EMDR & ACT Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMDR & ACT Therapy

Hi. Starting with a new therapist this week and these are her main therapeutic choices. Any words on howto prepare/what to ezpect? Thanks, all.
    “Depression is feeling like you’ve lost something but having no clue when or where you last had it. Then one day you realize what you lost is yourself.” —Unknown

I don't know about ACT but EMDR can be difficult but I believe the work you do get done during therapy has got to be the most permanent healing I've received ever... It really gets to the root cause of depression and anxiety which is rooted in trauma. Basically the therapy is based on the science of REM stage of sleep whose function is to restore and repair your body to meet the next day. During therapy a list of memories are produced and an emotion tied to each memory is also collected. The Eye movement is enduced through visual, auditory or sensory methods. The result is that the emotion tied to the memory is severed, therefore making the memory no more disturbing than remembering the salt and pepper shaker on the table. I have desensitized and reprocessed about 20% of my memories since September. Every session surprises me at how many of my memories are no longer disturbing. It is also very effective in breaking down cognitive distortions, such as black & white thinking, catastrophising, etc. Hope this helps

Comment

DLove4U Thanks for the info, hope I have enough coverage to make this worthwhile.
      “Depression is feeling like you’ve lost something but having no clue when or where you last had it. Then one day you realize what you lost is yourself.” —Unknown

Comment

No problem Pau57. I hope you have enough coverage too. Are you in Ontario? If so, psychotherapy is now a registered practice and I believe health insurance now covers them. If not, ask for a reduced fee so that you can attend longer. You never know

Comment

Nope, not Ontario. I’m in NS. There is something called a Community Health System. They supposedly treat mental health care consumers but in actual fact they spend most of their time finding reasons to NOT treat you.

Comment

Again, sounds so familiar. Is there anywhere in Canada where there is timely, effective treatment for mental illness?

Comment

Haven’t started EMDR yet, just getting to know one another. Have another question though. Due to extreme emotional abuse over a long period of time and doctor-induced addiction to benzos, my memory is gone (all of it). Best way to put it is, I am trying to rebuild myself from nothing. Is this lack of memory goin* to cause a problem?

Comment

Hello Paul57. I'm not familiar with this kind of therapy so can't enlighten you, but I really do hope it helps you out.
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Thanks Uni. Had my first actual session today, left me exhausted and a little anxious, but worth it in the long run if it lets me live with the nasty stuff.

Comment

Hi Paul 57, sorry I've been out of the loop. I'm glad your first experience was good and I understand tiring. I am often that way after a session; be gentle with yourself. It is good news that you are ready for this type of therapy. I call it facing my demons in a safe place. It can be hard work, but worth it I think. I'd like to hear more if/when you can. Keep up the good work!

Comment

Thanks DLove4U, it wasn’t too bad immediately after the session. I appreciate the support.

Comment

Working...
                      X