Does therapy help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does therapy help?

Hello. I'm new to the forum, and well, I guess I'm hoping to connect with people who actually understand what I'm living with. My support system has slowly been shrinking, and I suppose I'm trying something new to try and revitalize my «internal fight».

Anyway, my question is about therapy and if it actually helps. I've tried many and have had mostly negative experiences.
    - I had a psychiatrist tell me «If you don't put in the work, you won't get any better!». But his advice was to attend a meditation workshop that cost a few hundred dollars.
    - I had a psychologist tell me «I believe that you believe...»
    - I've seen several therapists over the years, but they've always let me down. For example, the last one I saw had mentioned that I should try group therapy. Never having tried that before, I was willing to try (I need something to help/work, and I started to look forward to meeting people who share similar experiences). But then when I went back and asked about it, she had forgotten and we missed the deadline. So instead, I'm on a waiting list for individual therapy, again. I left so disappointed and dejected.

Will it ever get better/easier? Is it worth it? I feel like I've been fighting and trying to get help for so long...

Thanks,

Welcome to the forums Harleem. I saw a therapist for quite some time. I struggled with some very difficult past traumatic events as well as mental illness. I lost count of how many I 'went thru' before I found one that I could make progress with. How you relate with the therapist is a great determining factor of potential progress to be made. It's was about being open, ready to do the work, and having a therapist that could help me navigate thru the muck of life events that I got stuck in.
    AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
    for not being what they believe they should be.
    -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Hello Harleem. For me therapy is difficult. I have to be on the right meds and in the right mood to get anything out of it. If I'm in a bad place therapy just doesn't work. On the other hand if I use the therapy that I have learned I sometimes can keep myself from going to the bad place. Take Care. paul m
      "Alone we can do so little;
      Together we can do so much"
      Helen Keller

Comment

Hi Harleem,
        I think it is always THERE, something extra you will have to deal with, but I think utilizing any tool you can will make things easier. I have been in therapy on and off for a couple decades. It is a process to find one you really like. Generally psychiatrists do not do much talk therapy; they primary prescribe medications and will ask limited questions about your mood. I highly recommend group therapy. It is helpful to meet with people who are experiencing similar things, it's actually quite amazing the first time. All the best!

Comment

I find both therapy and my support group extremely helpful. Like others have said, it can take some trial and error to find the right fit. I'd dropped off going to both for both schedule and financial reasons, but as I mentioned in another thread I've been struggling lately. I'm now under doctor's orders to get myself back in there, because the doc can see how much it helps me. Good luck finding the right person for you!
          Pressure makes diamonds....

Comment

Thanks. It helps to have found somewhere where others «get it». The difficulties, the issues, the frustrations... Thank you.

​​​​​​I suppose I'm just tired and deflated... I'm in limbo again, waiting for a new therapist to take me on, as well as a new psychiatrist..... but, as you said, doctor's orders, right?! So, I can't give up, I guess...

Comment

Hey Harleem,

I would definitely urge you to check this organization a try. They are small but thats why i like them, they genuinely care about people and growth in people. i'll leave the link below:

Home of Resilient Focus Facebook-f Twitter Envelope Counselling & Therapy that promote growth! Book Appointment Life is a Marathon Sometimes we experience bumps along the path of life’s journey. They may be situational, recurring or long standing; they may involve personal issues, work related or academic/school concerns; they may include health wellness and may even … Continue reading "Home"

Kind regards,

Comment

I have been dealing with bipolar for 38 years. My first group therapy started this past fall. It is the best treatment for me

Comment

Welcome to the forum Lloyd and AMargueri55. I am glad to hear that group therapy has been helpful for you AMargueri55.
                  AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                  for not being what they believe they should be.
                  -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

It is worth consulting a therapist, but we humans want results at the moment. I've been going to the therapist for almost a year. We have online sessions every week. Thanks to him, I began to have more confidence in myself, not to be a victim but a woman who can fight for herself. My trauma is that I have always faced bullying since I was a child. Together we try to get over it.
                    Last edited by JoshuaDickens; September 21, 2021, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Hi I think I must speak about my experience with a .I went there for a therapy for my constant body pain. I was not able to walk or move my head properly. Eventually I started getting depressed for the lack of movements. I always had wanted a person to look after me even for the the bare minimum. I think Therapy can change my mind. I want to work on my body as well as my mind now.
                      Last edited by RunningKnitter; August 26, 2022, 06:03 AM. Reason: Commercial link

Comment

Therpay will help you for the mood changes

Comment

Working...
                        X