Ketamine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ketamine

Anybody have any personal experience with a drug called Ketamine? I only know enough about it to make me very nervous, and it seems to be the latest trend in depression treatment where I live. I'm interested in hearing what people think.
    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Hello Uni I did a bit of research and I never found anything that I overlly liked.. There was of course lots of pro and con on the internet. Take Care. paul m https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana.../ketamine.html , https://www.psycom.net/ketamine-depression
    "Alone we can do so little;
    Together we can do so much"
    Helen Keller

Comment

I only have friends who took it for fun? But Neal Brennan has a stand-up special on Netflix in which he discusses ( it's not a typical stand-up show) using it for depression. I'm also curious about these things (moreso psilocybin).

Comment

Just read the link you shared Paul M. Sounds awful to be honest. I assume it must be used in a micro dose? Things like "sense of detachment" - I've got enough of that already! And "
        When the effects of ketamine wear off, the person may feel anxious and depressed"...

Kaight

Comment

Paul, I didn't realize at first that there were two links in your post. Thanks for making them available.

I've checked them both out and found so many pros and cons that my conclusion is: the jury on ketamine is still out. I can see though, where a person with "ultra resistant depression" might be willing to try it when nothing else has worked.
          uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

This is an old thread but wondering if any of you have read up on psilocybin much (it was mentioned above by MissMoods). I've done some reading on the topic over the last couple years. I'm no expert on its broad applicability to conditions of anxiety, but the FDA recently granted it "breakthrough therapy" status which says something given how conservative the US is on these things in general. A lot of encouraging research findings are being published on its potential.

Here's a somewhat recent article from the Guardian:
            New trials have shown the drug psilocybin to be highly effective in treating depression, with Oakland the latest US city to in effect decriminalise it last week. Some researchers say it could become ‘indefensible’ to ignore the evidence – but how would it work as a reliable treatment?

Most of the studies have been on "full dose" treatments, which entail a full psychedelic experience. Not for everyone. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried microdosing, which is the practice of taking small (micro) doses that don't interfere with daily activities.

Masi

Comment

Hello Masi, and welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with psilocybin. So I'm going to check out the link you posted, thanks!
              uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Oh, it's magic mushrooms, now I get it. Still nothing I have any experience with, although some people swear by them. Maybe someone on the forum can shed some light.
                uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

I’m in Regina, and finished my 11th treatment of Spravatol. I can’t really put into words what it has done for me, and look forward to my twice weekly treatments.
                  Unfortunately, they aren’t covered by any insurance plan, so have to pay the $125 fee, but they are worth even at triple the price.
                  Anyone with TRD should try this. There don’t seem to be a lot places to get it done however.

Comment

Hello BuddyRay, and thanks for posting. I'm glad to hear you've found something that is works for you I'm wondering, is Spravatol another name for ketamine, or is it something else altogether? I have a friend in Saskatoon who had success with ketamine, but the cost is prohibitive if he wants more treatments. Any information you have is appreciated!
                    uni

~ it's always worth it ~

Comment

Hello BuddyRay and welcome. Thx for posting what works for you. Hello Uni. Spravato is very close to ketamine but is marketed as a different drug. Both are way too expensive, but if they work that's great. Take Care. paul m
                      Helen Keller

Comment

Welcome to the forums BuddyRay.
                        AJ

Humans punish themselves endlessly
                        for not being what they believe they should be.
                        -Don Miguel Ruiz-

Comment

Think I’ve been on every anti depressant known in the past 40 years, with little or no success. This is the first time in my life that I’ve known hope, thanks to Spravato.
                          I’m on my 13th treatment as I’m writing this, and I feel a little bit better with each treatment. The cost right now is $50 for the spray (85mg per treatment) out of a 1000 mg bottle, and $125 per treatment. Hopefully, SaskHealth will soon start covering the treatments.
                          I’m still on 2 treatments per week, but will be going to once a week shortly. Eventually it will go to once a month, depending on how I feel.
                          Not sure why this treatment isn’t better known (specially in Canada), but anyone with TRD should ask your Dr. about it .
                          Take care
                          Last edited by BuddyRay; July 3, 2020, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Hello BuddyRay. Thx for your input. Take Care. paul m
                            Helen Keller

Comment

I have suffered from MDD and severe anxiety for the past 20 years. I too have been on the antidepressant merry go round probably taking the equivalent of a new one per year. Some worked some didn't. I can't believe that we don't have a proven new treatment in the last 20 years. Now spravato or nasal spray esketamine is new and apparently effective but cost prohibitive and I would have to leave home and travel 1000 kms for twice a week inpatient treatment. #2 is magic mushrooms. Psilocybin the ingredient in MM is said to have anti depressant properties. Good ones. And it is very affordable. You take 1 trip then microdose yourself ie. Take a dose so low you get the antidepressant effect without the high. A Vancouver company will ship them to you. Caveat is you have to be clean ie no antidepressants in your system at all. Since I'm on 4 and high doses I am trying to taper off them all( boy is that some fun). My question has anyone microdosed using magic mushrooms and does it work. Hopeful Koovman

Comment

Working...
                              X