Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Term Disability

Hi all,

wondering if anyone here has experience on short term disability due to depression and anxiety via Morneau Shepell please?

because of issues with my psychiatrist and not knowing if she will sign off on my short term disability or not, I took matters into my own hands and filed 2 weeks of unpaid leave from work so that i can visit my friend in the USA (i am all alone here and new to the country which is part of the reason of my depression). They have a house in Douglas, MA and it is near a lake where i was hoping to spend my time.

now that my psychiatrist has guaranteed that she will sign any forms Shepell will send, i have started calling in sick to trigger my short term disability, my question now is, am i still able to visit my friend in the USA? Should i just tell Shepell not to pay me for those 2 weeks that I will be with my friend to avoid any issues? I need someone to lean on right now, desperately, and there is absolutely no one. My psychotherapist's schedule is rarely open that i cant get weekly appointments with her anyway. I see my psychiatrist every 2 weeks as well so will not interfere with that.

any advice?

If you tell the true they usually cut you off and make you payback. I wouldn't say anything just go get better you have earned it. Oh BTW welcome to Canada. I am American and Canadian. If you were going for 2 months then you have to say your going.
    "If we new what we were doing we wouldn't call it research......" Albert Einstein

Comment

A trip would probably be met with the ' if you're well enough to travel then you're well enough to work'.

I don't agree with that thinking, but I think most insurance companies would.

There is a difference between being able to travel and able to work, but I doubt that distinction would be made.
      AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
      for not being what they believe they should be.
      -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Originally posted by Stenacron Man View Post
        If you tell the true they usually cut you off and make you payback. I wouldn't say anything just go get better you have earned it. Oh BTW welcome to Canada. I am American and Canadian. If you were going for 2 months then you have to say your going.
        definitely will only be gone 2 weeks. I dont mind not being paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
          A trip would probably be met with the ' if you're well enough to travel then you're well enough to work'.

I don't agree with that thinking, but I think most insurance companies would.

There is a difference between being able to travel and able to work, but I doubt that distinction would be made.

Thats what im thinking, but im not ill due to being physically unfit so thinking if i ask not to be paid for those 2 weeks, imshould be fine?

Comment

Hello Jdoodles. I don't know for sure what Shepell will do, but when your psychiatrist fills out your claim forms they are going say when you are first unable to work. I don't know for sure, but Shepell may want to interview you while you are off and depending where you work even have a personal interview with you. Depending on the package that your company has purchased they may even want to start you on some sort of program to help you get better.. For example I took this from Shepall web pages ""How it works:

• Once a short-term disability case is opened, the employee undergoes screening for the following common risks: mental health issues, work-related barriers, or musculoskeletal conditions (carpal tunnel syndrome, tendinitis, back pain, etc.). This assessment identifies levels of risk and triages employees into further intervention categories.
            • Within days, at-risk employees are assessed by an expert (psychiatrist and/or an occupational health physician). The employee's case worker and family doctor receive a report that includes medication recommendations, treatment recommendations and follow-up suggestions.
            • Access to additional treatment resources like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) counseling or online tools are also available.
            • When helpful, InfluenceCare™ uses pharmacogenetic testing to identify which medications and/or dosages best suit the employee based on their metabolism and genetic makeup.""
            Not every company takes the full package from Shepell, but I would suggest that you ask a few of your co workers what they went through when they were off work. If you do decide to go to the US, be careful if you use social media at all. The link below shows what happened to person who took a vacation while they were off on sick leave. Take Care. paul m

A Quebec woman on long-term sick leave is fighting to have her benefits reinstated after her employer's insurance company cut them, she says, because of photos posted on Facebook.

"Alone we can do so little;
            Together we can do so much"
            Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by paul m View Post
              Hello Jdoodles. I don't know for sure what Shepell will do, but when your psychiatrist fills out your claim forms they are going say when you are first unable to work. I don't know for sure, but Shepell may want to interview you while you are off and depending where you work even have a personal interview with you. Depending on the package that your company has purchased they may even want to start you on some sort of program to help you get better.. For example I took this from Shepall web pages ""How it works:

• Once a short-term disability case is opened, the employee undergoes screening for the following common risks: mental health issues, work-related barriers, or musculoskeletal conditions (carpal tunnel syndrome, tendinitis, back pain, etc.). This assessment identifies levels of risk and triages employees into further intervention categories.
              • Within days, at-risk employees are assessed by an expert (psychiatrist and/or an occupational health physician). The employee's case worker and family doctor receive a report that includes medication recommendations, treatment recommendations and follow-up suggestions.
              • Access to additional treatment resources like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) counseling or online tools are also available.
              • When helpful, InfluenceCare™ uses pharmacogenetic testing to identify which medications and/or dosages best suit the employee based on their metabolism and genetic makeup.""
              Not every company takes the full package from Shepell, but I would suggest that you ask a few of your co workers what they went through when they were off work. If you do decide to go to the US, be careful if you use social media at all. The link below shows what happened to person who took a vacation while they were off on sick leave. Take Care. paul m

A Quebec woman on long-term sick leave is fighting to have her benefits reinstated after her employer's insurance company cut them, she says, because of photos posted on Facebook.
              Thank you for this. I was actually planning on a digital detox while there. But i know i have to keep in touch with shepell so must have my phone.

Comment

I know you really need the support and connection but I'm wondering if you could possibly postpone the trip until your claim has been approved. I'm sure your psychiatrist would approve or even recommend the trip as part of your treatment plan (i.e. connecting with your support system) but it complicates things so much if you do it ahead of time. I'm worried they may not even approve it once you're back based on your the fact that your condition was such that you were well enough to travel. I don't know. It just seems like you might be setting yourself up for added stress when you least need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Neli View Post
                  I know you really need the support and connection but I'm wondering if you could possibly postpone the trip until your claim has been approved. I'm sure your psychiatrist would approve or even recommend the trip as part of your treatment plan (i.e. connecting with your support system) but it complicates things so much if you do it ahead of time. I'm worried they may not even approve it once you're back based on your the fact that your condition was such that you were well enough to travel. I don't know. It just seems like you might be setting yourself up for added stress when you least need it.
                  Hey Neli, i was thinking the same, my concern is, my friend, while i was going through all the stress from the psychiatrist, already bought me round trip non refundable tickets. At no cost to me at all. Well hopefully they work fast at shepell.

Comment

Hello Jdoodles. Your welcome. My comments weren't meant to scare you, only as a warning. What Shepall may do depends on what sort of plan that the company that you work for purchased. Shepall may do very little and simply accept your doctors statement. However there is a reason why employers hire Shepall and that is to cut costs. Perhaps you can find out if there is an on line site that states the benefits that you are entitled too and what you are required to do. Your human resources dept should be able to help you find out what the policies are and if there is an on line site. I wish you well on everything. Good Luck and Take Care. paul m
                    "Alone we can do so little;
                    Together we can do so much"
                    Helen Keller

Comment

Working...
                    X