Am I getting better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I getting better?

I have noticed that over the last month I have felt different. More normal, if that can even be considered a word. For the first time since my diagnosis I am enjoying my own company in my house alone and I am finally enjoying my hobby of cooking again. However, I have noticed that I have small pockets of tears but it feels different then any time before. I have started the pill for the first time in ages. The pharmacy told me it was such a low dose, however, I wonder if the hormone is what is causing the problem. The other thing is that I am sleeping alot less and still taking a sleeping pill. I mean I get about 7 hours a day, where I used to get 10. I have alot of stressors in my life right now but I seem to be managing them wonderfully well, however, in the past my doc has said that is something I do. Mask them...then break. However, I feel great! I see the pdoc this Friday and I kinda don't want to tell him all this for fear he might say this is all not normal and change meds and all that. So...anyone been down this path before.

Hi GTchamp

From your post I recognize a number of things that for me meant I was doing well. Cooking is great. For me it was housework. I've been doing pretty well mental health wise the last few years (with a few hiccups) but my son still freaks out if the house starts to slide because he thinks I'm not doing well (and he's right).

Regarding sleep: I usually sleep a lot when I'm depressed. (Preferring to be unconscious than awake and miserable) So for me anyway, getting 7-8 hrs sleep is a good sign. I know for others getting not enough sleep is a red flag.

About the pill, in my teens before bipolar really hit, I found that it helped with my moods. It's been discussed here before and some people were skeptical so it is anybody's guess but what does it matter the source if you're feeling better.

Glad to hear you are finding your happy place now and good for you for sticking it out with the pdoc and medications.

Comment

Reading your post GT Champ does sound like you are doing better.

Restarting old hobbies like cooking is a good sign. The being alone, I do not know you well enough to comment but to some being able to be alone with oneself is considered a good things and to others a bad thing. If you feel good about it, then I would not be worried to much about it. Sleep; if you get up in the morning and you are well rested I would take that as a good sigh. No were does it say that you MUST sleep X hrs.

THE pill is hormones, I would mention it first to your pharmacist and see what he says. ei drug interactions. You might want see what your Pdoc and see what he thinks.

As fare as your sharing with your Pdoc that you are doing better. I would tell mine. Unless you are feeling TOO good, then chances are that you are doing something right and When we got my sleep patterns finally fix (took almost 2 years) I do not know who was more happy, me or my Pdoc. I was happy, but cautiously happy Pdoc need good news from time to time too
      Woody

Comment

Hello Tracey. I'm glad that you are feeling better. Enjoy it. Sometimes we just don't want to believe that good things happen to us or that small changes can make a huge difference.

I would tell my shrink. If he tried to make any changes I would tell him no.

I hope that your mood change is permanent. Mine is semi-permanent and I have to watch for changes. When that happens I try to make as small as change in my meds as possible and for the shortest time.

Now that is because I sometimes take a whole wack of meds and the side effects alone can make me feel lousy.

However I do know some people who end up feeling pretty good most of the time without changing their meds. Perhaps you will be one of them. Take Care. paul m
        "Alone we can do so little;
        Together we can do so much"
        Helen Keller

Comment

Hey guys THANKS for all the positive words of encourangement. I will tell my pdoc and for now I will keep things the same. I'll keep you posted. For now, my family is enjoying some scrumptios meals. YUMMY!

FYI..the being alone thing is HUGE for me as I never like being alone when I am sick. When I am up, I want someone to party with and when down, I just want someone in the house with me. So, it is a good sign.

I knew you guys would have some awesome advice. True to form you all came through. Thanks. I just feel like you are all my sistas and brothers here. I know....AHHHHH.

Take care and I'll talk to you soon.
          Tracey

Comment

Hello Tracey. Once again, Good for You. It's funny though how we are all different(people with bipolar I mean).

Even when I'm flying I can only stand so much company. When I am depressed I could live in a cave by myself. Sometimes I think instead of just bipolar 1, bipolar 2 etc that there is bipolar 401 and bipolar 579 etc as we are all often much different in our symptoms and response to treatment.

But it is really good to hear how you are coming. Take Care. paul m
            Helen Keller

Comment

glad you're feeling better Tracey!
              Anne.

Comment

Hi Tracey

I could use some care packages from your kitchen. Sounds pretty yummy. Glad that you're feeling well.

Comment

Hey sis Tracey, I join Paul in saying just enjoy feeling good!
                  uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hey fam-jam. I totally agree with ya Paul...bipolar is definately unique to each individual.

Just wanted to update everyone and say that perhaps I may have fallen off the band wagon a bit. I have spent all day yesterday sleeping and all morning today. My husband said it was only a matter of time since I always slept 10 hours a day for the last 5 years and then in 1 week went down to 7. He figures I lost a day so I need to make up for it. I don't feel moody or anything though....just tired. So, I guess I will just go with the flow.

Leila: As for those care packages, I would send you some of my special recipes if I could. Tonights menu is roasted chicken and potatoes with vegatables on the side. Sounds plain here but looks pretty on the plate. Mmmmm. That's about the best I can do. If we lived closer, we'd have a date! I love dinner groups and belong to two already.

Comment

since sending food long distance is not quite the best idea, maybe we should just swap recipes then..........
                      Anne.

Comment

No harm there! Awesome idea. Always love to get new ones. Anyone else want to join in?

Comment

Can I have in ?
                          Woody the-next-iron-chef-24.jpg
                          Woody

Comment

Oh my gosh Woody....I don't know how you got yourself on that poster but you look good there! We'll have to figure a way to swap our recipes. Maybe a new forum? Then we can have recipes like chicken soup with ketchup (isn't that right Woody?) for those lazy days and fancier ones for the days when we have more energy.

Comment

Recipes by internet. That would be a good idea, but then I would have to write them down. I'm sort of a little of this and that type of guy.

One thing I will say is a good but cheap and easy meal(for two) is spaghetti, 1/2lb cheap hamburger and spaghetti sauce. Buy some red and green pepper when they are cheap and just dice them, mix them together and divide into meal size baggies and freeze them. (or spicey ones if you want) They will keep for a couple of mths.

I usually buy 3 or 4 large mushrooms and a little bit of celary and I always have onions on hand. Use or don't use whatever peppers, onions etc.

Just cut up the mushrooms, celary and onions then add the peppers cook for a few minutes while cooking hamburg and spaghetti. Then combine all. Easy,fast and cheap. The best part is most can be frozen or stored in a cupboard and just taken out when needed. Some people add garlic powder and salt. Take Care. paul m
                              Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                              X