the requirements for shy. How about scared, phobic, miserable,hyper etc. I had every reason going for not going to a support group. Take Care. paul m
                    Helen Keller

Comment

Earlier on in my diagnosis I went to a support group. I found it very hard. I think because I had not accepted my illness and I was completely overwhelmed with what I was hearing. However, lately I have been thinking that I am really lonely and maybe that might be a good idea to attend now.

On another note, I have to see my pdoc this week. My doc and pdoc have been promising me that they will be setting me up with a support worker. I guess it is like a social worker who will help me deal with the illness when docs aren't available. More like CBT. As anyone else had this type of experience. I have been waiting for a long time and don't know whether or not to push the issue.
                      Tracey

Comment

Hello Gtchamp. Many people come back to our group many yrs later. Your right it can be difficult to sit in a room and listen to new terms etc. Plus it took me forever to understand that I probably was going to be like everybody else and take a while to get better. I was looking for a quick cure and nobody seem to have it.

A support worker can have many meanings depending where you live and even how things are set up in your area. You could get someone who is a therapist or you could get someone who knows how to navigate the system. That is they know how to get you into CBT or family counselling or whatever services you need.

I'm not trying to put you off, but because of the large range of services acrooss each province, perhaps your doc or pdoc can best answer the question.

Are they worthwhile? Generally and because of the shortage of docs these days that seems to be the way the health system is going. Tak Care. paul m
                        Helen Keller

Comment

There was a couple of year where I did not go to my group. My head space was just not right.

I have a CSW threw the CMHA. At first we spoke regularly and met on a regular (semi bi-weekly basis) either at home or at a Timmies. As my needs lessen so did her visits. Now I might see her every other month or so, unless something happen.
                          Woody

Comment

what's a CSW?
                            Anne.

Comment

CSW=Community Support Worker
                              Woody

Comment

Working...
                              X