Antidepressants linked to breastfeeding delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antidepressants linked to breastfeeding delay

The CBC has an article about a study about how taking SSRI can affect the production of breast mild. Read more here.
    Woody

Hello Woody. Thx for the article,however I'm going to pull out my soapbox . In advance I do appreciate the article Woody as it brings up several points . Like why this study was even done as all ssri's are risky for a Mom to be or a new Mom. Other Antidepressants(A/D's) are a better choice.

Both the makers of Paxil (GSK) and Prozac (Eli Lily) specifically say that docs should not prescribe these meds to women who are intending to are or are intending to get pregnant. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists concludes that the use of Paxil during pregnancy can lead to a 1.5 fold increase in birth defects.

Both companies say that in no circumstances should a mother using these products breast feed due to passing on of these meds to the child.

All SSRI A/D's can cause ssri discontuation syndrome, passing it on in the breast milk and then stopping the supply of the ssri eventually could be very bad for the child. Some Docs are afraid of discontuation syndrome having harmful effects on an unborn child.

These guys admit to being inventors and CBC obviously did no research and just printed the story, when the real story should be why ssri's at all.

The other sad thing about this story are some of the peoples comments. Like "these drugs are addictive" (not true) , " if a mother is having to be on A/D drugs , it's not the best time to have a children period . fix your life first and then get healthy " , (hello, fix life first!!!) , " A/D's are bad period and should be avoided like the plagues" . What can I say. While many comments were good. All to many showed not only a lack of understanding, they also showed the desire too remain ignorant. Take Care. paul m
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

One of many places to do some reading Motherisk website.

More recent Info:Article; Canadian Pharmacist's Letter; October 2009; Vol: 16

You'll hear more about limiting antidepressants during pregnancy.
      We used to think that these were very safe during pregnancy.
      But now there are concerns about possible birth defects...a small increased risk of pulmonary hypertension...plus withdrawal symptoms in the newborn.
      Some experts now recommend trying psychotherapy first for milder depression...and saving antidepressants for more serious cases.
      But don't shy away from antidepressants IF they are needed. Untreated depression can also be harmful for the mother and baby.
      For initial treatment recommend an SSRI...but try to avoid paroxetine. Some studies show an association between paroxetine and cardiac defects...but this isn't proven.
      If a pregnant woman is already taking paroxetine, consider whether it would do more harm than good to switch antidepressants. Switching can increase the risk of relapse.
      Last edited by AJ; January 29, 2010, 02:35 AM.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello AJ. Thx for the extra info Unfortunately I have to print a lot to make a small point later. However you and Woody have brought up good points and I'm not arguing. But pointing out a problem with our (the patients) info sometimes.

The following is directly from Eli Lilly's site. Safe use of fluoxetine during pregnancy has not been established. Therefore PROZAC should not be administered to women of childbearing potential unless, in the opinion of the treating physician, the expected benefits to the patient markedly outweigh the possible hazards to the fetus or the child.Post-marketing reports indicate that some neonates exposed to PROZAC, other SSRIs (selectiveserotonin reuptake inhibitors), or newer anti-depressants late in the third trimester have developed complications requiring prolonged hospitalization, respiratory support, and tubefeeding. These features are consistent with either a direct toxic effect of SSRIs and other newer anti-depressants or, possibly, a drug discontinuation syndrome. ( the caps are their's not mine)

PROZAC and its metabolites are excreted in breast milk, and have been observed to reach highlevels in the plasma of nursing infants. Women who are taking PROZAC should not breast feed unless, in the opinion of the treating physician, breast feeding is necessary, in which case the infant should be closely monitored

All of these articles point to one of our major problems, Mother risk sez Prozac is ok during pregnancy( a very reputable source). The Cdn pharmacists say some ssri's are ok and the mfgs say none of their ssri products have been proven safe for a pregnant woman. Who are we to believe? This sort of thing happens all too often. Take Care. paul m P.S.
        Last edited by paul m; January 29, 2010, 03:58 PM.
        Helen Keller

Comment

That's the problem. Nothing is black and white. Manufacturers sit on the side line with their '' Safe use of fluoxetine during pregnancy has not been established. Therefore PROZAC should not be administered to women of childbearing potential unless, in the opinion of the treating physician, the expected benefits to the patient markedly outweigh the possible hazards to the fetus or the childenfits vs risks.' I mean how helpful is that. The CPS and manufacturers warnings only go so far. A pool of resources tell a more accurate story. Even then there is always the unknown.
          AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello AJ. "Markedly outweigh", always has the potential to raise my blood pressure. I also hate the term , during pregnancy this med should only be used if clearly needed(women take so many unecessary meds) .

However my all time hate is for the product information sheets that I receive from my pharmacy. They are very long and detailed, listing how to use instructions and possible side effects. In the very first paragraph it also always lists the following warning.

"This information does not contain any assurances that this product is safe, effective or appropriate for you".

If a bottle of water contained that label you would never buy it. I mean, "no assurance that this product is safe". Nice out if something goes wrong .Take Care. paul m
            Helen Keller

Comment

It is called cover their *ss.
              AJ

-Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

When my Ex was pregnant for our first. The big discussion back then was not SSRI but the simplest of things; heart burn medication! Should or should not... this brand was OK but not this one... only in this trimester and not that one. IT was endless. Every one seem to have there opinion as to what was best for her and to vary from the suggested was akin to a slap in the face. ~shrug~ Both kids came out fine. The Internet was in its infancy at the time and most research had to be done the old fashion way at the library or talking to your OB

I think at one point you have to do your due diligence in research and making an informed sedition. Hopefully this is before you have the pink or blue stripe and you can plan and have a contingency in place.
                Woody

Comment

Working...
                X