Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mocha231
    replied
    Eazybreezy02 these are excellent suggestions. Getting enough sleep is such an important part of self-care. I also find that lack of sleep impacts my mood. Nature is a great way to calm down. I love looking at waterfalls. Thank you for sharing this on the forum.

Mocha231

Leave a comment:

• Eazybreezy02
    replied
    Hello, BP2 here. For me, I find routine is crucial, at least as much as I can (knowing it's not always possible). Under regular circumstances as an example, I try and go to bed within the same hour every night. I do this because it's a trigger and I know proper/enough sleep makes a big difference in my mood. I've cut out alcohol and pot, much to my dismay... but, it has helped a lot. I'm on so many drugs already, I'm pretty sure alcohol and pot weren't helping the situation. My favourite 'calming' thing to do is be in nature. Trail, woodland, by the lake, down at the river, etc. I take in the smell and touch things, like the bark on a tree, the jelly fungus on a stump, the dirt, grass, whatever. All I think about is what I'm touching, smelling, and hearing. I try to figure out which plant it is, what bird it is, etc. and think about how amazing everything around me works together to be so beautiful. By doing this, it takes my mind off of everything else I'd normally be stewing about. Nature's where it's at for me! I am interested in the studies being done on the use of psilocybe mushrooms. At first glance, it seems like it's not recommended for those with Bipolar however maybe once the research is expanded beyond PTSD and Addiction we'll get more of an answer.
    Last edited by Eazybreezy02; June 8, 2021, 01:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lisari
    replied
    I am bipolar too, and I think that's one of the best issues we have to deal with, is a lack of vitamins and healthy food that can raise our levels of happiness in a good mood and make us less prone to the condition itself. I mean for sure the latest discoveries in how to treat such a persisting condition have been tremendous, and I couldn't be more thankful! However, being on medication on a daily basis for years is not a viable solution especially if you have other issues that don't allow you to. For such situations I think the only answer is the benefits of apple cider vinegar gummies. The benefits for the brain are numerous, so you can continue your medication and alleviate the effects of the condition.
    Last edited by Lisari; February 15, 2021, 11:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gossip
    replied
    Always good advice, thanks AJ! Hermitage Park is my favourite place in the city!

Leave a comment:

• AJ
    replied
    I feel the most grounded when I'm outside. Hiking is my best medicine.

Leave a comment:

• Gossip
    replied
    Thank you both for the good suggestions. I do a lot of them already, but there were some new ones too. I'm familiar with Crest.BD, and actually casually friends with the founder. They have some great stuff! If anyone else has suggestions, please keep them coming.

Leave a comment:

• paul m
    replied
    hello Gossip. For me (bipolar one) I have to live a very restricted life style and a take a few meds or I can just go heavy on the meds and become a zombie.. So I chose to take less meds and enjoy my life. By restricted I mean the following . I try and get the right amount of sleep, I watch my sugar intake, I try and get 3 , 20 minute workouts a week where I break out into a sweat. I limited my caffeine intake,Proper diet is important. I try and eliminate stress in my life. For example if I have a function coming up and I know that I won't enjoy it, I try and not worry about it until it actually happens.

I drink very little alcohol and I don't use marijuana or illicit drugs. I find that having 2-3 beer 3 times a week makes a huge difference in my moods .

I stay out of places that can alter my mood. For example strip bars would be one example, if I go into one I can count on going manic, drugs or no drugs.

I watch out for triggers and try and either avoid them or take measures to limit the triggers. For example family functions are a major trigger for me. So while I go I try and arrive late and leave early and take extra breaks to go for a quick 5 min walk.

I try to be aware of my moods. For example if the grass appears a beautiful shade of green , normally I don't notice the scenery, that means I'm probably a little manicy and it's time to up my meds for a short time. I have a lot of other little things that when I notice them I try and figure out what the best course of action is.

I try to remember that I am going to have off days no matter what I do, so when that happens I make sure that I don't feel guilty about cancelling stuff and spending the day in bed. I also try to remember that if I do the right things. Take Care. paul m

P.S. Creast BD is a think tank about all things bipolar. They are all psychologists so there website is loaded with tips on how to live with bipolar http://www.crestbd.ca/
    Last edited by paul m; July 9, 2019, 10:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MissMoods
    replied
    Exercise. I know it sounds simple, but I find daily exercise really helpful. I also don't tie exercise to weight loss but to mental health. That way it does not get mixed up in anything but working on my mental health.
    breathing exercises can also be helpful, so counting 6 breaths in, holding for 4 counts, exhaling for six counts and at the bottom holding for two counts. Repeat for five minutes to begin with.
    YouTube also has a lot of guided meditation you can check out.
    I hope that helps!

Leave a comment:

• Gossip
    started a topic Non-drug treatments

Non-drug treatments

I'm bipolar 1 and have been struggling a bit. Talk to me about non-drug options that you've found helpful, that I could try on top of my meds. I've got some ideas, and the doc has some suggestions, but I'd love other input from people who've been there.
Working...
X